Handlebar Mod-Your Opinions Wanted

Have opinions on the following Handlebar Mod?

SV650 risers (lower the bar 1") plus Renthal ultra low street bars.

Real experience? What you've heard? Your 2 cents?

When one has a limited imagination like myself, it's hard to visualize the end result and sometimes, unfortunately, after lots of time and money have been spent. Trying to avoid that if possible.

So, whats wrong with this mod? What's right?

Yes, I'm looking for a more Sport-tour set-up not unlike Honda's VFR 800.

Read about SV650 riser mod here: SV650 Handlebar Riser Mod (1" lower) - FZ1OA Message Board

Read about Renthal ultra low street bars here: 7/8 Applications

BTW: I did do a search, but couldn't find this exact set up. :bs:

Last edited:
Kept the original bars and installedsv650 risers to lower bars by 1". I like it as it is mor sporty position and added vario foorpegs to raise and move back the pegs. Lower risers do not intrude with fairing or tank so all is good.

SpeedyMoto.com has the "Tall Boy" clip-ons that may be a great adjustable alternative here, albeit quite expensive at nearly $300. They are nice though!
Great folks also.

SpeedyMoto.com has the "Tall Boy" clip-ons that may be a great adjustable alternative here, albeit quite expensive at nearly $300. They are nice though!
Great folks also.

Those appear similar in concept to Convertibars and for some reason I just don't like the looks of them. Yet, multiple settings makes lots of sense-no doubt.

How much did you cut your bars and were they the OEM bars? What effect did you realize?

I've already got the SV650 risers but need to pickup 2X 3.5 inch bolts for a first try at the mod with OEM bar.

I'd have to lose the GPR steering stabilizer if I wanted to install those risers. For those that want a more aggressive position, they certainly make sense. Curious to see what the pictorial outcome of this is. :D

I am wanting to do the same mod but not having any luck finding used SV risers. Any suggestions or best to just buy them new?

Thanks
Chuck

Apparently some people have luck with eBay - New & used goods and others at Suzuki SV650 Forum. I had no luck or patience so I purchased parts new at Motorsports Superstore. About $100.
Here are the part numbers:
56211-17G00-13L - top clamp 2 needed
56221-17G00-13L - riser 2 needed
07130-08257 - top allen bolts 4 needed
You'll also need 2 bolts and nuts to mount the risers. The size is 3/8" X 3 1/2" and may be purchased at most hardware stores.

I'm very please with the results! (pics to follow) I kept the OEM bar-for now-and tinkered with the basic mod.
I was pleased with the improvement after an initial test ride, but knew it could be better.
I tried adding two washers,lifting the risers about 1/8 inch, and tilted the bar up slightly. I didn't expect much difference, but this put me right in the sweet spot-at least for me. I was surprised such a slight adjustment would make such a difference; concluding bar position is more personal than I'd realized. Additionally, now my fingers had room between the bars and the tank at full turn. (Not a huge problem before, but still better with some room imo)

Last edited:
I removed the OEM riser and secured the SV650 riser here with bars fully turned.
One can utilize this access with a short ratchet/ wrench or disassemble the inner fairing if more room is needed
View attachment 3886

SV650 Risers lower the bar exactly 1". I wasn't totally happy with that and found if I raised the risers with washers approx. 1/8 inch and tilted the bar up slightly, I hit a sweet spot-at least for me.
View attachment 3887

View attachment 3888

View attachment 3889

I intend to ride with this set up for several months before I decide if an after market bar could make position even better.

For me, this mod was well worth the $100 price tag.

:sport12:

I´m also interested in lowering the risers a bit, and i found this link on ebay,
will this lower the handlebar? I found various sizes. In german is hard to get what it is :)

SW-Motech Lenkererhöhung 30m für Yamaha FZ1 FZ 1 Fazer bei eBay.de: Markenspezifische Teile (endet 10.09.10 16:18:30 MESZ)

Those may work, but I'm not sure if they are for the Gen I or Gen II FZ1. When I translated it this was the gist of it:

Risers 30 mm
Suitable for vehicles with 22 mm bars and hole distance 30 mm - 37 mm
To improve the riding position
CNC-machined from high strength aluminum alloy
Black powder coated

Those may work, but I'm not sure if they are for the Gen I or Gen II FZ1. When I translated it this was the gist of it:

Risers 30 mm
Suitable for vehicles with 22 mm bars and hole distance 30 mm - 37 mm
To improve the riding position
CNC-machined from high strength aluminum alloy
Black powder coated

Yeah, o forget about that. I´m going to ask the seller, if it fits it´s a good price, a litlle cheaper than sv650 risers, and better looking , in my opinion :)

I agree agree also that they are better looking than the SV650 risers. Just found them on the SW Motech site so yes those will fit :D

Bar Risers. ø 22mm. h 30mm. Black. - Bar Risers. ø 22mm. h 30mm. Black. - SW-MOTECH & BAGS-CONNECTION

My wife has these on her FZ6R. They work great and she is happier with the bars a bit higher because she's a small woman and needed a bit less reaching. Also, the FZ6R risers are reversible. You can move the handlebars 20mm toward the front or rear by swiveling them. The FZ6R also sports a seat that is mountable in a high and low position. ;)

My wife has these on her FZ6R. They work great and she is happier with the bars a bit higher because she's a small woman and needed a bit less reaching. Also, the FZ6R risers are reversible. You can move the handlebars 20mm toward the front or rear by swiveling them. The FZ6R also sports a seat that is mountable in a high and low position. ;)

Well I just went back and read the info on SW Motech's site and these don't replace your stock rises, but rather sit on top of them to raise your bars even more.

Maverick01 looks like these are not going to lower the bars like you wanted. You might have to go for the SV650 risers after all.

Well I just went back and read the info on SW Motech's site and these don't replace your stock rises, but rather sit on top of them to raise your bars even more.

I suspected something was up as shape on bottom didn't match OEM. Kinda surprised GYTR hasn't produced lowing risers for Gen II as they did for Gen I.:confused0024:

I suspected something was up as shape on bottom didn't match OEM. Kinda surprised GYTR hasn't produced lowing risers for Gen II as they did for Gen I.:confused0024:

Yea, Yamaha didn't make some key GYT-R accessories for the Gen II like they did for the Gen I. Risers and CF bits come to mind right away.

Hi! I have Rizoma 42mm risers and Renthal Fatbar 686 installed. The handles are almost the same height as original but because of smaller sweep more forward. The riding position is more forward with wider elbows like dirt-bike riders before start.
I didn't like the looks of original handlebar. It looks kind of simple and cheap! The I love how Fatbar looks! And there is a choice of different bar models to choose from. I think Fatbar TRIAL 673-01 would be even better. Since dirt-riding is so popular is US I am sure there are stores that have full range of bars.
Sorry for my English. I am from Europe an English is not my native language :)

Last edited:
Hello, i have 42mm Rizoma risers & Rizoma fatbars. The position is about 1" lower and 1" wider each end over stock, the lines will fit so no need for new lines. This setup gives up a slightly more aggressive riding position and more leverage.

Back