Has anyone used a head wrap kit on your FZ1?

I have seen exhaust wrap on motorcycles for years but this particular wrap caught my eye. I thought that it would look good on my 2004 Skunk.

ExhaustWrap.jpg

Vance & Hines Header Wrap Kit - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

I know it can be done because it's just exhaust wrap. Plus I saw a Youtube video where a guy was "smoking" his wrap.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vZAL-bKndg]YouTube - FZ1 exhaust wrap burn[/ame]

Just wandering if you guys had seen this upgrade and what you thought of it? How does the wrapping hold up? etc.

Last edited:
The one problem you might encounter is that the header wrap will hold moisture to the pipe causing corrosion to accelerate as opposed to with no header wrap. The up side is that it helps contain the heat better and channel it out the pipe. Won't be much, but it will increase horsepower a little.

The one problem you might encounter is that the header wrap will hold moisture to the pipe causing corrosion to accelerate as opposed to with no header wrap. The up side is that it helps contain the heat better and channel it out the pipe. Won't be much, but it will increase horsepower a little.

OK - I have just started hearing about the corrosion part of this. I wasn't sure about that.

Great point. I have heard horror stories of auto headers rotting out prematurely because they are wrapped and any moisture that builds up between the wrap and the header can't escape.

I used it on my 1125R in an attempt to control the heat of the exhaust from boiling the gas in the frame, and cooking my privates. It didn't do anything. When I removed the wrap there was some corrosion on the SS manifolds. I can't see a reason to use it on the FZ.

I would stay away from it. Used it years ago in a car and didn't do anything other than accelerate the rusting issue. FZ1 headers are ss so corrosion might not be as big of an issue, but for heat control invest the money in ceramic coating instead. There are several color choices out there (including black) and they should last for a long time. At one point I had ceramic coated my stock header and it looked good ;)

I would stay away from it. Used it years ago in a car and didn't do anything other than accelerate the rusting issue. FZ1 headers are ss so corrosion might not be as big of an issue, but for heat control invest the money in ceramic coating instead. There are several color choices out there (including black) and they should last for a long time. At one point I had ceramic coated my stock header and it looked good ;)

About how much did that run?

If you remember, can you tell me about how much the ceramic coating cost you? I was also thinking about using the wrap, but I like this look much better.

Every bike forum I've been on had far more negative input about wraping your pipes than positive and that was because of corrosion problems from water getting trapped between the pipes and the wrap. It probably wont be as bad with good stainless pipe but never the less, the pipes will get a lot worse with a wrap than they will without it. It's one of those "fixes" that can be worse than what it's trying to repair.

The question is, why do it? Too much radiant heat? Performance guys claim more HP if you get more heat out the end of the pipe. I know from experience it holds moisture, doesn't last long (looks like hell pretty quickly), hard to install in a clean looking way, if you get oil on it during oil change it's just gross, and if you remove it you have to do major clean up on the headers.

Back