How to know clutch is fully engaged?

cjbottaro

Hello,

I just installed ajustable levers. On the clutch side, I had to adjust the clutch cable's free play. Now I know when I pull the clutch lever in, it's fully disengaged, because I can sit at rest with the bike in gear... but how do I know the clutch is fully engaged when I let go and the bike starts to move? How do I know I didn't mess something up and it's slipping?

Thanks for the help.

Hello,

I just installed ajustable levers. On the clutch side, I had to adjust the clutch cable's free play. Now I know when I pull the clutch lever in, it's fully disengaged, because I can sit at rest with the bike in gear... but how do I know the clutch is fully engaged when I let go and the bike starts to move? How do I know I didn't mess something up and it's slipping?

Thanks for the help.

Free play. Should be able to fit the edge of a nickel where it separates at the pivot point with almost no force applied to the lever. A tiny bit of free play ensures it is it is fully engaged.

10 to 15 mm at the END of
The lever, in other words, if you move it, 10 to 15 mm until it actually begins to engage as I read it.

That is just about what it comes out to at bar end for me. The nickel spacing is the way I have always done this and there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing it that way. Having no free play at all is bad.

Last edited:
I have actually read the manual. It says how to adjust the clutch free play, but doesn't make any mention of what it does or why you would it.

Well it really comes down to this...if the clutch free play is adjusted correctly then the clutch will fully engage. Too little free play will lead to the clutch not engaging completely since there will be pressure on the clutch cable even when the lever is fully released. Too much free play and the clutch will not disengage completely when pulling on the lever. Hope that clears it up for you.

Last edited:
I would assume you would probably feel a little holding back or something if the clutch wasn't fully engaging. Probably shortening the life of your clutch...

For the record, I know this from experience, I installed FDB shorties and had my clutch a bit tight, I could tell when I took off, it felt like it was held back a little bit. Hey, while your at it, lube that puppy up a bit also. :) kill two birds with one stone!

Ok, this is a bit weird. I read a thread on here about the little arrow lining up with the dot on where the clutch cable enters... well, enters something.

According to a post on here, the arrow and dot are supposed to line up, and they do as far as my eye can tell.

The weird part is that if I adjust the clutch lever to have the *maximum* amount of free play, and then move the lever just in the range of free play (i.e. shouldn't be disengaging the clutch), it moves the dot from the arrow... a lot. Is this normal?

Side question... is it bad to give too much free play? I tried to adjust the free play to be 10mm, but then I noticed when I shift, everything feels great except for the last tiny bit of letting the lever out which bogs the engine (enough to throw my shoulders forward).

Thanks for the help... and please excuse my mechanical declined-ness.

Back