handle bars

burkerider

Hi people. on a recent rainy day with not much to do i thought i'd play around with the angle of my bars. I have the standard set but always felt they were just a bit wrong for some reason. I loosened everything connected and twisted them right down towards me and had to readjust clutch and brake angles, i couldn't move the start button, horn etc because of the locator holes but i can still reach them easily. The result is a whole new bike. I love it. I pinch my fingers a bit on the tank if turning full lock but that's only at zero k's. The angle is perfect for the shape of my arms and taking on the twisties is a breeze. Now my bike is perfect and all i want to do is ride. Just thought i'd share.:sport12:

I agree 100 percent about the handle bars being at an odd angle. Just doesnt feel right to my wrists. The bars need to be shaped more like clip-ons, and thats precisly what turning them downward accomplishes.

I intend to do the same thing with my bars when I install the SW-Motech bar back risers. I think with the extra 1 inch up and and 1 inch back of rise the bar backs should prevent any finger pinching. I'm going to either file the tabs off, or drill new holes to allow the controls to be pivoted also.

My complaint about the bars is their width. I'd like it if my hands could be about 1" closer towards the middle. I think I see how to loosen and slide brake and clutch levers/ control handle bar units, but how do I move the grips in? Do I have to cut the bars?

My complaint about the bars is their width. I'd like it if my hands could be about 1" closer towards the middle. I think I see how to loosen and slide brake and clutch levers/ control handle bar units, but how do I move the grips in? Do I have to cut the bars?

Yes, you would have to cut the bar on either end, but then I don't know if there would be enough of a threaded area left to screw in the bar end wights. Might just be easier to find narrower bars...maybe Gen I FZ1 or FZ6 :confused0024:

You can cut the bars but I think you lose the ability to put the stock bar ends back in unless you can get the threaded inserts back inside the bars further. I've never taken them apart though.

Another thing you can do is remove the controls and drill a new locator hole to allow the controls to go back to stock rotation. Simple to accomplish.

I like the angle of the bars and did not like the turned-in angle of clip-ons or the FZ6. This brings up another point. For those looking for bars that are more UP and BACK, put a set of FZ6 bars on the bike. Cheaper than the risers by FAR and you get nearly the same result. The FZ6 bars and angled in a bit and not as flat as the FZ1 bars.

I'll bet you can find a local rider on the FZ6 forum that would be willing to meet up and swap bars with you in a heartbeat! One of their mods is putting the FZ1 bars on. :D

I cut 1/2" off each end on my bars. Makes all the difference in the world. I have aftermarket bar ends so I didn't have to worry about screwing in the stock bar ends.

I agree that turning them down is better. I cut off the plastic tabs but would have to file off the metal brake tab or just drill a new hole. I also think you could get the same effect with the bars straight but still lower. SV stands. I have some parts bikes sitting around. I looked at the stands on a 81 Kaw 440ltd and they will work I believe. A good 1/2 inch or even lower. I will get them removed and take some pics. Plus you can get drag bars that are narrower for 20 bucks all over the place. Might do that too.

Back