Handle bar removal

coalt45

I need some help AGAIN :banghead::banghead: How do you get the handle bars completely off the bike? Not sure how to get the grips, switches or the levers off of the bike. I am trying to paint the handle bars and the triple tree black but can't do it because I can't get them off.

Sorry for asking so many questions I just wanna do it the correct way and be able to get them back on. Thanks for your help

So I have the handlebars 99% of the way off. how do you get the clutch perch off? Thats the only thing left I have slide it up and down the bars but on the right side by the front break lever there is a little nob there thats stopping it

You need to take off the left grip. Even if you do get the left perch off the right side, you'll scratch the new paint when you reinstall it. Just use a slender screwdriver & some WD-40 and CAREFULLY pry between the grip & the handlebar to seperate the glue from the two (spraying down in the grip with WD-40, etc. to loosen). If you're not careful, you'll likely jam the screwdriver in between the two & puncture the grip.
Here's a pic of mine completed:
100_2424.jpg

Last edited:
everytime I see that picture.....I find it hard to believe that those are factory parts with some polishing elbow grease......my hat is still off to ya......

everytime I see that picture.....I find it hard to believe that those are factory parts with some polishing elbow grease......my hat is still off to ya......

Thank ya, sir. The side covers are next. It will be a while, though. :( I already bought the gaskets for it but I'm in the middle of a big stainless project for a customer right now. :)
I'll post some pics when they're done, if you think you'd want to see 'em.

Thank ya, sir. The side covers are next. It will be a while, though. :( I already bought the gaskets for it but I'm in the middle of a big stainless project for a customer right now. :)
I'll post some pics when they're done, if you think you'd want to see 'em.

I just painted my covers black sure they don't look as nice as yours will. Interested in seeing yours when they are finished.

Well I just took a can of spray paint and painted them black. Im no painter I just removed aimed and sprayed but yes I like them

Did you remember to scuff them up before spraying? If not they will chip easily. If you forgot, you can always let the paint dry, scuff it up again, and then re-spray. Any soapless scouring pad will do.

Oh, and we need pics!!!!

Did you remember to scuff them up before spraying? If not they will chip easily. If you forgot, you can always let the paint dry, scuff it up again, and then re-spray. Any soapless scouring pad will do.

Oh, and we need pics!!!!

Yeah I scuffed it up and shouldn't have you can see the swirl marks where I used the Steel wool. I don't know much about painting so I took someone at works advice and know you can see swirl marks under the paint

Yeah I scuffed it up and shouldn't have you can see the swirl marks where I used the Steel wool. I don't know much about painting so I took someone at works advice and know you can see swirl marks under the paint

If you do a light scuffing with a fine pad, you shouldn't see any swirl marks in the paint. How many coats did you spray? More than one I hope. Also I always use a high build primer first to fill in any imperfections before applying the finish paint. It's not a big deal. Let it dry thoroughly and then use a 800 or 1000 grit pad and scuff it in one direction. Then apply consecutive coats of paint and you shouldn't see anything but a nice smooth paint job.

I really hate the silver handlebars also. I would love to go gold but black would be good. I have thought about aftermarket bars already painted, just trying to decide what is easy way to go. Either way i have to take everything off and put it back. Curious as to how long it takes to remove bars and all the parts?

I really hate the silver handlebars also. I would love to go gold but black would be good. I have thought about aftermarket bars already painted, just trying to decide what is easy way to go. Either way i have to take everything off and put it back. Curious as to how long it takes to remove bars and all the parts?

I bet a set of handlebars would probably cost next to nothing to have powder coated. You'd probably end up with a much more durable finish. I'd like to do my bars black as well as the top triple tree.

Winter = time

Assuming you get a winter in your part of the planet, means you should have time to take things apart. This means that getting the bars powder-coated would be your cheapest alternative. Having just had a part powder-coated I can tell you it is quick and economical. If you paid more than $20 I would be shocked ! And there are so many colours available that Gold to match your forks or wheels should be no problem.

If you need a picture of the handlebars from the service manual with all the torque settings for the various parts , let me know. I will scan it and post it.:deal:

if you do.....do not have the areas under the girps done....you might be able to get a set of rubber grips on, but nothing that is machined, say Rizoma....

upon re-reading, before posting.....same holds true for layers of paint...

Back