help with funny noise

well, there is the possibility of the rear sprocket being bent -- I had a stealthsprox (520 conversion) and after I replaced the chain/sprockets -- I saw that it had a slight wobble to it.

Guess I need to ride w/o my mp3 player and see if I hear anything out of the ordinary....

Mine is still bone stock with no changes since I left the dealer so I'll check it in the morning for you.

You can remove the front sprocket and hang the chain so it is off the shaft and secured with several zip ties... then you can spin it up and see if it makes that noise.

The stock chains are all riveted and with these bikes, a clipped master link is highly discouraged. You'd have to get a chain breaker and a new master that you would then rivet.

...I just assumed that if there were plenty of marks left on the swingarm that the chain was still good? anyone else have the same spacing left as mine?

With 4300 miles and the chain adjusted to specs I am 1 mark closer to the front on the bike. Meaning that your chain is a little more stretched than mine, but I don't think yours is bad enough to be causing the issue that you're having.

is there a bearing behind the front sprocket that could go bad from my chain being too tight? does the front sprocket just bolt onto the trans ouput shaft? i figure at this point it must be chain related and when i cleaned it something happened.

id like to ride it this weekend with the cooler weather but dont want to damage any internal components. i can deal with some chain noise until i can replace it. let me know what you think, thanks!

ps is there a guide for front sprocket removal with torque numbers?

is there a bearing behind the front sprocket that could go bad from my chain being too tight? does the front sprocket just bolt onto the trans ouput shaft? i figure at this point it must be chain related and when i cleaned it something happened.

id like to ride it this weekend with the cooler weather but dont want to damage any internal components. i can deal with some chain noise until i can replace it. let me know what you think, thanks!

ps is there a guide for front sprocket removal with torque numbers?

There is a bearing and yes, the chain being too tight can sometimes bend the shaft or ruin the bearing. Can you take the cover off the front sprocket, put the bike on a paddock stand or center stand, if you have one, and let the bike idle in 2nd gear? See if the shaft turns true and the sprocket is straight?

Coolzzy,

If I am thinking of the same sound, either the front sprocket is excessively worn, or the rollers on the chain are. I haven't decided yet which it is, but I am getting ready to replace my chain and sprockets for the same reason. It is weird that the sound is intermittent, as it is on my bike, but I have removed the front sprocket cover and can see what appears to be causing the clicking sound. Actually, mine is more of a grumbling clicking sound. Almost like a heavy duty version of cards stuck in bicycle spokes.

Anyway, I can clearly see the side plates of the chain are low enough to actually make contact with the sprocket. I am fairly certain they aren't supposed to do that, but I won't be able to tell until I get the new parts for comparison. Since the side plates are contacting the sprocket, I was thinking that the lands in the sprocket are worn to the point that the chain was wrapping itself a bit tighter around the sprocket and allowing the contact. But now that I double checked, I believe it is the chain that is completely worn. I believe it is the pins themslves, or the inner diameter of the rollers that are shot because the rollers have excessive play on them. If I recall correctly, the rollers shouldn't be able to flop around like trinkets on the pins. They can spin some, but not flop around.

Take an allen wrench or something else, even your finger and run it across the rollers, from the bottom, that are on the lower hanging side of the chain. I bet you can see the same flopping that I am seeing, and I am sure it is not normal. The chain is shot. At least mine is.

Back