Knock in shock2

Hi guys.
I still have a problem with a knocking sound from the front end.
I've removed the whole faring,checked the brake pads,callipers and brake hoses. Removed the fender ect. The sound comes from the left hand front shock. The one that does the compressing. When the bike/shock is cold the noise is louder than the noise when the bike/shock reached working temp.
The shock works fine and there is no leaks, it just has a knocking sound that drives me nuts when you go slow.
I've adjusted the preload all the way in and out,still the same knock. You can hear the knock when the bike is on the centerstand and you press the front end up and down.
Can anybody help me please?
Do I need to change the fork oil?
07 Fz1s
Thanx!:bowdown:

I'd remove that fork at this point... take it off the bike and check for play in the assembly... up and down and side to side...

There's a slight noise on my forks from the cartridges being slightly longer than the springs and the rest of the assembly. But once installed on the bike, they're compressed enough to where there is no noise....

have you set your static / rider sag?

I'd remove that fork at this point... take it off the bike and check for play in the assembly... up and down and side to side...

There's a slight noise on my forks from the cartridges being slightly longer than the springs and the rest of the assembly. But once installed on the bike, they're compressed enough to where there is no noise....

have you set your static / rider sag?

Yes. The sag is setup perfect. The ride is perfect but the irratating knocking sound!!!

Yes. The sag is setup perfect. The ride is perfect but the irratating knocking sound!!!

Mine too. Been doing that for a while. Hasn't gotten any worse. Thinking about a major suspension mod. when funds allow. Till then I will just live with it. Must be from cheap components or poor design I would guess..

I've noticed a knock in the front and every time I search for it, I can't find anything. I only hear it at slow speeds on a harsh bump though. Still not sure what it is...

Must be the latest Gen II Gremlin. Let's see who resolves it first. :D

Just a thought, but once I was home if you followed by "post trip" report, I also had a knock in the front end which wound up being the steering head. It was also only heard on slow speed bumps. After loosening and retorqing the steering head bolt, the knock is long gone. I had always heard it when I came home and ran up my driveway in front of the garage, even before going with the tapered bearings. No I come up the curb to complete silence and smoothness. It won't hurt you to remove the top tree and remove, regrease, and retorque the bearings and nut. It's part of the maintenance anyway so even if it's not the issue, you have your steering back on spec.

Excellent point Billy. Thanks! I will have to do that on the next rainy evening. I want to lower the triples on the forks a but anyway so I may as well go through the whole front end.

Steak dinner on my if that is the culprit! :tup:

From a Good Gen I source Guru.....

As recommended by the July 2004 issue of Cycle World, when reinstalling a front wheel, take this one important step that can allow the front suspension to function at least as smoothly afterward as it did before. To ensure that the fork tubes will travel smoothly in their stanchions after reassembly, butt the wheel against something solid, like a wall, and repeatedly pump the front end up and down as far and fast as you can by alternately pushing and lifting on the handlebar. This automatically aligns the tubes and stanchions for the smoothest operation. Pump the fork up and down at least six times and don’t use the front brake when doing so or the action of the calipers may prevent the legs from centering themselves.

Once you’ve completed this procedure, tighten the axle pinch bolt to its spec of 23 Nm, 17 lb-ft.

Then reinstall the front fender and forkbrace if you have one.

Appendix:

My experience with this upgrade does not stop here. After removing the clicking sound on the right fork and reassembling the bike, the clicking sound came back just by exercising the front suspension by pushing and tugging on the bars in the garage. Apparently, I did not sufficiently compress the fork during the banging and testing. My dad, who was helping me with the assembly, suggested that we loosen the lower and upper triple clamps on that right fork and rotate the shiny tube part of the fork with respect to the lower part of the fork which is held in place by the front axle. Since this was easy to do I thought why not? We gave it a shot and rotated the tube one quarter turn clockwise. After retorquing the pinch bolts, sure enough the clicking was gone. I don't know why this worked but it did and that's good enough for me.

Just a thought, but once I was home if you followed by "post trip" report, I also had a knock in the front end which wound up being the steering head. It was also only heard on slow speed bumps. After loosening and retorqing the steering head bolt, the knock is long gone. I had always heard it when I came home and ran up my driveway in front of the garage, even before going with the tapered bearings. No I come up the curb to complete silence and smoothness. It won't hurt you to remove the top tree and remove, regrease, and retorque the bearings and nut. It's part of the maintenance anyway so even if it's not the issue, you have your steering back on spec.

Had a new set of All Balls installed and no difference. :surrender:

Oh no..

Hi guys.
I still have a problem with a knocking sound from the front end.
I've removed the whole faring,checked the brake pads,callipers and brake hoses. Removed the fender ect. The sound comes from the left hand front shock. The one that does the compressing. When the bike/shock is cold the noise is louder than the noise when the bike/shock reached working temp.
The shock works fine and there is no leaks, it just has a knocking sound that drives me nuts when you go slow.
I've adjusted the preload all the way in and out,still the same knock. You can hear the knock when the bike is on the centerstand and you press the front end up and down.
Can anybody help me please?
Do I need to change the fork oil?
07 Fz1s
Thanx!:bowdown:

Sounds like real trouble I'm afraid. Talked with a guy in the UK. w/same prob. he got the left assy. replaced under warranty. Not my luck. Thinking total revamp.. Harra (ps. mine now has started leaking also.)

Back