How much should the axle nut turn?

Hi All,
I know the title of my post sounds like the title of a bad soap opera, but...
I was trying to take some slack out of my '13 FZ1's chain. Following the manual to the letter, I am immediately struck by the fact that though the book says to "loosen both axle nuts", my bike only has one axle nut on the right-hand (non-chain) side.

So, I loosen it...but it moves maybe a quarter of a turn - not even. But, I am then able to adjust the other two little nuts (no jokes, please) on both sides and get the chain right in spec as far as tightness and "evenness."

Right side w Axle Nut.jpg
Right side w/ nut.

Left sdie wo Axle Nut.jpg
Left side w/o nut.

Then, I re-tighten the one axle nut and again, it's maybe a quarter turn to tighten it down - hard.

I go for a test ride, and all is well. I get back to my garage, put bike on center stand, and all appears to have "held in place."

My question (finally, you say) is: is that all the travel that the axle nut is supposed to have?? I mean, I thought that it should actually come off (not that I wanted to do that, but iI thought it should able to, anyway). Loosening past the quarter-turn met with wicked stiff resistance, like if i went further, I'd break something.
Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.
HollywdPat

It's a lock-nut so it will resist but yes, it will turn all the way off. I loosen it two or three full turns to adjust the chain. Also a good idea is not to rely solely on the small adjustment marks. Always adjust and then eye right down the top of the chain while slowly turning the wheel. You're looking to see if the chain tracks straight and you'll know it is off if the chain moves and stays to one side or the other of the rear sprocket.

Thanks guys - it's good to know that it does come off.
Another silly question - it is threaded 'normally' correct? Counterclockwise to loosen and clockwise to tighten?

It sounds to me like the nut may be galled onto the axle. I certainly hope not. Mine usually takes about 1/2 turn to loosen, then is easy with a wrench to loosen another 1/2, and beyond that is finger tight and can be unscrewed all the way off the axle.

Sounds like the whole axle is moving as you are trying to loosen and tighten the axle nut. If you look on the left side you will see the end of the axle fits between the axle block but has about a 1/4 inch of play before it hits the axle block in each direction. I'm afraid you never loosened anything, it was just the axle moving back and forth until it locked up against the axle block.

These axle nuts are on extremely tight from the factory and take a breaker bar to loosen the first time. Give it a try.

Back