Is anyone using the Penske 8975?

CBR6RRRider

Hey all,

I'm doing some suspension pre-planning for when I get my FZ, and I wanted to see if anyone was running the 8975 shock from Penske. I've heard this is a newer shock, and after doing a forum search nothing popped up. I was leaning towards the 8900E, but the 8975 is listed specifically for the FZ and a handful of other bikes which makes me think it might be better suited to this bike.

Catalog for Power commanders, powercommander, Ohlins, shocks, forks, exhausts, Alpinestars, wheels, dampers, brake lines, dyno jet, clear tail lights, apparel, undertails, bodywork, rearsets, windscreens : Motorcycle Parts and Motorcycle Accessories

Thanks in advance!

I'd call Lee at Traxxion and talk to him.... one thing he's great for is not talking you into buying stuff that you don't need... I was talking to him about Ohlins when I was buying my rear unit, and he pretty much said that if I wanted one, he could get me one and set it up to make it work for me... but due to the extra cost for very limited better features, he recommended that I go for the Penske... he could have made more money off of me, but he'd rather see a happy customer for the best price he can offer... really a good dude.

I went with the Penske, and I'm glad that I did... when you talk to Lee, you can ask him about the shim stacking and valving on an Ohlins unit... after that talk... you'll likely be sold on the Penske, as I was.

I just installed (from Lee) a dual adjustable Penske 8983 with remote reservoir. I've not had the weather to actually go ride it yet but Lee has it all set up for my weight and riding style. I expect minimal adjustments. BTW, if you contact him through the FZ1OA site (IS is sportryder) then you get a 10% FZ1 discount on the order. ;) Saved me almost $90.

Great! I don't even have my FZ1 yet, but I'm already planning a shock swap! :)

I just sent an e-mail to Traxxion about the shock differences, so I should get some info sometime and when I do i'll post it up in here.

Thanks for discount info, I'll be sure to use that when I order!

So, you are buying Hellgate's FZ1? With the ECUnleashed? And R1 forks? You've found a great deal! I'd like to see your reaction to trying a stock FZ1 and then riding Pete's bike. ;)

The 8983 is what Lee considered the top street shock and entry level track shock and with the discount, it was priced right. I cannot thank my wife enough for buying it for me! :D

One more note... the 8983 raised the rear a bit at it's lowest ride height level. I currently have the forks up 6mm in the triples. I'm going to ride it like this for a while to see how it feels with this much shifted to the front. I may end up putting the forks back to stock height when I rebuild them in a couple weeks.

Ya, I'm planning on getting Hellgates FZ1, but it isn't a done deal yet. I have already been pre-approved for the loan, I am just waiting for him to get back from Mexico. :) Thankfully, I only live about 45 minutes away so it should be easy to pick up.

I'm very excited about getting an FZ1 if you haven't noticed. I've got an SV650 that I've ridden for the last two or so years and I love it to death, but I really wanted a 1000 to do some touring on.

Back