Harbor Freight

I bought a knockoff Dremel before... it lasted about 3 uses... was using the cutting wheel to get rid of the rear mudflap... and the motor burned out halfway through.. so.. bought a realy Dremel... should have done it in the first place... and I'd warn against the battery model as well...

Torque wrenches... it's worth the extra cash to get one that you're sure of the quality control... you want to know that 85 ft-lbs is 85 ft-lbs...

I have a knock off that I got from pep boys that looks (and probably is) flimsier than that thing. I used it to cut the accessory hole in my panel, grind the rivets, trim the dawgs toenails and it's holding up fine. It's a little underpowered but it's not as robust looking as the thing you linked to. If I used it more, I'd upgrade to a dremel or maybe even this before the dremel. I am from the school of thought buy inexpensive to determine if you need to spend the big bucks.

That being said, with the coupon in the back of many cycle mags, I'd do it.

Last edited:
It has been hit or miss for me. I got a cordless drill one time that only lasted a year. I have also have a saws-all from there that has lasted 6 and is still going strong. My suggestion would be to get their warranty on anything you get that is electric in nature.

All the hand tools I have ever bought there I had no problems at all. Other than keeping them lubed to prevent rust.

you get what you pay for......limited use....iffy.

Anything more, spend the bucks.

Look for corded, as Aaron says, b/c the batteries will die on ya when you need it most (if not the unit iteself).

I took a little time to research comments on the line of tools they sell and there were far more negative than positive replies. If you want a tool you can put in your tool chest and use for a long time buy a good tool even if it costs three or four times the money it will be well worh it. The same applies to a torque wrench, get a good Crafsman or equilavent and have it for life. And by the way, on the subject of torque wrenches, I just read a good article in Mechanics Illustrated that said to have even the good ones re-calibrated at least once a year and to return the adjuster to "zero" after each use.

I'd like to think I'm sort of an expert when it comes to Harbor Freight. The store is about 15 or 20 minutes from my house and I have shopped there probably 50 times.

Rule #1 Never buy electric tools from them and expect them to last. The only good thing about the electric tools is that they give you no problems exchanging them, but who wants to be going back and forth.

Rule #2 Precision tools such as torque wrenches should be left to Sears or Snap-on.

All other mechanical things such as jacks, stands, safety clothing, etc. are okay to buy. The jacks, stands, and tire changers are good if you swap out their hardware with some good Grade 8 hardware.

Usually when a price seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Having had a motorcycle shop in Redlands California that sold Chinese pit-bikes and quads along with Urals and Royal Enfeilds from India, I'll tell you this about Chinese stuff.....All the bolts are really one-time use as they typically gall on the first or second removal. The metalurgy is second to none,............. as the worst. Their metals used in just about everything is crap. They copy well all the rest of the worlds tech. So keeping that in mind, buying 'dopey' stuff like a lift or a floor jack or some big heavy thing might last a while, but as for precision tools, its far better to buy something of another origin. Torque wrenches would be something I'd be suspect of, real suspect. Wrenches and sockets and such are ......ok, but again, expect limited serviceability before they show signs of wear, and you dont get verry good service out of open-end wrenches after a year or so, less if you use them alot. The key thing when choosing a Chinese thingie, is to remember the poor metal strength and tendancy to deform rather quickly. Their plastic and rubber items are pure CRAP, and their lifespans can be counted in weeks.... no UV protection there................but yea there are a fiew things that would be worth buying.

I'm going to 2nd what Billy stated... Mechanical items are OK... power tools are off limits. Although, I do have the hoist from them and it's been working without fail.

I also have the 3/8ths torque wrench and it works well too. I tested it against a Snap-on and it was within an acceptable tollerance, if anything, it was a little light and needed an extra lb to obtain the right torque when over 20 ft/lbs.

Air tools? YMMV... Stick with what Billy said and you'll do OK!

I use harbor and northern freight. Good stuff, harbor is cheaper. Takes awhile to get the stuff, though, from both places.

I do buy cordless drills from harbor, but use them less than a dozen times per year. They do not stand up to being dropped often, but that's ok as the last 19 volt I bought for 19 BUCKS, and lasted like 3/4 years, before I dropped once too many.

Bought a cheap table saw from northern for like 150, and it saved me 1k dollars. yup. Rear stand from Northern or harbor, can't remember which, going strong still. Bunch of tools, lights, other stuff, all great quality. Couple of great torque wrenches: work perfectly. I think I got one from harbor and the other from northern.

Basically light duty home owner stuff. Can't go wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back