$ How much to change a tire? $

Going to need to change my stock tires this summer. I got a deal for two new Dunlop Road Smarts for $99 each from Motorcycle Superstore.

Local Yamaha dealer wants 2 hours labor @ $88/hr. = $176 to change both tires. Never had tires changed on this bike before, but it seems a bit high to me. What are the going rates in your area? I am not doing it myself, so I need to shop it. Thx

How much :jaw drop:

I think I pay about €10 per wheel ($12-$13) if I bring my wheels in to my tyre man, certainly not much more!
The disposal charge is about the same.

It takes around 20-30 minutes to change them over.

Go to a tyre centre that does bikes too, a dealership is the last place you want doing it.

I just checked having new tires at my local shop. $60 per wheel on the bike, $30 off the bike. $5 per tire disposal fee.

The problem is their tire prices: Michellin PR3 set $569.00 not including mounting.

I can get PR4 set for $330 on-line.

Going to need to change my stock tires this summer. I got a deal for two new Dunlop Road Smarts for $99 each from Motorcycle Superstore.

Local Yamaha dealer wants 2 hours labor @ $88/hr. = $176 to change both tires. Never had tires changed on this bike before, but it seems a bit high to me. What are the going rates in your area? I am not doing it myself, so I need to shop it. Thx

$176 to change 2 tyres, tell him he's dreaming.

It's a maximum of 1 hour so I would try elsewhere.

Dealers will charge more if you don't buy the tires from them, and that is understandable. My local dealer would normally charge $42 for the front and $84 for the rear if you buy the tires from them, which includes taking them off the bike and putting them back on. But everything is negotiable.....the last set of tires I bought I was charged $84 total for both tires and they closely matched the internet price on the tires themselves. That sounded reasonable to me as I was not going to do it myself. Sounds like your dealer wants to charge a higher price for 3rd party tires.....that's his choice. If you don't like the price shop around.

$99 apiece for Road Smart's is very cheap....are you sure that is the real price, are they fresh? Are they the original Road Smart's or the Road Smart II? The best price I found last June for Road Smart II tires was about $130 for the front and $180 for the rear (Bike Bandit and Revzilla). In fact I just looked at Motorcycle Superstore prices and they aren't that far off of the prices I found last year. I would guess $99 is below dealer prices for these tires....I would be curious why they are so cheap.

Last edited:
I pay anywhere from $5 to $30 at my local shop, depending on the owner's mood. I take the wheels off myself. I also stop in occasionally with coffee or tickets and chat, and I've sent some business his way over the last few years. It pays to have a good relationship with the mechanic... in some ways you're putting your life in his hands. Also on the upside, my tires are usually mounted before he can finish the coffee. :)

$176 if the wheels are on the bike is a bit high. If you're taking the wheels to the dealer, that's ridiculous.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

Holy high prices. I just got a rear power pilot installed today. I purchased it online, it took 5 mins to remove the rear rim and my local independent charged me $22 !!!!!

Nuts!

It used to cost $30. Per wheel if you took them off the bike, and then jumped to $45. It is $65.00 if you bring the bike. Now I do them myself and don't know why I ever paid someone else to do it. Anything over $30 per wheel is rediculous.

Sounds like a lot. Is there anyone from the forum close to you that could show you how simple it is to remove the wheels? Teach a man to fish if you know what I mean...

I recommend taking the wheels off yourself. Usually then about $30 - $35 per wheel at reasonable shop to mount and balance. Make sure they balance them though as some guys will BS you that they didn't need it.

I think if you're bringing the bike in you should be looking at about 1 hour's labor on the rear and less on the front. Remember, they are in business to make money, but if they won't work it out with you find another dealer.

Remember, this isn't something you will need to do that often so if you like the guy doing it and trust the work, just pay what you're comfortable with and be done with it.

Good luck.

nomar sells a nice manual tire changing machine. with the money you save, you could buy any exotic tires you wanted & more. mine is mounted in the bed of a 72 f-100.

Back