I'm wanting to do my first trackday!

andrewclaycomb

Any tips for somebody who has never been on a track? I'll start in the beginner course but anybody have good advice?

I'm 6'5" so finding a full leather suit is going to be difficult. Only one I've found so far is the Teknic Chicane suit.

Don't skimp on gear. Get yourself some good leathers, gloves and boots. I work saftey crew for m/c roadracing and track days and see lots and lots and lots of crashes.

Don't ride outside of your skill level. Get to know your bike and the track. Have someone who races check your suspension settings for you.

Be sure to scrub/warm your tires before you really get into the corners.

If there are gravel traps and you happen to ride into one, DO NOT hit your front brake, it will stop your front tire and dig you into the gravel which in turn will cause you to crash. Stay calm, roll off the throttle and let the gravel slow you down. Or just stay on the gas and try to ride through it, if you safely can.

Talk to someone who has experience at the track you intend to do a trackday on. They will be able to give you pointers and provide very valuable feedback.

The Control Riders are your friends. They will show you turn entrances, apexes and exits. Pay attention to them!

If you happen to have mechanical difficulties and won't be able to make it back to the pits, pull OFF the track surface to a safe location and out of an impact zone. If possible, get as close to the nearest corner marshal as possible. If no corner marshal is nearby, lean the bike against the tire wall or birm and get yourself to a safe location.

And above all that, HAVE FUN!!

Last edited:
I don't have any advice to offer but I can't wait to hear your experience. I have the free track day from Yamaha and wondering when/ if I'll use it.

castle offered great advice, above... a few more thoughts...

Be sure you know the tech requirements for the track day organization you're running. And get those issues settled before you arrive. Try to take care of as much of the details beforehand (bike prep, tires, etc.), so that you have nothing over which to stress about once you arrive. Arrive early, with plenty of rest. Take lots of water and keep hydrated.

For the first time out, breathe, relax, and focus on smooth. Pay close attention to the rules for the organization running your track day... ask questions if you're not sure. Know the flags and watch for them at corner stations and at start/finish.

If you must come off pace, get your hand up and do so abruptly. Do not delay. It's a great habit to form from day #1. So many times I see folks that see a flag or a crash or whatever, and they'll just chop throttle and sit up... do not do this. If someone is riding agressive and close to your 6, you will find yourself in serious peril. Get your hand up first, and smootly come off pace and off the race line.

If it's a red-flag (ends the session), don't slow down to 30mph. Get your hand up, come off race pace, but keep a good pace so you can clear the track quickly. At most track days, the EMS cannot attend to the rider down until bikes clear the track. So be safe, but be expedient.

If you signal that you are going to pit in (raising a hand or extending a leg), then get off the race line and pit in. Do not change your mind and come back on to the race line for another lap. If you do change your mind and want to go for another lap or two, fine... pit in and the track marshal will clear you to go right back out when it's clear.

Do not stop on the racetrack. Ever. If your best friend lowsides in front of you, do not stop. If your mother lowsides in front of you, do not stop. If you experience mechanical failure, get your bike well off the track to a safe location and look to a corner marshal/worker for direction.

If you do see a rider go down, do not look at them. It's called target fixation, and it's trouble. It's very difficult not to look at them, and nearly impossible not to run over them if you do. Force yourself (rehearse this in your mind) to look away and focus instead on your intended line.

As castle stated, ask lots of questions. If you need help, ask. If you see someone else needing a hand, offer it.

Have fun out there! :)

as a ART rider the biggest short coming I find is people skimp on tryes!! :(tyres are your insurance talk to the fast guys find out what tyres they recomend and make a informed decission also tyre presures!! and they are alway keen to help with suspenion set up etc very inportant ,again the training riders will know, as above relax and have fun if you think you are goin to fast YOU ARE ,ask to follow a advance rider trainer to show you the correct lines and braking points etc,
I gave a guy alot of help and riding his 999 Duke, at lunch time I asked how he was goin ,he said this is most fun I've ever had, I replied you mean with you cloths on? he said NO, the most FUN he'd ever had.
Have a go and have fun;)

I would love to know where, in or close to NY, would someone go to enjoy a track day? If someone knows, that would be great. Also, if there is a place, maybe there's a website in info and pics. Billy.

How'd you get a freeby? new bike purchase?

I actually got two track day credits for doing corner work at Texas World Speedway for Ridesmart. Well not free since corner work is actually work! :) Anyway I think it is a good idea to try and do a corner work day before doing your first track day for a few reasons:

1.) You will be familiar with how the day is run and how the different level sessions cycle throughout the day.

2.) You will be intimately aquinted with all the flags and you will have no doubt about what they mean once you are actually on the track.

3.) You can actually watch these experience folks, their body position, the lines they take.

4.) You get to see first hand what hese bikes are capable of and I think it can go a long ways towards trusting your rubber. ;)

5.) All these things add a little familiarity to the experience and can help calm nerves a bit.

Now all that being said, I have not done my first track day. I will do my first at the beginning of the 2010 season. I have, however, met a lot of folks out at the track and many that I can share paddock space with and get some advice from throughout the day. That is advice, of course, in addition to what the instructors provide.

So... I will report back after my first track day on whether I am full of BS or not.

Last edited:
Based on body shape and size, it may be difficult to find a 1 piece suit that fits unless you go custom. I have a Teknic Chicane jacket and Teknic Mercury pants for the track. They have the 360 zipper so they meet track requirements for leather gear.

Some people don't like the 2 piece because they don't feel they are as safe as a 1 piece, but I had a lower speed (45 mph) lowside at a track day and walked away with no injuries and both the jacket and pants held up with no problems.

Definitely know the rules and requirements for the group you are doing the track day with. Also, don't forget your tools, some spare nuts and bolts, food & water, chair, gas.

I agree with one of the previous posts about tires. I did one track day with stock tires and had no problems. My second track day was cooler and on a tighter track and that was one of the contributing factors to my low side.

The biggest factor in my low side was me. I got cocky and out rode my ability on an unfamiliar track. Always leave some in reserve.

Good luck and ride your ride and you will learn a lot and have a great time.

Hi all,

I've driven the fz1 for two years now recreational on the ciruit in the Netherlands in Zandvoort and Assen.
Some tips for the things I learned:
- follow the lines
- race your own race
- don't push it your times will get better automatically
- look as far as possible in the corner
- sit next to the bike in the corners
- check the suspension and get the right tires don't save money on the tires.

Any questions let me know.

Greetings,

Franklin.

Back