Hope you guys in QLD are ok!

:ditto:

I'll second that, very scary stuff. At least when it floods here we don't have Crocs and deadly snakes trying to get into our houses for dry ground.:disapproval:

I hope we have no members who are affected by this and all hopes that this ends for all of those people who are.

The world's weather patterns are getting stranger by the year. Maybe the movie titled "The Day After Tomorrow" isn't as far fetched as it might seem? :eek5: We all know that over the last 4.5 billion years, the Earth has changed many times over, with or without human assistance. It will change many more times before the sun burns out too.

Hey all,

Thought I'd quickly drop in here and firstly say thanks for your thoughts..

I have been somewhat affected by this, but no where near as bad as some.. I have very close friends(riding budies) whos houses are completly submerged..

Basically, all our magor roads are cut, we simply cannot move about our city, lots of people have died..

Not sure how to put this into perspective for you guys with the sheer volume of water that is currently moving through Brisbane CBD.. Up stream we have a massive dam that is full to the brink, heaps of rain fell up from it, in its catchment, the dam is currently at 150% capacity, they are releasing 301,000 megalitres of water per day and this flows directly into the Brisbane River which is adding to the flood levels, the water board cannot simply close the gates and stop the water flow as another 1 million+ megalitres are still flowing into the dam and the dam would simply break if they tried to contain it..

The amount of just rainfall we've had for the past 1 month is ridiculous water that can climb 1/2 - 2/3 the way up my shin, i.e. if I was standing on flat land and stood still for 3 hours, that's how much rain would fall and this has happened at least 4 and up to 10 times per week and has been going on for 4 weeks like this, so something had to give and we are now coping the full force of it..

In Toowoomba, the water rose from nothing to ~20 foot deep in 7 MINUTES! Just how much do you think you can get done in 7 minutes?

My mate whos house is under lives 200m from a river, that river rose 19m in 12 hours..

I have got some awsome, amazing and tragic photos that I have taken.. As I've been out and about.. I'll post them up at a slightly later date, cause this shit aint over yet..

Not only that, our forecastors have predicted one cyclone to hit the Queensland coast twice within 1 week.. Once up in Nth Qld around Cairns and again near Brisbane.. If it does eventuate, we'll be going through this same shit again..

Our estimated damage bill from this alone and only Brisbane is 2-3 billion dollars and that's just Brisbane.. 80% of our entire state is declared a disaster zone.. Great Britain can fit into Queensland 12 times.. Our state is going to drain the countrys kitty..

Did your buddies which houses have been submerged been able to safe most important belongings, amongst their bikes? I'm sure it will a tough call for the insurance companies to pay all this damage and I hope you guys do not need to wait years for the money.

Still many families who suffered damage due to floodings from past years here in Belgium have not seen any compensation yet, and insome cases the insurance cies are calculating the repaircost lower than it would actual cost, as they take into account e.g. the age of the house...

By all I keep my fingers crossed that it wo'nt become worse and no further lives are lost or people injured.

Yeah, Brisbane and surrounding suburbs were lucky, everyone received 2 days warning.. It's the poor barstids out west were all this water came from that only had 1 minute- 7 minutes warning and hence why so many died.. There is 15 officially dead, toll is expected to rise to 90..

My mate got all his bikes out along with all other white goods, clothes and expensive stuff, a neighbour from up on top of a hill came down the bottom to see if any people needed assistance and so my mate moved all his possesions to his place and then spent the night in an emergency evac centre..

Minor updates - The Wivenhoe dam I mentioned about before is at 190% and not 150% like I mentioned.. Breaking point of the dam is 205%, luckily for us the terrential rain has ceased for the past 2 days so no more water will run into it, for now..

Damage bill for Brisbane has been revised to 13 billion..

Glen,

I've been keeping a close eye on the news and can tell you we are all thinking (and donating some $$) of you folks up in good old Queensland. Its truely unbelievable that this is of such great scale......the tragedies have been heartbreaking but some of the acts of mateship have be inspiring. Together you will get through....

Last edited:
You've got admire the Aussie spirit though.

Just watching a news report about a Northern NSW town that has caught some of the flooding.

They were interviewing one bloke whose 2 story house has the lower floor inundated and his comment?

"The value of my house has gone up because now I have water frontage."

It takes a LOT to upset the average Aussie.

Yeah thinking about and praying for all those up north. Wollongong got flooded in the late 90's and it was incredibly sudden. Luckily no lives lost back then. It is simply amazing the power a large volume of water moving downstream has. Lots of those towns in the central west of QLD I've spent quality time in and had great nights with the locals up there. Puts lots of things in perspective. Stay safe all, all possesions are replaceble, even bikes!!! lives aren't.

Hope you guys are getting all the help you need... and don't get forgotten about as soon as Kochie and Mel move onto the next news story...

We almost lost our first home to bushfires 4 weeks after we bought it... despite haveing insurance, it is still a pretty scary thing to have most everything you own in harms way...

Can only imagine what it is like for the worst to happen... or to loose friends and family that way...

Hope things start getting better for you all soon...

Cheers,
Darryl

Back