How many miles to a tank

I was getting 40 mph with a slip on and cats gutted.
I added Ivan's Flies, PC3, BMC and air box mod.
I have only ran 3 tanks through it and I seem to get
32 mph now.

Me too! I'm getting consistently 40-45mpg on my Gen1. I really babied it last tank and managed 53mpg...but it sure wasn't as much fun! :) At 200 miles I'm looking for a station.
PB

I'm getting 41mpg on rides and definitely less around town. The key is stop and go...the more stop and go the lower your mileage goes. I have 12xx miles on my '08 and I've ridden it from about 30 to 60 degrees since I bought it at the beginning of January. I haven't kept track of the shitty tanks but seriously I'm getting 41's in winter so I know that the mileage will improve in the summer. Is it idling smoothly ? If you wack it open all the time and ride wild your mileage will be shit...your riding style will affect your tank range. I'm not saying ride it like a granny either....I ride mine faster than I ever rode my ZX10R because the FZ is so damn fun to ride. Avoid the stop and go and make sure your T-Bodies are all synched up...your mileage should improve.

I can get 145 miles safely to the tank before I'm watching for the light to come on (Gen. 1) an 05. It's hard not to accelerate briskly, even stupidly a fiew times on any given tank of gas. Were I to wheenie along with mild acceleration from stops and pegged at the speed limit'55' I could likely expect 160 miles or better on a tank, mabe even close to 200. As it is, I'm content with the 145. But I might add, I'm sure the carbs need a synk-ing, and that will be first buy next month, a sync guage/tool.

I forget about that MPG thing every time the front tire leaves the ground.

Remember to correct for millage if you change gears.

FYI, I fill up about 10 miles into the flashing light and the bike takes 3.3 to 3.4 US Gal to fill to the bottom of the metal cup.

30 mpg would work out to 30 mpg * 3.3 gal = 99 miles (real miles)

but with a 16 - 45 gearing compared to the 17 - 45 stock gearing you have to take 99 miles * 17 / 16 to get 105 miles on the odo gauge on the dash to get a real 30 mpg.

I feel 30 MPG is plenty acceptable when running around town on a bike that can pull mid 10s in the 1/4 mile at 130 MPH.

AW

Last edited:
Low 22 mpg here. Not going fast, just high rpm, low gear (mostly 1st, a little 2nd, and very little 3rd gear, except on the slab getting to and from) tight twistie stuff on an 150/160 mile rural loop. All mods with 17/48 sprockets. Might switch out to a 49 rear next time around, which may reduce mileage even more.

Unless in a tight hairpin, rpm is between 9k and 12k. Bike doesn't care what I do. Most tight hairpins I'm not lower than 4k, but usually 5k if I don't mess it up.

Honestly, could care less about mileage. Just want the bike to respond to technique, while asking for more.

i have an 06 fz1n i get about 100-120 miles from full to reserve takes about £17 to fill to the brimm!! ive done some mods so it can be thirsty when pushed, i ran it dry once showing 30 odd miles !! dont no if the 09 has a different reserve size though!

I usually get around 120 miles before the lite starts flashing. I have gone 162 miles on a tank and it took 4.3gal to top it up. I feel the F-Trip is a little premature. I can easily go 150mi between fill ups.

I constantly get 37.? MPG during my daily commute. Never less, never more.

:chat:

I usually get around 120 miles before the lite starts flashing. I have gone 162 miles on a tank and it took 4.3gal to top it up. I feel the F-Trip is a little premature. I can easily go 150mi between fill ups.

I constantly get 37.? MPG during my daily commute. Never less, never more.

:chat:

You may already do this, but I can squeeze at least half a gallon more fuel in after the fuel reaches the bottom of that collar. Takes awhile, though. I have to or it's an extra fuel stop.

You must have a PhD in Fuelology :)

Ran outta fuel once, half mile or so on the wrong side of the hill. Pushed bike to top, then it was downhill a couple miles to the fuel. When I mentioned what happened on the other site, one of the old timers told me about the FZ taking more fuel past the collar. Sure enough, that little gem saved me a third stop on my loop.

But it must take about 5 minutes of easing that half gallon into the tank. Not really sure why.

Well if it takes that long then you might as well make that third stop. This way you can ride with less fuel and a lighter bike ;)

And less pouring out of the overflow tube. As soon as it heats up that's were it's going anyway. I filled up a little extra once thinking it was a long way to the next fuel stop, just before getting in line for a ferry (level ground). A puddle started to form under the bike from the overflow tube. You wouldn't notice the loss if you were riding, but that is were it goes. Tanks are designed the way they are for a reason. Fuel expands when heated, even sitting in the sun with the bike shut off will do it.

2008 FZ1, I just fueled up this morning and went for an hour ride, I got a little over 45 mpg.

When I had my FJR, I noticed that the bike would leak fuel when I parked the bike outside at work and the temperature was over 80F and the tank was 3/4 or more full. I miss some of the data that the display on that bike would show you.

And less pouring out of the overflow tube. As soon as it heats up that's were it's going anyway. I filled up a little extra once thinking it was a long way to the next fuel stop, just before getting in line for a ferry (level ground). A puddle started to form under the bike from the overflow tube. You wouldn't notice the loss if you were riding, but that is were it goes. Tanks are designed the way they are for a reason. Fuel expands when heated, even sitting in the sun with the bike shut off will do it.

The lid gasket stops fuel from going out the overflow when closed. Look at the overflow hole, and you'll notice it's outside of the gasket seal. g2 has the pressure fuel system, I guess.

However, I do have to watch the overflow when fueling.

Well if it takes that long then you might as well make that third stop. This way you can ride with less fuel and a lighter bike ;)

Yeah, this thought crosses the mind, but I'm probably still ahead doing what I'm doing, but barely.

2008 FZ1, I just fueled up this morning and went for an hour ride, I got a little over 45 mpg.

When I had my FJR, I noticed that the bike would leak fuel when I parked the bike outside at work and the temperature was over 80F and the tank was 3/4 or more full. I miss some of the data that the display on that bike would show you.

Not FI system?

Both bikes are fuel injected.

My FJR I used to get about 50 to 55 mpg in mixed city and freeway driving, and if just freeway I would get maybe 58 to 60.

I must not understand FI systems, as I thought they were closed/pressurized, but that doesn't explain your fuel leak when above 80. I visualize a pressure valve for gases, but not one for fuel. I don't know how the system works, really.

Had no idea that the FJ's got that great mileage. Amazing. Like 250 miles per tank, or more.

I went outside and checked on it a few times when I had the FJR when it was dripping, seems like the drip was about every 15 seconds, it annoyed me. Hopefully the FZ will not leak.

Back