Here I go again!!! - - - HELP!!!!

Bought a 2001 FZ1 about three weeks ago. I love this bike! Previous owner did not ride it much...it only has 3750 miles!!! Anyway, I did some routine maintenance, oil change plus filter, K&N air filter, and replaced the plugs. When I pulled the plugs, I was surprosed to find that they were ngk CR9ek plugs...not the stock CR9e. When I compare the length of these plugs to the stock plugs I found that they were about 1/8" longer than the CR9e's and were double tipped. I have since found out they are for specific Suzuki models...not the FZ1!!!! Now the bike runs terrible, misses at low rpm's, doesn't idle right and "gulps" with turning the throttle....especially from a stop and low rpm's. Idle runs up and down from 1100 to 1600 back and forth. I checked the ignition coils with an ohm meter (both primary and secondary ends and they are both within new spec's. I pulled individual caps and they are all getting juice. I'm not sure but could the carb's and throttle position sensore have been tuned for these other plugs??? I don't want to run anything else other than the stock (oem) ngk CR9e's. I love to avoid taking it in to a Yamaha dealer but I guess I have no choice unless someone here in the forum has a solution/idea I have'nt thought of. I'm also concerned that the plugs were wrong and were seated 1/8" deeper....I hope the pistons didn't get fried!!! I need help!!!! Thanks.

Bought a 2001 FZ1 about three weeks ago. I love this bike! Previous owner did not ride it much...it only has 3750 miles!!! Anyway, I did some routine maintenance, oil change plus filter, K&N air filter, and replaced the plugs. When I pulled the plugs, I was surprosed to find that they were ngk CR9ek plugs...not the stock CR9e. When I compare the length of these plugs to the stock plugs I found that they were about 1/8\" longer than the CR9e's and were double tipped. I have since found out they are for specific Suzuki models...not the FZ1!!!! Now the bike runs terrible, misses at low rpm's, doesn't idle right and \"gulps\" with turning the throttle....especially from a stop and low rpm's. Idle runs up and down from 1100 to 1600 back and forth. I checked the ignition coils with an ohm meter (both primary and secondary ends and they are both within new spec's. I pulled individual caps and they are all getting juice. I'm not sure but could the carb's and throttle position sensore have been tuned for these other plugs??? I don't want to run anything else other than the stock (oem) ngk CR9e's. I love to avoid taking it in to a Yamaha dealer but I guess I have no choice unless someone here in the forum has a solution/idea I have'nt thought of. I'm also concerned that the plugs were wrong and were seated 1/8\" deeper....I hope the pistons didn't get fried!!! I need help!!!! Thanks.

I would just run out and pick up a set of CR9E's first off and see if the problem clears up. Also, if the bike has the stock jets I'm wondering if the K&N Filter may have your mixture off a little. I think usually if you go with a more free flowing filter, you introduce more fuel as well so that the bike doesn't become too lean. You can also make sure your boots are seated properly so there's no air leakage which can cause an erratic idle. Do the plugs first and see how it stands. Keep us updated and you'll get through this problem.

I already changed to CR9e plugs...that's how the whole thing got out of whack. The K&N filter was on the bike....I just cleaned it a bit. Since the
CR9e's are noticeably shorter plugs....I wonder if this is the problem? I'm going to play around with a few things and hope for the best....if no go....I guess it's off to the dealer. ARGH!!! Thanks for the help so far.

I already changed to CR9e plugs...that's how the whole thing got out of whack. The K&N filter was on the bike....I just cleaned it a bit. Since the
CR9e's are noticeably shorter plugs....I wonder if this is the problem? I'm going to play around with a few things and hope for the best....if no go....I guess it's off to the dealer. ARGH!!! Thanks for the help so far.

This may not be the greatest solution, but if you still have the old plugs you can try putting them back in to see if that fixes the problem.

Someone with more mechanical experience may want to chime in if this is a bad idea.

I'm not sure what kind of piston/plug clearance there is on the "01" bikes but as long as there wasn't any indication of the piston mashing into the plugs at least you shouldn't have any piston damage. I would also check the plugs (old) to see if there was any indication of pre-ignition or any other ignition problems that may have caused the previous owner to change to a longer plug. And by the way, are you talking the length of the threaded part of the plug or the electrode part that extends into the combustion area. I'd also go along with putting those plugs back in to see if that cures your problem. And finally, are there any other modifications that would have an effect on igniton or fueling? Your problem is a dandy and I'm sure it's simple enough to remedy once you figure out what is behind it and why the plug change.

Well as the others stated you can try the old plugs in there again, but I don't see how that can be the issue. You say that the bike wasn't used much and that leads me to believe that your issue may be more carburetor related than anything else. Have you taken the carbs off and cleaned them? Have you put fresh gas in the tank?

Oh, sorry about the plug mix-up. I agree totally with Tony. The plugs really shouldn't make a difference. Now if the old plugs had any signs of interfering with the pistons, thats a different story. My feeling is as Tony states, you have an 8 year old bike with only 3,000 miles and change. That means it was sitting a whole hell of alot over the years. The carb boots may be brittle and cracking as well as gummed up carbs. Flush the tank, drain the floats, install new gas as well as 5ozs. of Seafoam in the tank, and let the bike run on the choke for a couple of minutes. Also inspect your gas filter too. If you have lifted your tank to do the plugs, check to see if the gas line isn't kinked. You wouldn't believe how many people kink it and think that theres a problem with the bike. All the guys will tell you that. Good luck!

I tried seafoam already...I actually put it in all my bikes every once in a while to clean the carb's. I guess it could be a carb-related problem...but not sure why the simple changing of spark plugs would have such a dramatic effect on idle, poor throttle response, and a gulppin-like response at low rpm's. It's like when I turn the throttle, there's a few seconds delay in response then the engine rev's but not exactly smoothly. I just can't wait to get this problem fixed so I can get it out on the road and enjoy it. Anyway, I'll recheck the plugs one more time, check for kinked gas line also. If this doesn't work....I'll probably just drive it to the dealer and have them fix it....hopefully that way if it is a carb problem, they'll get all the bugs out and re-sync them properly and that will be that.

As a side note: I have ridden primarily sport-bikes most of my riding life....over twenty years. I was so impressed by the write-ups, the look of the FZ1, the ergo's, the upright posture, the agreement that it has just about the best engine in the business, awesome brakes, etc., etc..... I used to own a few VFR's years ago and while I liked them, the motor just didn't thrill me at all and two up, the bike was a dog!! Now that I'm older, I want the liter-class power, but comfort is big too. I also want to take my wife out from time to time and not feel like the bike is working hard to move two of us down the road. Just sitting on the pillion seat...she loves the feel compared to a full-on sportsbike seat position. Is there anything this bike can't do??? I keep reading the "do-it-all" reviews and praises....maybe Yamaha is really the first to offer a true do-it-all bike????? Man, can't wait to get this puppy out on the road. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions/help!!!!

Is the correct plug wire on the correct plug?

And as others have mentioned put the old plugs back in and see if that solves the problem.

Good luck, what a PITA...

I am with the others. Check the order they are in first and check for a vacuum leak. Maybe one split when you moved things (it has happened before).

On the plugs you put in, are you sure they are gapped correctly? Pull them out again and check them for porcelain detonation, like what Billy just experienced.

Specs for the CR9e NGK.com - Application Search Results
10mm Thread, 19mm (3/4") Reach, 5/8" (16mm) Hex Size, Gasket Seat, Resistor, Stud Terminal, .032" (0.8mm) Gap, Heat Range 9. NOTE: Does not include terminal nut, if necessary, order part #067606-0051

NGK traditional plugs are constructed for longer life and optimum performance. Corrugated ribs prevent flashover. NGK uses only the purest alumina silicate in its ceramic insulator which give all NGK plugs greater strength and better heat transfer. Copper cored and triple sealed to further aid in heat removal and prevent interior leakage.

Specs for the CR9ek NGK.com - Application Search Results
Multi-Ground Plug, 10mm Thread, 19mm (3/4") Reach, 5/8" (16mm) Hex Size, Gasket Seat, Resistor, Projected Tip, Stud Terminal, Dual Ground Electrodes, .027" (0.7mm) Gap, Heat Range 9. NOTE: Does not include terminal nut, if necessary, order part #067606-0051

Multi-ground electrodes improve ignition capabilities and are less sensitive to increased voltage requirements due to gap growth. Designed to specific manufacturer ignition requirements in either supplementary gap, intermittent discharge, or semi-surface discharge, all for various firing tip self cleaning abilities. Multi-ground plugs maintain all features of NGK's traditional plugs including corrugated ribs, pure alumina silicate ceramic insulator for greater strength and better heat transfer, copper core and triple interior seal.

The "k" is listed for the R1, assuming so because it is a dual ground and bigger spark. The e is listed as a single ground and is for the FZ1.

Back