Has anyone used a head wrap kit on your FZ1?

I want to turn my headers black. I have wrapped before without issues.
I like the look of the wrap but I like the look of black ceramic also.

So......

1. Does any manufacturer make a black header? Like if I bought a full Micron system or something.

2. Is there anything other than ceramic coating out there to get them black? High temp paint? Exhaust paint?

Ceramic

I want to turn my headers black. I have wrapped before without issues.
I like the look of the wrap but I like the look of black ceramic also.

So......

1. Does any manufacturer make a black header? Like if I bought a full Micron system or something.

2. Is there anything other than ceramic coating out there to get them black? High temp paint? Exhaust paint?

The headers get hot enough to burn off anything other than ceramic. I know this from experience. I had a 4 into 1 on a FZ600 high temp powder-coated. It was burnt off after the first ride. I then had them ceramic coated. They are still good to this day (2 owners later).

The ceramic coating cost me $100.

Ceramic is also available in a range of colors, like black (gloss or matt) silver, red, blue.

Last edited:
VHT makes a flameproof paint specifically for headers. I haven't used the flame proof but have used regular VHT paint. It works wonders, especially when applied properly.
Most sleds come from the factory with a heat shield and heat resistant insulation. I take that off sleds all the time because it has held water and rotted out the pipe.
I personally wouldn't use a wrap I'd go with either ceramic or the VHT. High temp powder coat won't hold up to exhaust temps according to the best shop we have in town here. I asked...
I put VHT on my uncle's sled about 3 years ago without much prep and its just now coming off. That's with no clear on top.

Years ago

you can get the wrap in black.
I too have never had problems with the wrap.

Where did you get the coating for $100?

The FZ 600's pipe which is a stock 4 into 1 was done in Calgary about 10 years ago at Jet Hot Coatings. Ask Dustin how it held up, since he bought it from me.

Honestly, even back then it was a great deal and I thought maybe the office charged me for powder coating by accident instead of ceramic, but I just paid the bill and left (with a smile).

Last edited:
Cheapest I have found the ceramic coating is $160.
Wrap might be the best route.

Just remember if you want it to last without rust issues ceramic is the way to go. If the header rots out on you it will cost you A LOT more in the end. It is also incredibly easy to clean with the ceramic on it.

Last edited:
Back