Has anyone used a head wrap kit on your FZ1?

The question is, why do it? Too much radiant heat? Performance guys claim more HP if you get more heat out the end of the pipe. I know from experience it holds moisture, doesn't last long (looks like hell pretty quickly), hard to install in a clean looking way, if you get oil on it during oil change it's just gross, and if you remove it you have to do major clean up on the headers.

I will be happy to answer.
I have been noticing my exhaust pipe beginning to change colors and I really don't like it so I started looking for alternatives. I was browsing Motorcyclesuperstore's website and I found the pic I posted. I will post again for reference:

0000-Vance---Hines-Header-Wrap-Kit---.jpg

I personally think that looks pretty sharp. HOWEVER, life has taught me that you do not always get what is advertised.
LOL
Sounds like you have a personal grudge against these things. I don't think they would be hard to install. Keeping them clean was a big concern. LOL That is why I asked for people's input that have used them. :D As far as corrosion, depends on who you listen to. I have read it both ways.
Ultimately I was looking for a cheap alternative to powdercoating. The cheapest estimate I got in this stupid little town that I live was $300. That is about twice what other members are reporting. I guess it's the law of supply/demand. That is the only guy doing powdercoating.
I don't know if you saw it or not but I also posted the thread: "Has anyone used one of the DIY powdercoaters?" about the same time as this thread. I honestly think these internet forums are an amazing tool to look at any idea from all angles.
http://www.998cc.org/forum/bar/10737-anyone-tried-powder-coating-home.html

Last edited:
I'm going to try my best, this hotel thing has me concerned. I got a little spend happy this month! You need a room mate? That'd help.

On the other forum in the what did you do to your bike thread I have a post where I first cleaned my pipes with before and after pics. That should show you what you can expect.

Last edited:
I'm going to try my best, this hotel thing has me concerned. I got a little spend happy this month! You need a room mate? That'd help.

On the other forum in the what did you do to your bike thread I have a post where I first cleaned my pipes with before and after pics. That should show you what you can expect.

Awesome!!!
Thank you!!!
Yeah - that would be great. I need a roomate and that will cut our bill at least in half. Your rock!! You are saving me all kinds of money :party0011::party0011:
I will go check out your post.

Great, I'll be ready to make reservations mid next month.

What nights do you need reservations? I know quite a few are getting there Thursday and leaving Monday morning. If that works for you I will go ahead and make reservations on my credit card so we can hold a room. So that will be a 4 night deal. Split between the two - it should be right at $100. That is pretty good for 4 nights.
I have emailed my co-worker and I'm trying to work things out. I think having a roomate will make me go ahead and commit my vacation time to the this trip.
The other thing that I want to do is race in The Texas Mile.

TEXAS MILE // OFFICIAL SITE // 3 DAYS, 1 MILE: NO SPEED LIMIT

However, they do that twice a year , so I can catch it again in February. I work 7 days on and 7 days off (Thur-Thur). Unfortunately I am scheduled to work for both events.

I'm living in Brownwood, Texas right now. I will post a map so you know how I'm coming in.

ArkansasTrip.jpg

Great, I'll be ready to make reservations mid next month.

What nights do you need reservations? I know quite a few are getting there Thursday and leaving Monday morning. If that works for you I will go ahead and make reservations on my credit card so we can hold a room. So that will be a 4 night deal. Split between the two - it should be right at $100. That is pretty good for 4 nights.
I have emailed my co-worker and I'm trying to work things out. I think having a roomate will make me go ahead and commit my vacation time to the this trip.
The other thing that I want to do is race in The Texas Mile.

TEXAS MILE // OFFICIAL SITE // 3 DAYS, 1 MILE: NO SPEED LIMIT

However, they do that twice a year , so I can catch it again in February. I work 7 days on and 7 days off (Thur-Thur). Unfortunately I am scheduled to work for both events.

I'm living in Brownwood, Texas right now. I will post a map so you know how I'm coming in.

ArkansasTrip.jpg

Back to heat wrap LOL.

I've used it in the past with no real issues but I do two things a lot of guys don't do. I won't say that this is foolproof but it has worked for me.

1) First, clean, then paint the header with high temp paint. Yeah, the paint ain't gonna last on headers, (unless it's wrapped over by heat wrap) Be sure the paint is dry before you wrap.

Use your preferred method to wrap the exhaust as neat as possible. I like to soak the wrap in water and apply it wet. This makes the wrap easier to manipulate and helps tighten the wrap when it dries out. Be sure you let it dry completely before going to the next step.

2) After you wrap, saturate the wrap with high temp paint (I mean really SOAK the wrap in Hi Temp paint). It will penetrate the wrap and become a moisture barrier that even oil will wash right off.

I have wrapped the following rides.

'89 GSXR1100, '93 XR628DS, '95 ARCTIC CAT EX 500SP.

I have NEVER had any rust.

GSXR1100 had it for 40K miles. The only downside is the roost will eventually chew it up. When I removed it prior to sale @ 62K, no rust.

XR628 - still has it on, but is really chewed. No rust, and this bike has been ridden in rain, mud, snow.

EXT500SP - This was the most unusual application, never saw anyone else do it to thier sled. I was getting alot of heat on the hood, and this stopped it.

The only way that I can think of for rust to occur, is if the others don't ride that much, bike sits, and moisture from short trips condenses. But, I don't know for sure.

S.S. doen't really rust, it oxidizes to a film, then slows dramatically.

I still have a roll and am gonna remove, wrap my headers, spray with exhaust paint (wap is the light shade), the re-install.

Back to heat wrap LOL.

I've used it in the past with no real issues but I do two things a lot of guys don't do. I won't say that this is foolproof but it has worked for me.

1) First, clean, then paint the header with high temp paint. Yeah, the paint ain't gonna last on headers, (unless it's wrapped over by heat wrap) Be sure the paint is dry before you wrap.

Use your preferred method to wrap the exhaust as neat as possible. I like to soak the wrap in water and apply it wet. This makes the wrap easier to manipulate and helps tighten the wrap when it dries out. Be sure you let it dry completely before going to the next step.

2) After you wrap, saturate the wrap with high temp paint (I mean really SOAK the wrap in Hi Temp paint). It will penetrate the wrap and become a moisture barrier that even oil will wash right off.

Thanks Phil - Those are some pretty solid ideas. I appreciate it.

I have wrapped the following rides.

'89 GSXR1100, '93 XR628DS, '95 ARCTIC CAT EX 500SP.

I have NEVER had any rust.

GSXR1100 had it for 40K miles. The only downside is the roost will eventually chew it up. When I removed it prior to sale @ 62K, no rust.

XR628 - still has it on, but is really chewed. No rust, and this bike has been ridden in rain, mud, snow.

EXT500SP - This was the most unusual application, never saw anyone else do it to thier sled. I was getting alot of heat on the hood, and this stopped it.

The only way that I can think of for rust to occur, is if the others don't ride that much, bike sits, and moisture from short trips condenses. But, I don't know for sure.

S.S. doen't really rust, it oxidizes to a film, then slows dramatically.

I still have a roll and am gonna remove, wrap my headers, spray with exhaust paint (wap is the light shade), the re-install.

Thanks for telling me about your experiences.
You know this rust thing is really strange. There does not seem to be an exact answer as to whether or not these wraps cause rust. IDK - I still think powder coating is the best thing but it's also the most expensive and the guys around here are quoting crazy prices.
Well I think I'm going to hold out for the powder coating. In fact - I think I'm going to do it myself. LOL I guess that will be a whole other thread but thanks for all the input. I have a lot better understanding of these wraps and what to expect if I do ever decide to go this route.
Thanks again and please feel free to add anymore info - that is why we are here. :tup:

Thanks for telling me about your experiences.
You know this rust thing is really strange. There does not seem to be an exact answer as to whether or not these wraps cause rust. IDK - I still think powder coating is the best thing but it's also the most expensive and the guys around here are quoting crazy prices.
Well I think I'm going to hold out for the powder coating. In fact - I think I'm going to do it myself. LOL I guess that will be a whole other thread but thanks for all the input. I have a lot better understanding of these wraps and what to expect if I do ever decide to go this route.
Thanks again and please feel free to add anymore info - that is why we are here. :tup:

I think you mean ceramic coating and not powder coating. I know that now they have hi-temp powder coating, but not sure how well it would do in a header application. They do have DIY powder coating kits and the results are pretty decent if you take the time to prep the parts right.

Ultimately I was looking for a cheap alternative to powdercoating. The cheapest estimate I got in this stupid little town that I live was $300. That is about twice what other members are reporting. I guess it's the law of supply/demand. That is the only guy doing powdercoating.
I don't know if you saw it or not but I also posted the thread: "Has anyone used one of the DIY powdercoaters?" about the same time as this thread. I honestly think these internet forums are an amazing tool to look at any idea from all angles.
http://www.998cc.org/forum/bar/10737-anyone-tried-powder-coating-home.html

I read through this a few years ago when I had my Waggie. It's a post on
International Full Size Jeep Forum and is Still being added to. The guy went
all the way with powder coating so it would coast more than $300.00 but it will show you what goes into it.

Eastwood HotCoat Powdercoating session today - International Full Size Jeep Association

Back