Internet TV/Videos/DVD from Laptop

BroHay

Stihl Loves Trees
Ok.....So I know some of you are doing all of your viewing/watching from various internet site/providers.

After playing around with my playstation, I've started to follow more of the same suit. I've got two computers that I can press into service for the family tv and trying to find ways to make it work. Plus, the Playstation is just too noisy when the fan kicks in that one has to turn up the volume to hear anything.

One is a Pavilion D1245dx that has HDMI and connect cable and get Hi-Def.

The other is a Pavilion DV9000 that is my problem. It has a S-video and also VGA, and then some expansion port that I guess is used with a docking station and don't know if that would allow me to use the TV as a display.

Anyway, since I think my HDTV has a DVI port on the back, and I have an adapter that would plug into headphone and split into R/L channel. I'm unsure about the DVI connection.

I've got a cable from my samsung monitor that is DVI (PN bn39-00246n) that I found an adapter on ebay that may allow me to use the TV as a Monitor. But, I need the advice of the more techy peeps to make sure that this adapter will work with the cable reference above....

(and also that it is the same on the back of the TV)

I had found something different, that was vga on one end and the DVI on the other....but then I searched again and brought up thisNew HP DisplayPort to DVI-D Video Cord Adapter | eBay

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Adam

Adam, I have been working on the same thing myself. My problem is getting the sound output through the HDMI cable has proven difficult with my current setup. The card is DVI out and I have a DVI to HDMI cable. The sound card though does not have an internal SP/DIF pinout for me to cable the sound into the video card which does have a two pin audio in from SP/DIF. So, I need to create a cable to get it out through the HDMI cable. My other option is to run the audio out to the stereo system and listen to the show from that while using the TV as nothing more than a video output.

My last issue is that the nVidia 260 video card will not format a 1080i screen correctly which is what my TV is (Sony rear projection LCD 1080i) so at the moment, the only thing that IS working is the VGA and mini DIN audio input on the TV where I can only get a strange small resolution out of it.

My goal? Buy a better video card, a proper sound card WITH the proper cable to output to the video card and a native HDMI to HDMI connection to the TV. Of course, I'd LOVE to replace this aging TV with a new 1080p LED LCD screen. :D

I should note that the Pav 1245dx connects just fine and works like I'd expect it to.

the dv 9000 is my problem that I'm trying to figure out what can be done with DVI/VGA adapter....

I have not even tried my craptastic fully tricked out ENVY yet because if I ask it to do anything other than be a large paper weight, it is a trip to HP for repairs....

Well, two of my laptops are HD plug-N-play. It is only the pesky DV9000 that is still a thorn in my side.....

can a USB ==> DVI serve as a viable connection inlieu of a hard plug VGA/DVI?

and are there different kinds of DVI plugs or are they universal?

Last edited:
Well, two of my laptops are HD plug-N-play. It is only the pesky DV9000 that is still a thorn in my side.....

can a USB ==> DVI serve as a viable connection inlieu of a hard plug VGA/DVI?

and are there different kinds of DVI plugs or are they universal?

USB will not work at all. :( DVI, yes, there are several different kinds. There is DVI-I, DVI-D and two others that I'm aware of. I can tell you that the DVI out on my 260 card is not the same as the DVI in on the Sony TV. :bs2: Wasn't happy about that!

I guess I just need a new 1080p LCD TV!

Adam, I have been working on the same thing myself. My problem is getting the sound output through the HDMI cable has proven difficult with my current setup. The card is DVI out and I have a DVI to HDMI cable. The sound card though does not have an internal SP/DIF pinout for me to cable the sound into the video card which does have a two pin audio in from SP/DIF. So, I need to create a cable to get it out through the HDMI cable. My other option is to run the audio out to the stereo system and listen to the show from that while using the TV as nothing more than a video output.

My last issue is that the nVidia 260 video card will not format a 1080i screen correctly which is what my TV is (Sony rear projection LCD 1080i) so at the moment, the only thing that IS working is the VGA and mini DIN audio input on the TV where I can only get a strange small resolution out of it.

My goal? Buy a better video card, a proper sound card WITH the proper cable to output to the video card and a native HDMI to HDMI connection to the TV. Of course, I'd LOVE to replace this aging TV with a new 1080p LED LCD screen. :D

You are one HUGE geek. :th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

Back