Kid Germs!

Can anyone explain to me why if my 6 year old daughter comes home with the slightest sniffle picked up from a fellow 1st grader.....

...she's fine in 2 days and a week later I'm sick as a dog for 10?

Do kids in school just have some strange germs that make us parents more vulnerable, or am I just a lightweight?

She got me again this week. I can almost feel it coming, the sore throat, the achy joints, etc.

Can anyone explain to me why if my 6 year old daughter comes home with the slightest sniffle picked up from a fellow 1st grader.....

...she's fine in 2 days and a week later I'm sick as a dog for 10?

Do kids in school just have some strange germs that make us parents more vulnerable, or am I just a lightweight?

She got me again this week. I can almost feel it coming, the sore throat, the achy joints, etc.

The Petri-dishes that we call schools build up the immune systems of the kids. Unless you are there, Inside, everyday you don't have the same exposure and immunity. Think of yourself as the unknowing North American native, on the beach as the unwashed (for months) Europians came ashore to greet you. It didn't turn out well for the native.:ugh:

When your child turns up with a sniffle, start taking an extra strong Zinc and C pill every morning and night for about 7 - 10 days. Best immune booster there is! Beats medicines and 'scripts!

Now, if you turn up with a sniffle, it's too late to boost your immune system. But it does help shorten the life of the germ.

We've got a NASTY cold going around here. I got sick on Friday night, Nov. 26th and I'm just now getting back to mostly normal. I believe my granddaughter brought this home as she turned up sick on the 23rd. I started the Zinc and C then but with this bug, nothing helped! I hope none of you catch this one. I have a pretty strong immune system and have typically been resistant to most colds going around. I've NEVER had the flu.... But this bug knocked me down hard. It was all viral so no amount of penicillin or antibiotics would have done any good.

Truth though.... Zinc and C build-up if you are around sick people can ward off catching it and shorten the life of the bug if you DO catch it. Don't buy into that Zycam or Air Borne crap as it is exactly what they are using and at a much higher price.

I guess I'm in for years of this stuff then as she progresses through school? I've been doing the C but not the Zinc.

I fear it may be too late....cough.

The Petri-dishes that we call schools build up the immune systems of the kids. Unless you are there, Inside, everyday you don't have the same exposure and immunity.

I'm probably going to jinx myself by doing this.....
I was fortunate enough to have a job where I could be the "Friday Mom" at my kids school....just what it sounds like, there every Friday to help the teachers. And now I work for Hasbro Toys....you can imagine all the children I'm around daily. I think I have the immune system of an elephant. I can't remember last time I was really sick.
Not much you can do for a common cold except "play it up" and have your wife & daughter wait on you hand & foot... ;)
Feel better soon Brian!

That's pretty typical Brian. Every cold I get lasts a week or more. Kids are much more resilient. Don't even talk about breaking bones. The older you get the longer it takes you to heal. One of my doc friends told me a long time ago how his 2 year old scraped his knee and before they got home in 1 hour to clean it the skin was already starting to heal over the dirt in the wound. Me and you, it would still be bleeding 3 hours later and it would take 2 weeks for the scrape to heal.

I guess I'm in for years of this stuff then as she progresses through school? I've been doing the C but not the Zinc.

I fear it may be too late....cough.

Same here Brian. I'll have to give it a try.
I've been taking about 2-3000 mg of C every day for the last 8 years. I had to go see the doc two weeks ago and I mentioned it. He told me to stop as too much vitamin C causes kidney stones. I don't know though. If it does I probably would have had them already. I have cut down to 750mg per day to be safe.

Back