Keeping Header pipe clean

Ok I do an annual header pipe cleaning. I do the whole wet sand thing....starting with 600-1500 and its awsome, but very time consuming. I wonder if there is a spray or wipe on product that I can use to protect my pipes clean from baked on debri. Im having a hard time do to the fact that the pipes get real hot. Any suggestions anyone!

I wipe down the bike every 250 miles or so. Heck, I never even really wash it except for 1-2 times a year. Of course, I only ride in fair weather.

When I wipe down the bike it's after a ride and I wipe down the tubes with a damp towl before they cool down. It's worked pretty well on all my other bikes too.

clean header pipes

Well I live near the ocean and It seems to be a dark, and bakes to the tubes. they get really dark quick...i wonder is it that my pipes are getting too hot?

I've lived in areas that are close to salt water and that does degrade metals a hell of a lot faster than fresh water or no water areas I live about as far from salt water as you can get and I clean my head pipes about every month during riding season. I start with an aluminum wheel cleaner and follow that up with Never-Dull and my head pipes look very good after about 16,500 miles.

I use mothers wheel polish and usually do mine about twice a month and of course usually after every ride I usegeneric Honda polish and clean the whole bike.I hate dirt!!

Barkeeper's friend works very well on stainless. I have used only the powdered version BTW. It is particularly useful at removing spotting on the pipes. . . .

I use semichrome polish. Been using it in chrome pipes for 15 years. it leaves a protective layer that helps to protect between gleanings.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use semichrome polish. Been using it in chrome pipes for 15 years. it leaves a protective layer that helps to protect between gleanings.

I have used it also and works quite well, especially on bare aluminum because of the protective coating that it leaves behind.

Barkeeper's friend works very well on stainless. I have used only the powdered version BTW. It is particularly useful at removing spotting on the pipes. . . .
:+1:

I'm gonna be doing mine again tomorrow. The reason? Silver like it came from the factory rather than gold patina. Clean pipes are worth an extra 3 hp! Pics are from the first time I ever cleaned them to celebrate my 2 year anniversary with the bike back in Aug 09. I forgot to take pictures until after I'd already done one pipe.

:+1:

I'm gonna be doing mine again tomorrow. The reason? Silver like it came from the factory rather than gold patina. Clean pipes are worth an extra 3 hp! Pics are from the first time I ever cleaned them to celebrate my 2 year anniversary with the bike back in Aug 09. I forgot to take pictures until after I'd already done one pipe.

Wow! Thats friggin shiney! So it's a powder that you rub directly on the pipes? Or do you wet it with water or something? I have heard of this product but always thought it was a liquid or paste.

Has anyone ever tried oven cleaner on their pipes for getting the hard crud off? I know it won't do much for polishing but, just maybe it can help getting stuck crud off then you can shine her up.

I tell you what, I will go try it and let you all know how it went.

Wow! Thats friggin shiney! So it's a powder that you rub directly on the pipes? Or do you wet it with water or something? I have heard of this product but always thought it was a liquid or paste.
It's a powder that you use with water. I usually make a paste first then put that on a wet rag. I make it in a small plastic container so I can save the leftover. I use the dried paste in between times for when I've gotten boot marks on the mid pipe.

Since I bought the blue polishing stuff, if I still feel okay when I get done with the barkeeper's, I'll use that for the protection.

Cleaning Hard scud

What i did i'm using the Scotch Brite sponge type fine . You need to scrub hard till the dark burn mark wipe off.

No cleaner or wax needed. What i think using cleaner or pipe polish wax actually creating and destroying the metal chrome.:noworries:

Back