Horn Inop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone knows what fuse relates to the horn? While riding today, an elderly lady was starting to be stupid in her cage so I decided to give her a litle beep. Low and behold, my horn does not work. Now I'm trying to remember if my horn worked since I got my new regulator/rectifier installed a week ot two ago.

I haven't looked at it as yet as i just got home, however a quick scan of my owners manual doesn't show a fuse for the horn specifically. Sigh, shudda bought another Honda, :)

On my 08 it's supposedly #4 the signaling fuse. according to the wiring it shows the horn switch getting it's power from there but of course, there are several other things also getting their signal through the same fuse. The electrical diagrams leave quite a bit to be desired in my opinion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone knows what fuse relates to the horn? While riding today, an elderly lady was starting to be stupid in her cage so I decided to give her a litle beep. Low and behold, my horn does not work. Now I'm trying to remember if my horn worked since I got my new regulator/rectifier installed a week ot two ago.

I haven't looked at it as yet as i just got home, however a quick scan of my owners manual doesn't show a fuse for the horn specifically. Sigh, shudda bought another Honda, :)

Hook a tester up to the horn leads first and with the key "On", hit the switch to see if your getting voltage to the horn before going to the "fuse" diagnosis.

Well it looks like it's the horn button. $150 from dealer :shoot:. Looks like I will be riding without one for a while. This yammy is starting to disapoint now, outside of the thrill of speed. 15 Months @ 14060 miles and Regulator failure, now horn button broken/inop. Hmmmmm, well at least I can still ride :). There always a positive in every negative.

Well it looks like it's the horn button. $150 from dealer :shoot:. Looks like I will be riding without one for a while. This yammy is starting to disapoint now, outside of the thrill of speed. 15 Months @ 14060 miles and Regulator failure, now horn button broken/inop. Hmmmmm, well at least I can still ride :). There always a positive in every negative.

$150 Bucks??!! Buddy, look on Ebay or Partshark.com before you go spend that kind of money for a button! I would get my own Momentary Switch and use that instead before I spent $150.

$150 Bucks??!! Buddy, look on Ebay or Partshark.com before you go spend that kind of money for a button! I would get my own Momentary Switch and use that instead before I spent $150.

Funny thing is I went to partshark and saw #11 what I thought was the button, but didn't order I was going to confirm first before i ordered the incorrect part.
It was you who directed me to the regulator/rectifier for $100 less from partshark than the dealer, so believe me, I wasn't going to buy that part from the dealership.

So I got a new (to me) handle bar switch yesterday. What does it take to replace that? I know the left grip has to come off, is that glued on in addition to the allen bolt. I have tools and am not afraid to use them so>>>>> anyone?

The grip shouldn't have to come off. There's two screws under the switch assembly. Remove those and it should separate from the bar in two halves without removing anything else. Trace the wiring back to the harness and unplug it all, plug in the new one and test it before routing the wires and mounting.

Actually, don't remove yours without unplugging it then plugging in this replacement first to test. Why go through the effort if it doesn't fix the issue. ;)

You may want to try a little surgery on the button first, Usually it's a pretty easy fix once you have the housing off. My starter button went bad once on my Honda. I removed the housing and cleaned off the contacts with a Little piece of 400 grit sand paper, then sprayed contact cleaner on the contacts. It hasn't given me a problem in 3 years of almost everyday use.

Thanks but the button lacked the springy feel to it. That was the first thing I did after taking the new one apart, just to look and see that I can just swap out without replacing the entire switch. Well the new switch is on, since the internal parts needed to be soldered if taken apart. I'm not that crafty lol.

Back