How To: HID Lights (DDM Tuning, 6000K 55W)

Important thing here is patience with the wire routing.

Here is what is required:

1. DDM Tuning H4 (Hi/Lo) 6000K 55W kit. I went for 55w based on the large size of FZ1 headlights. It turned out pretty good. If that is too much 35w will work well too. At the price $69.95, these are definitely worth getting compared to the $50 Silverstar Ultras that burn out in a year or so. Actually $17 ebay sixity ones were working much better. But then I am never satisfied till I get the best.
  2. Dual Lock Fasteners (much stronger than velcro or the double sided tape provided that leaves a residue if needed to be removed in the future) - Can be had from OfficeDepot/Max/Staples. Comes in black and weatherproof white. I used black one here.

Here is how the kit came:

1. The Packaging

4583509258_ab0f106f65_b.jpg

2. The bulbs and Slim Ballast + Igniter

4582879825_51561c0476_b.jpg

3. The Hi/Lo Controller Switch (Very important and is included in the kit). Doesn't it look like an Octupus :D? The switch has the following connectors:
    1. a small connection to each bulb harness,
    2. connection to one stock headlight socket connector,
    3. fused +ve and -ve connections to the battery,
    4. connectors to each ballast

4582879935_618b6e96fd_b.jpg

Here are the step by step instructions:

1. Remove the inner fairings, tank cover, lift the tank by bungeeing it at the tail hooks.

2. Remove the stock waterproof rubber boot and the bulb

4582880051_3dc5fc1312_b.jpg

3. Follow the instructions that came with the kit by removing the bulb holder from the H4 Hi/Lo bulb controller
    1. Rotate the bulb holder CCW and slowly remove the bulb out
    2. Carefully place the bulb as shown so that it does not fall off

4582880143_2a17db7d68_b.jpg

4. Put the bulb holder into the headlight and snap back the pin.

4582880221_2985fce302_b.jpg

5. Put back the waterproof boot in the same orientation as stock.
    1. You will need to 2 fingers to slide the boot over the holder.

4582881067_263e1f5497_b.jpg

6. Carefully put the bulb without touching it and lock it CW.
    1. Put it at a slight left angle than the vertical and rotate right.

4582880297_d3b0dc0bc0_b.jpg

7. Now install the right one similarly

4583510724_38fa788be0_b.jpg

8. Assemble the ballast to the bulb and route it so that the wires stay on the fairing side below the stock wiring.

9. Use the dual lock fastener and find a spot in the fairing as away from the radiator as possible

10. I used velcro for the small igniter attached to ballast since it is not that heavy. Just trying to conserve the pricey dual lock fasteners

4582880965_b7e0a61b6d_b.jpg

11. Now trick part is the right side.
    1. Do the same as previous step except that you need space to mount the switch too.
    2. This switch is requried to control the Hi/Lo function and is included in the kit once you select the options. Single beam kits don't have them.
    3. Carefully see that the right side bulb socket is not needed since the switch is powered by just one headlight socket. I used the left one since that powers my heated grips too.

4582880871_ba0b1d3cdd_b.jpg

12. Connect all the wiring as described.
    1. Connect the each of the ballasts to their respective HID bulbs, the switch to the ballasts and the bulbs, one of the stock connectors and directly to the battery
    2. Take some time to think out the routing taking into account the steering movement and nothing sticks out if you see from the top.
    3. I shoved most of it between the headlight stay and the headlight enclosure.

4582880655_e04ab96a60_b.jpg

4582880533_ebb16270dd_b.jpg

4583510300_bfc248cd69_b.jpg

4582881237_a6df162f89_b.jpg

13. Route the wires towards the battery as shown and connect them.
    1. Excuse me for the mess at the battery.
    2. I have powerlet, pc3, radar detector, HIDs, tender connetion running from the battery.

4583509966_22a45cfff5_b.jpg

14. Now zip tie everything in a way that it stays nice and tight and there is no slack.

15. Fire the bike on and enjoi "The Midnight Sun"!

Last edited:
Would like to add that if any one changed their stock headlight aiming, then readjust so that it does not blind other people (respect others). I never adjusted mine and I thought the dispersion and cut off were good with the stock aiming. I will test it over the next few days and see if the aiming needs readjustment.

I rode 60 miles in the dark today and with the stock aim the cutoff and dispersion are most excellent. Was not flashed a single time. And the high beam is even better than stock, it is higher.

Also clarified a few connections in the OP.

Hid

Just finished testing mine before I start buttoning everything back up. WOW, those lights are awesome. Since DDM sent no instructions thanks for the step by step here!!!

I'm wanting to fit a HID conversion to my n model but I'm really going to struggle to find a suitable position for the ballast.
It's a shame really as the standard light isn't all that good!

Please excuse my ignorance, you mention a switch for High/Low, is that more like a relay, does it not work through the high/low swith on the handlebar?

damn thats way more wiring than came in my kit! i has no connection to battery terminals, all done via the original lighting plug to the bulb, so the amount of loom i had to loose was minimal, and on a naked thats a good thing lol.

tis a damn good mod to do tho! Im loving mine big time:yes:

Yes, I had them installed when I had the N light. Behind the light it was really tight with the ballasts and then I got frustrated and moved the ballasts under the airbox but the wiring was just enough and was flexing a bit with the steering but not bad.

Ordered

Just a heads up to everyone..... They are shipping these from china, so plan to WAIT.... I wouldn't have ordered if I knew that, I'm impatient!!!

Back