Houston Yamaha Demo Days - 2/12014

My local Yamaha shop had a demo day yesterday and today. I ran up there this morning and test drove the 2014 FJR and the 2014 FZ09. These were VERY tame 30 minute test rides with Yamaha leaders and sweepers. You really did not get to see what the bikes can do.

FJR - Great ride! Felt very nimble at speed which was surprising. The seating position was comfortable and fairly neutral. I was actually surprised that he pegs seems to be in a fairly sporty position up and back. I am not sure my knees could handle it on a long trip. I may just be used to the tall seating on my Tiger and DRZ. Power was more than enough. The exhaust note was one of the coolest I have heard with a stock exhaust. electronically adjustable suspension, fueling and windshield were all very cool! This may be my next bike if I can get my hands on one for a longer test ride.

FZ-09 - Great torque down low. Feels tiny and light. Turn in was easy and actually made me feel uncomfortable my firs few turns. I have been riding bigger bikes with more rake and longer wheel bases lately. The suspension is absolute non-adjustable mushy crap. Something I would expect on a Hyosung. I think it is sprung for a 120lb metro-sexual. The right hand engine case is in the way of my shin even with the balls of my feet back on the pegs. It was very annoying when braking (yes I use the rear brake.) Over all I am very disappointed. For $1,000 more you can get a Street Triple with better styling and good suspension. Still waiting for a Next Gen FZ1!

I apologize in advance for the crappy cell phone pics!

This is the one in hooligan colors that I rode. :)

Last edited:
Thanks, Hail. Great pics.

I only sat on the FZ09, but for my particular build it just didn't' fit, I guess. Way too dirt bike like. Looks much better in person than in pics, though.

Agree with the suspension. It wasn't too bad for me coming off the FZ6R at first. I could tell something wasn't right but once all sort out I was like FK! Why are they selling a bike with suck shitting suspension?

Ergo is spot on for me for my 30" inseam. Actually if I sit on my 6R (kept it for rainy days) and on the 09... about the same position. (Swap handlebars on the 6R for Renthal 787)

Haven't ridden FZ9 yet (will in a month), but agree on all of the above @ FJR.. what a great ride!!

I'm surprised you didn't take Super Ten out (being closer to your Tiger than any other Yami offerings). Or did you already ride that one?

I enjoyed riding Super Ten.

Haven't ridden FZ9 yet (will in a month), but agree on all of the above @ FJR.. what a great ride!!

I'm surprised you didn't take Super Ten out (being closer to your Tiger than any other Yami offerings). Or did you already ride that one?

I enjoyed riding Super Ten.

Which dates are you coming over? Not doing any racing this year... 80% sure to make it in Daytona. :thewave:

Back