I got two Harleys and just bought an RZ1 today

Skydancer

Thanks for adding me to the forum.

I’ve got a 2020 Heritage, and a 2008 Fat Boy, which I love. Every time I go to the Harley dealership they keep trying to sell me a bagger (which I hate) I realized I wanted a fast good handling sport bike, I’m covered as far as Harley goes. I looked at the Ducati SuperSport, but the more I looked into them the more I found problems. I thought I wanted a BMW K1300 but took it for a test drive on a windy day and all most got blown off the highway because of the huge side fairing those have act like sails in the wind. I didn’t buy it for that reason and the fact BMWs are way down the list as far as reliability goes. A friend visited and he had a FJR, and turned me on to Yamaha, which was completely off my radar screen. Started searching CycleTrader then yesterday I came across a guy selling a 2006 RZ1 with 11K in Los Vegas, NM. Drove up this morning from Santa Fe, on my Heritage to check it out. I was stunning! Not a scratch on it in pristine condition. Took it for a short test ride and bought it. I left my Harley at his house and drove that gem back to Santa Fe ( an hour on I-25). I’ve never driven a sport bike before except two I test drove. The ride back to Santa Fe was my first real time on one. Got home and told my wife I bought a new bike — she thought I was joking. I told her she had to give me a ride back up to Los Vegas to get the Harley.

long story short, l love this bike! The hour long ride on the interstate was very comfortable, more comfortable than my Heritage in many ways. The FX1 was extremely stable at high speeds, got it up to 120 MPH but there were too many cars on the road to go much faster, plus I told myself over and over not to take a new unfamiliar bike to the limit until I got real comfortable on her, but damn I had a blast.

What are the first things to do on this bike? Everything is stock on it. I think first off some louder slip-ons. Any recommendations.? At some point I’ll up grade to LEDs. And what about the wind shield , a bit taller?
A5D9A5F8-13F9-46C1-8AE1-EA6CB64B94C5.jpeg

2006-2007 FZ1 is known for possible frame crack issues. Check your welds daily. 2006-2014 have the 1st gen rotor installed. The magnets are known to dislodge and explode inside of your bike. Upgrade to the gen 2 rotor. After those things have at it :)

Thanks! Yea, I read about both those issues , I checked for cracks in the welds and there were none. I think I’ll go by the Yamaha dealer today and order a 2nd Gen rotor too! Do guys put on after market windshields? I’m thinking just a little bit higher!

I have a Puig Touring screen right now. Plenty hight for me and im over 6'. I am actually looking for a windscreen that is more narrow. My upgraded R1 master cylinder/brake lever hits the windscreen and now its cracked.

I installed the Zero Gravity Touring screen and it's quite a bit taller than stock. It blocks the wind a bit better on the freeway...

Attachments

• 46718CA1-1D00-417E-B123-EDA154E48D3F.jpeg
    46718CA1-1D00-417E-B123-EDA154E48D3F.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 14
This is the Puig touring screen I have now

Attachments

• B8027282-E565-4D67-9F41-B8BA10E5AD05.png
    B8027282-E565-4D67-9F41-B8BA10E5AD05.png
    5 MB · Views: 9
  • DD92531F-6CD9-41AB-8F5E-B5C650FB98B2.png
    DD92531F-6CD9-41AB-8F5E-B5C650FB98B2.png
    16.4 MB · Views: 10
Might wanna check the age of the tires before trying top speed runs.

I recently bought a 2007 bike with great looking tires, come to find out they were over 10 years old.

Congrats on the bike, It looks great!

Might wanna check the age of the tires before trying top speed runs.

I recently bought a 2007 bike with great looking tires, come to find out they were over 10 years old.

Congrats on the bike, It looks great!

Good idea, I didn’t think if that. I’ll ask the guy who sold it to me when he got them. The rear tire is HUGE, I got a Fat Boy, and parked them together and I swear the the rear tire is bigger than the fat boy, I looked it up and the FB is 240 mm and the FZ1 is 190 at the most. I think the Tires are good as far as wear goes, I’ll get through the summer on them. Thanks for the advice, gives them another reason not to rip it just yet!

Mine had plenty of tread left and it was a shame to pull them off, but they were aged dated a 2009 tire.
I could sweat a 7-8 year old tire, but at 12 years old it was just too much to put faith in.

Next on your list- is your bike throttle response choppy at low speeds, maneuvering around at traffic stops and such?
Mine was pretty bad, but there are remedies for it.

Mine had plenty of tread left and it was a shame to pull them off, but they were aged dated a 2009 tire.
I could sweat a 7-8 year old tire, but at 12 years old it was just too much to put faith in.

Next on your list- is your bike throttle response choppy at low speeds, maneuvering around at traffic stops and such?
Mine was pretty bad, but there are remedies for it.

Thanks Dave! Gonna check that out.
My friend a Yamaha expert says I’ll also want to pour my money into suspension upgrades. He also says to leave the exhaust stock or I’ll screw up the power band. Somewhat disappointing cause I want to sound like John McGinnus.

Wehn / if you get the ECU flashed you can tell the tuner what exhaust you have and he will put the power band where you want it. - Better than stock no doubt.

I would go Slip on (lotsa research to buy what noise level / performance you are after) and gut the cat and Exup valve while you are at it. Pretty common mod on these.

Wehn / if you get the ECU flashed you can tell the tuner what exhaust you have and he will put the power band where you want it. - Better than stock no doubt.

I would go Slip on (lotsa research to buy what noise level / performance you are after) and gut the cat and Exup valve while you are at it. Pretty common mod on these.

Ordered Yoshimura slip ons, wanted Carbon fiber, but every manufacturer was out of stock on the CF pipes. Oh well they look cool silver with Japanese writing in red .

Overnighted the ECU to Vcyclenut today. I told him about the Yoshimuras. I considered the Airbox mod but think I’ll pass for now.

Have you looked at the Ivan’s air box mod? It’s on his website

it only cuts two slits next to the snorkel. Ivan claims it has the same improved airflow as the Lars mod but keeps the noise to a minimum Because the snorkel stays in place.
If the ecu is out you already have it off the bike.

Nows the time unless you like taking your bike apart over and over again as I have done

Yoshi slip on should sound good, will no dought weigh much less than the factory exhaust.
do you plan on gutting the cat or leaving it in place?
Not sure how much it hurts exhaust flow, but you should be looking it when you pull the factory exhaust- that or the EXUP valve. Im not sure offhand, both of mine were gone when I got the bike.

Have you looked at the Ivan’s air box mod? It’s on his website

it only cuts two slits next to the snorkel. Ivan claims it has the same improved airflow as the Lars mod but keeps the noise to a minimum Because the snorkel stays in place.
If the ecu is out you already have it off the bike.

Nows the time unless you like taking your bike apart over and over again as I have done

Yoshi slip on should sound good, will no dought weigh much less than the factory exhaust.
do you plan on gutting the cat or leaving it in place?
Not sure how much it hurts exhaust flow, but you should be looking it when you pull the factory exhaust- that or the EXUP valve. Im not sure offhand, both of mine were gone when I got the bike.

I still have time to tell Vcyclenut if I have an air box mod. He should receive my ECU today.

What do people recommend about removing the EXUP valve? Makes sense to remove it, no? I’m assuming that if Vcyclenut knows about the Yoshimura on there he will tune the ECU accordingly.

I lost 2 foot pounds of torque on my Heritage when I put slipons on.

He should program the exup to stay open as well as the AIS on the intake.
Im not sure if there is much/ any restriction with the exup in place, yet forced open.

Back