Is there a limit for sprocket size for a stock bike?

Fz1fighter

Hey all probably another dumb question (tried to search) but hey, I'm a newb- it's what we do.

I was wondering if there's a limit to how much you can change sprockets on a basically stock bike except for a slip on. Whether its a practical or mechanical limit? I was looking at a 530 16/47-48 kit.
Long story short, I don't think I need more power, it's more a matter of having the power it's already got in the preferred range. I don't really care about mpg or highway speed capability. This bike is destined to be a commuter/hooligan machine so again I stress- top speed doesn't mean squat to me.

Cheers

I'm running 16/47 on mine with the stock chain.
It uses a little bit more fuel than stock but it accelerates really well.

Sent from my GT-I9300

I'm running 16/47 on mine with the stock chain.
It uses a little bit more fuel than stock but it accelerates really well.

Sent from my GT-I9300

I just replaced both sprockets & chain with oem Yamaha & thinking of going 46 or 47 rear, what brand sprocket did you use?
Thanks

I used a Superlite steel one I bought from Solomotoparts.com
They don't seem to sell them any more but they do have Vortex ones that look pretty good.

Sent from my GT-I9300

You don't want to go too small in the front as it will bind and is not good for the chain but 16 is very common so no problem there. You can go as big as you want in the rear as long as the chain is long enough. Also keep in mind that your speedo will be off quite a bit after changing sprocket sizes, but this is easily remedied with a speed drd or speedo healer.

After much deliberation, I think I want to go with a 16/50 combo. Has anyone had that combo?
After a terrible trip on the bike I've realised that I'm NEVER gonna use the fz1 as a tourer so I might as well gear it up and really enjoy the hooligan side of the bike.
Can anyone give me an idea what sort of rpm I'd be pulling at 90km/hr with a 16/50?? Cheers

After much deliberation, I think I want to go with a 16/50 combo. Has anyone had that combo?
After a terrible trip on the bike I've realised that I'm NEVER gonna use the fz1 as a tourer so I might as well gear it up and really enjoy the hooligan side of the bike.
Can anyone give me an idea what sort of rpm I'd be pulling at 90km/hr with a 16/50?? Cheers

Whack your new gearing into this sucka.

Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator

It's an awesome program and it will show you everything and more you need to know about your chosen gearing query.

According to "Chain geometry changes due to sprocket & chain changes:",
If you add 2 extra links you'll be within 1mm of the stock distance between sprockets.

No problem.

Just for your info, I ran 16/47 with the stock chain.

I haven't heard of anyone doing a 16/50 so it should be interesting to see how it goes for you.

My bike is a 2008 with stock gearing, which is 17/45. At 76 miles per hour, it turns 5,000 RPM. At 90 K/h it is turning 3,679 RPM. So with 16/50 sprockets, at 90 K/h, it will turn 4,343. Should be a hooligan's dream machine.

Back