How steady is your idle?

I recently did a lot of maintenance on my bike and while everything has gotten smoother over all, my idle is still a bit lumpy. I have it set at around 1150 and if I watch the needle when the bike is fully warmed up, it'll jump up or down ~50 rpm, few times per second.

I did the TB sync, but I didn't get the numbers to be 100% perfect. Got them very close, but not completely level. Wondering if that's the cause of unsteady idle.

Just curious if someone out there has perfectly steady idle with zero jumping.

I was thinking of posting a video of my 2012 with 1700 miles idling to see if you guys thought it was normal or too jumpy. Sounds like it is normal... --MW

I was thinking of posting a video of my 2012 with 1700 miles idling to see if you guys thought it was normal or too jumpy. Sounds like it is normal... --MW

This isn't a bad idea if you're really concerned. It won't hurt and we can give additional opinions if it sounds normal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Idle Problem

As we are discussing idle, any ideas on why my bike refused to hold idle just after filling the tank? I'd ridden maybe 30 minutes and stopped to fuel-up just before the twisties. Went to start the bike and it just kept dieing on me. Finally I started it and held the throttle open a bit for maybe 20 seconds, then it did fine and the rest of my ride was without incident.

Relatively new bike with about 900 miles on the clock.

As we are discussing idle, any ideas on why my bike refused to hold idle just after filling the tank? I'd ridden maybe 30 minutes and stopped to fuel-up just before the twisties. Went to start the bike and it just kept dieing on me. Finally I started it and held the throttle open a bit for maybe 20 seconds, then it did fine and the rest of my ride was without incident.

Relatively new bike with about 900 miles on the clock.

What is the idle set for now? Could have been some bad stuff in the gas you bought.

FWIW for all of you... I just finished the TB sync and the idle still jumps. I got it where the average is about 1300 rpms. Anything below 1200 and it's a lot more bouncy. This was hooked up to the Power Commander software so I was using that screen to set the idle, not the cluster needle.

What is the idle set for now? Could have been some bad stuff in the gas you bought.

FWIW for all of you... I just finished the TB sync and the idle still jumps. I got it where the average is about 1300 rpms. Anything below 1200 and it's a lot more bouncy. This was hooked up to the Power Commander software so I was using that screen to set the idle, not the cluster needle.

I don't know what my shop set the idle at when they did the 600 mile service. I'd say it is a bit low, maybe around 900 rpm when warm. Maybe close to 1100rpm when cold.

Bad bit of fuel did occur to me, but it seemed to run great after I got it going again. But based upon the appearance/location of the gas station, it could have been poor quality fuel. I should have chosen a busier, but less convenient gas station.

I have my idle at about 1100-1200 and it's a bit rough when warm, but not bad at all. I might up it a bit to test it out. Now when it's cold, it almost surges for a minute. Sometime worse than others. Maybe uping the idle will help that too.

After gutting cat idle on my bike got bit jumpier than before. I got slip on and k&n filter, no other mods - any advice..? Will power commander help, or block AIS? As I understand, that now with gutted cat air flows smoother through exhaust pipe and it affect how steadily motor is idling.

After gutting cat idle on my bike got bit jumpier than before. I got slip on and k&n filter, no other mods - any advice..? Will power commander help, or block AIS? As I understand, that now with gutted cat air flows smoother through exhaust pipe and it affect how steadily motor is idling.

I just gutted my cat, added a slip on, and blocked off the airbox and my idle is still as bouncy as before. I just attribute it to a bouncy idle. The bike runs great so I wouldn't worry about it.

Back