1) Buy a good saddle, ie: a firm one
2) Get a good rear shock
3) Convert to R1 forks and calipers
4) Install SS brake lines
5) Install the bar you like
6) Flash the ECU
7) Go ride!

That'd do it.

It's a shame you can't mix & match before you buy like you can with a push bike to tailor it to your comfort. Although My dealer did a lot of work to mine before i took delivery

- pipe
- levers
- tail tidy
- tank protector

they would have done more but I didn't know I wanted different bars before I rode it some.

I understand your point.

I thought it was my bike at first but that was on the 2009 bike. Now the ECU is on the 2013 bike and I'm getting the same results. The only difference in mods is the flies. The 2009 had modded flies and since Ivan says these no longer matter, the 2013 has OEM flies. Still, the same MPG. I don't know if I ride in higher RPMs? Are others simply shifting all the way to 6th and leaving it there? We all ride differently and all shift at different points.

I've yet to try Ivan's latest map but did compare it to my current map tweaked by another member and Ivan's is richer throughout. Yes, it is AWESOME performance though! I will be putting the map switch on the PC5 this winter so I can load the leaner map and Ivan's latest map then swap on the fly. It's nice to get that performance when the twisties come along.

As I stated though, I *can* achieve 38 MPG *if* I have zero fun at all. But I'm not on this bike for economy... I'm all about the pure fun of cornering. :Rockon:
I used advgear in the PCV. I copied & paste the same map in all gear then lean out the cruising range to a safe AFR in 5th & 6th. Sort of under 20% throttle in your RPM range. You still have full powwwa in all gear at WOT or in the "twistie range" and get better MPG on cruising.

Okey doke, so I've arranged to buy a seat from Dirt Road on that other forum, as suggested. As to the mileage issue, I'll be replacing the sparkplugs and air filter and I'll see where that gets me. Thanks for the advice.

As to changing the forks and shock and everything else, I'll just sell this thing and try something else if the new seat doesn't help. This time I'll get something I've ridden extensively before. Too bad I can't find any low-mileage Aprilia SL1000's.

FWIW, I think the best mod for a bike is seat time. A bike slowly reveals its personality and compatibility with you as you ride it; at least, it does for me.

Get out there and rip that throttle up past 10,000 rpm and the FZ1 will start to make a lot of sense

Okey doke, so I've arranged to buy a seat from Dirt Road on that other forum, as suggested. As to the mileage issue, I'll be replacing the sparkplugs and air filter and I'll see where that gets me. Thanks for the advice.

As to changing the forks and shock and everything else, I'll just sell this thing and try something else if the new seat doesn't help. This time I'll get something I've ridden extensively before. Too bad I can't find any low-mileage Aprilia SL1000's.

You won't be disappointed with your Dirt Road Seat, trust me. Me, at 52, aches and pains, bad back, etc., I never thought I'd ever be on a GenII. Luckily, the 09' I just got back on Mother's Day had a Dirt Road Seat already installed and all I can say is that I can literally ride this bike all day with absolutely no discomfort at all. I easily can do a 200 mile day with just a couple of stops to use the bathroom, as I'm 52 and that's what you do when your 52, but other than that I only need to stop to gas up. At a fraction of the cost of a Sargent or Corbin, Dirt Road will make all the sense in the world after your first few hundred miles. Can't wait to hear your report after you use it.

The full list of mods, and most importantly, Ivan's flash will make you love this bike. My current Tuono V4 is an incredible bike, but I still miss my FZ1 and wish I could ride it. Now that says something.

I don't have s problem myself I'm 5' 9" and weight 90kg and I have had two fz1 bikes 2007 and 2011 and I'd happily do 300 miles on mine. The only things I hate about my bike is fuel and the end of a journey for my seat I swapped it for the yamaha gel seat and I love it compared to the standard but even still I could do 150 mile on standard.

I am a bit puzzled there are several people which state that they have good mpg after the flash, i.e. loosnut who does ride hard. This contradicts your statement that the MPG would be worse after the flash. It must have something to do with the individual bikes. That does not mean that your observation is wrong, just that the MPG vary more on the bikes after the flash.

That is because Mike (loosenut) is not only fast but he is smooth as well having ridden with him many times. He will be running mostly 4th-5th gear when you are running 3-4th. His mpg will always be better at the same pace.

Back