Hand Guards

FastRnu2

I was wondering if anyone knew of a company making decent looking hand guards for the Gen II FZI. I had factory ones on my Suzuki V-Strom and Triumph Tiger SE and they work great. We had a cold snap here in Southern California with an overnight temp of 35 f. Add the wind chill at 70mph and my digits were icing over. I don’t want the universal clamp on dirt bike kind. Some winter gloves are just too big and bulky. Any ideas?

I was wondering if anyone knew of a company making decent looking hand guards for the Gen II FZI. I had factory ones on my Suzuki V-Strom and Triumph Tiger SE and they work great. We had a cold snap here in Southern California with an overnight temp of 35 f. Add the wind chill at 70mph and my digits were icing over. I don’t want the universal clamp on dirt bike kind. Some winter gloves are just too big and bulky. Any ideas?

Tony swears by his heated grips by Oxford. Even in very cool weather they keep the digits warm. So I hear.
Find them here; Oxford Products

I had a V-Strom but even on it I thought the hand guards looked pretty dorkey. Get some good gloves (heated if necessary) You'll never live down the hand guards on a FZ1 and they don't do much good f you're in the realy cold stuff for long.

When i bought my new bike I also asked for handgaurds for the FZ1N. They mentioned that there where no original or other handgaurds for the FZ1.

They had a FZ1N with handgaurds in the showroom but they had taken handgaurds for a differant model and adapted these to fit the FZ1.

If you want i can check to see which model they used for this.

Gentlemen I agree hand guards would be out of place on an FZI. I did have heated hand grips on both my V-Strom and Tiger. They both worked great at heating the palms. However, when I was on my way back home from Oregon to Southern California last December, the heated grips could barely be felt. It was so cold going over one of the mountain passes that my face shield iced over. My knuckles and digits were completely numb. I think I will take your advice and invest in some quality heated gloves to go with my heated vest.:tup:

Try these

Gentlemen I agree hand guards would be out of place on an FZI. I did have heated hand grips on both my V-Strom and Tiger. They both worked great at heating the palms. However, when I was on my way back home from Oregon to Southern California last December, the heated grips could barely be felt. It was so cold going over one of the mountain passes that my face shield iced over. My knuckles and digits were completely numb. I think I will take your advice and invest in some quality heated gloves to go with my heated vest.:tup:

Oxford also sells handlebar muffs. They are not permanent and could be put on for the specefic ride and then removed. They are fairly cheap and if used in combination with the heated grips should be very effective as they would cut out the wind and keep in the heat from the grips.

Hey FastRnu2

I see you were a Tiger man...how does the new FZ-1 compare? Currently riding a Tiger and looking for more ponies.....and by the way, form follows function regardless of "looks"...if you need the handguards then get them....I do lots of cold weather riding and if I move up to the FZ-1; I will certainly be adding handguards and warmers...

Someone on the ADVrider forum put power madd on his gen 1.

6jgf-1p.jpg

I don't think handguards look that bad at all. I had a 2005 V-Strom 650, so they weren't stock on mine. I think they only came on the V-Strom 1000. I still wanted some, but ended up trading that in for a Hayabusa before I put them on the bars. I've seen them on Buell XB12x and Ducait Hypermoto. Dont' look bad at all if you ask me. Form follows function. Good call.

If you currently own a Triumph Tiger, you will be amazed like I was over the speed and agility of the current FZ1. It’s suspension is more taught, acceleration is instant, and the braking is spot on. Yet like the Tiger it can be driven as docile as needed. With the aftermarket hard cases it can be an excellent Sport-Tourer when called upon as well.

You hit it spot on! While I'v never thought serriously about actually aquiring a Tiger due to the high inital buy in prices their getting, pluss the 'slight' accessability problem of locally found parts and service, I think that the FZ1 is a vastly overlooked Sport-tourer that is way quicker and faster than any touring bike need be.....but oh boy its fun.The Fz1 is superior to many touring bikes with just a fiew accessories like a higher windshield and good hard luggage, or soft, your choice. I'v seen some really good looking soft stuff too. and it appeared that there was nothing lacking for the cross country journey, infact in some instances the soft luggage lookes more at home and just had that ambiance of a explorer. I have tossed the idea of building my own steel tube panniers and using 'Metal Mule' hard boxes.
If you currently own a Triumph Tiger, you will be amazed like I was over the speed and agility of the current FZ1. It’s suspension is more taught, acceleration is instant, and the braking is spot on. Yet like the Tiger it can be driven as docile as needed. With the aftermarket hard cases it can be an excellent Sport-Tourer when called upon as well.

After looking at the prices for racks and such, I have tossed around a similar idea. Maybe not with Metal Mule hard cases but pelicans or these (if they ever get them back in stock). In the end, after looking at several fz's in touring trim with both hard and soft luggage, I've gone back to the soft luggage camp. I just need some new saddle bags to go with my tank and tail bag.

Handguards

Homepage - EN Sw-motech may have the answer, they are purpose built and look as though they are model specific, which thay are not, but don't look borrow'd from the V Strom either. It appears that the proximity of the guard in relationship to the knuckle area is well fitted. There is however no listing for the FZ1, but there many listings for other new bikes, so the clutch and front brake resivour type of fittment should be easy enough. I think you'll see that this could be easily modded to fit the FZ by simply finding a bike listed with a simmilar control arrangement.

Last edited:
Click on the site, when the motorcycle appears, choose 'protection' there in front of the tire, click on it, it will take you to the page where you will see the handguards.

Back