Installing Dogbones?

bike on centerstand... support rear wheel with a 2x4 and a few small shims....unbolt dogbones... smack bolts with a screwdriver / punch and a hammer... remove bolts... install top side of new dogbones... raise / lower rear wheel until bolt holes line up... install lower bolt... tighten everything back up.

****special note***** if you are using a rear stand, in lieu of your center stand, you may experience the following:
  • binding
  • loss of temper
  • spewing expletives
  • excessive drinking
  • possibility of the cops being called
  • possible admittance to a mental ward
  • ......feel free to add more....

use the center stand or block the frame.....to avoid the above.....other than that, if they are homemade bones, make sure the holes are the same way to that whatever forces are at play, are distributed as evenly as possible.

I may have done the first bolt upon the very first night of ever using a rear stand....:nerd: THEN, I realised my error, and it was business as usual.

Last edited:
So, how the hell do you get the bolt off? It's a 17mm, right? Those things must have been tightened by He-man.

Step 1: Go to parts store, buy a can of PB Blaster.
Step 2: Go buy 12pack of your favorite beer.
Step 3: Spray bolts with PB Blaster.
Step 4: Drink can/bottle of beer.
Step 5: Try to move bolt with a wrench.
Repeat steps 3-5 as necessary.

Dude. Fantastic. I'll PM you my address. What do you want for it? Are there any other little bits that I'll need besides the arm itself? Like the oil seals bearings etc?

good question!

I don't know. I'll see what kind of reply's I get from the classifieds section. Guess I should have stated it was a GEN II. Thanks though. If I can find out if it fits I'll get back with you. Cheers!

Wait. . . mine are for a Gen 1. ARe they going to work?

I don't know. I'll see what kind of reply's I get from the classifieds section. Guess I should have stated it was a GEN II. Thanks though. If I can find out if it fits I'll get back with you. Cheers!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news jpwdesigns, but Gen I and II dog bones are totally different.

If you can't find one in the classified here or on the other forum there's always this one that I found on eBay:

YAMAHA FZ1 2006 SHOCK LINK / LINKAGE FZ1000 FAZER: eBay Motors (item 280359380288 end time Jun-11-10 14:59:38 PDT)

Back