LED Blinkers

johnnyontherocks

The Cosmic Avenger
With the new FE came LED blinkers. I purchased a resistor set anticipating the increased blinking rate. I did a mock up wiring job to check functionality before soldering. The blink rate is still really fast. The resistor kit came with a front and rear setup. Do I need to install LEDs up front with the resistor or did I get a bogus kit?:wtf:

With the new FE came LED blinkers. I purchased a resistor set anticipating the increased blinking rate. I did a mock up wiring job to check functionality before soldering. The blink rate is still really fast. The resistor kit came with a front and rear setup. Do I need to install LEDs up front with the resistor or did I get a bogus kit?:wtf:

You might be better off not using the resistors and switching to a signal flasher meant for LEDs. Plug-n-play ;)

LED FLASHER RELAY HONDA/KAWASAKI/YAMAHA - eBay (item 190509661270 end time Apr-05-11 23:32:14 PDT)

I have LED's only in the rear but left the stock signals on the bike so they are acting as the 7.5 ohm resistors and the front lights are still stock. According to info I had, if you used LED's front and rear, you would need the 7.5 resistors wired in parallel with the led's on all four corners. If you measure the filament of the stock bulbs, you'll read 7.5 OHM and that's where they get their measurement for the resistors.. They should also be 50 watt to carry the load. The resistors are quite large.

Last edited:
Lonerider that was why I didn't bother with resistors at all chose to replace the signal relay instead with a universal one I got from Cycle gear. At the moment I'm running a combination of led/halogen signals with no issues.

You might be better off not using the resistors and switching to a signal flasher meant for LEDs. Plug-n-play ;)

LED FLASHER RELAY HONDA/KAWASAKI/YAMAHA - eBay (item 190509661270 end time Apr-05-11 23:32:14 PDT)

Yes, you will need one of these. They are available as a Lockhart Phillips part at most of the local motorcycle parts stores. They work and they suck because they are made in China and have a life expendiency of about six months. Walmart is so happy to import these Chinese goods because they have their own superliner boat! Do I sound a little angry: oops:

Yes, you will need one of these. They are available as a Lockhart Phillips part at most of the local motorcycle parts stores. They work and they suck because they are made in China and have a life expendiency of about six months. Walmart is so happy to import these Chinese goods because they have their own superliner boat! Do I sound a little angry: oops:

Mine has been on the bike for quite a while and it's still working fine...maybe yours was defective...lol

I hear you Fastrun. I don't know how many Chinese rip=offs Iv'e bought then had them fail within weeks, if not days.

Well, if all else fails, just PM me your home address and I'll send you this Priority Mail and you'll have it in no time. No charge for you. Oh, and by the way, it's not a cheap knockoff either........I think.

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

It's brand new and never used!

View attachment 5791

Thank You Billy. The photos you posted put me in the right direction. I was about to ask you to send a pic of the rest of the directions but I figured it out. I thought the kit I purchased was for from and rear. I guess its just for 1 set. It has two of these. I just figured the correct wiring one wire black side one wire yellow side and Whamo proper blink rate. Sorry for being a little dumb today and thanks for the help guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
View attachment 5791

Thank You Billy. The photos you posted put me in the right direction. I was about to ask you to send a pic of the rest of the directions but I figured it out. I thought the kit I purchased was for from and rear. I guess its just for 1 set. It has two of these. I just figured the correct wiring one wire black side one wire yellow side and Whamo proper blink rate. Sorry for being a little dumb today and thanks for the help guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, no problems here pal. I have had this sitting in my drawer since I owned my Honda Shadow three years ago. One day someone will need it. I'm glad you got it figured out!

Well my temporary bullet connector wiring job is done and everything works the way it should. Need to assess exactly were to mount the resistors the get a little hot then start soldering. Once again thanks for the help all.

I have LED rear and stock front. Changed to led flasher and every thing works as it should. $14 i think and it was about 1min to replace. Got it at Cycle Gear

Johnny, proton makes a set that maintain running lights, and do not require an extra resistor. Couple of different flash rates available also, I use "strobe". It looks cool. :)

I took a look at them and they are cool. Does the strobe effect the rear signals?

No it doesn't Johnny. I have the proton flush mounts up front, and the melotti FE LED's in the back, and the back does not strobe like the front.

I'm having a similar problem to your original one though i think. Both of the back and for some reason only the right front blinker are blinking too rapidly. Since all 4 of mine are LED, what is the simplest way to make all of the blink at the appropriate speed, and in sync?

If i just need to install and LED flasher (maybe?), could someone link one?

Back