Long Rides?

Just got an 09 FZ1 and have not ridden a bike of this style for any extended length of time. Was wondering about long rides on this bike? I have a trip to Tennessee coming up, about 550 miles (9ish or so hours) and am trying to prepare and think if I should do it on the bike. Throttle hand keeps going numb while riding as well.

Relax your grip on the throttle a bit. Well, try it. It worked for me, it might help you.
I've spent all day on my bike a few times. It's no Goldwing, but it's not bad. My biggest day this summer was around 500 miles, maybe a few more. Plan lots of breaks and don't push yourself beyond your limit. It's tempting to push at the end of the day and get to where you're going, but that's when mistakes are made. It's a pretty powerful bike, and it can get away from you if you're not giving it your undivided attention.

Get a throttle assist (plastic thing that wraps around throttle). That will help you to loosen up the grip on the throttle. Also - invest in a good pair of earphones. Personally, I use the etymotic hf5 for superior sound AND noise (wind) reduction.

I rode my Yamaha Raider from Roanoke, VA down to Nashville, TN one time. It wasn't bad, but it had a windshield and I could lean back on some luggage. Maybe you could pack some bags to support your lower back?

I have an 09 too. I made it comfortable for me first: Sargent seat, Rox bar risers, Oxford Sport heated grips, highway pegs, and Zero Gravity taller windshield. None of these mods detract from the feel and fun of the bike.

For my hand, I have a Throttle Rocker for shorter rides and a Kaoko throttle lock for highway cruising.

Have fun riding a great bike!

MrHix

Thanks.... I will certanly get a throttle assist and I like the idea of packing some things behind me for support. The trip is in mid october so i have time to get some longer rides in. I think I' m proabbly gripping a little tight as well. Always thought it was the vibration of the Harley I had but guess not. I love this bike though! I actually like it more than I expected. I think it was a great choice. Thanks for the help.

I'm really going to have to start looking for the mods you guys are referring to, sounds like theres ALLOT out there to make it comfortable for the individual which is pretty cool!

I dont think it can be stressed enough... wear ear plugs... dont mess with an ipod... nothing... just ear plugs... you will be worn down to nothing or your hearing will be shot before your ride is done...

I have an '03 FZ1 and a '05 Kawasaki z750s... and had a 07 buell blast... by far the FZ1 is the best for long distance... even with the stock seat it is better than the rest... by far... 3-400 miles feels like barely anything ... for the last 100 miles i would suggest a nice long rest before pushing through...

Do not forget to hydrate... drink a shit load... and then drink more... on long rides you do not notice you are dehydrated until it is too late...

Most importantlu.... Be safe...

The guy before me put a gel seat on it and I have not had any issues so far, not sure how the stock seat compares but dont plan on finding out. The ear plugs and Ipod are something I had not considered and thanks for bringing it up. I'm sure it makes a difference on a long ride. I bought this HJC helmet with bluetooth which I had not seen before... and the full face raises up to take a drink, breathe etc... I thought that was really cool. I saw it and had to have it.

I will echo the earplug thing. Don't ride without earplugs! The wind noise you get while riding is more than loud enough to damage your hearing in a very short time... it's stressful and will wear you out as well.

The single most important thing to remember while riding is to relax. Most people are tensed up by default when riding, it's a natural response. Tension is what causes you to be sore, stiff and tired. This is number one for doing distance; all the throttle locks, gel seats, hippo hands, jerk off machines and so on won't really do much if you're always tense

It's all about feeling like the bike is an extension of your body. You're not riding the bike, you're just moving. As soon as you stop trying to control the bike and start controlling yourself on the bike things get easier. Practice your form, body positioning, etc... and when you are just cruising the proper form will become natural. The best feeling in the world is when you stop thinking about what you want the bike to do and start just thinking about what you want to do and letting the bike follow your body.

How does that work?
That little thingy mounts around the grip and points forward, just over the brake lever. You get to a certain RPM and push it down with your index finger. It rests on brake lever which prevents throttle from closing.
To *turn it off*, you just close the throttle.

Here's a good demo: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkI3SGKp3pk]Product Review on the Go Cruise Throttle Control - YouTube[/ame]

Original Motorcycle Cruise Control - Crampbuster

I was going to paste the throttle rocker site here for you also, but apparently they have gone out of business :(

You can most likely find one or the other in a local bike shop instead of having to order one and pay all that shipping and crap.

Oh and :welcome:

I second the cramp buster. I recently did a long trip and never could have done it without the cramp buster.

I second the cramp buster. I recently did a long trip and never could have done it without the cramp buster.

X3 - Last year I did ~1500-miles in 3-days. I think it would have been next-to-impossible without it... (That brake-lever lock looks interesting too...)

pump up your tires 2-4psi, stretch on each gas fill up, 500 miles is no problem. your hand hurting is your seating position, relax more, less weight on your hands

I also have done 500+ miles on my FZ1 and I can say it was a nice ride. The cramp-buster is great. Having ear protection is a must, I rode with ear-buds and one fell out on my last leg and I wish I would have stopped to fix it.

Make sure you keep yourself hydrated, take your time at stops and give a chance to stretch out. I like to listen to music so it keeps my mind fresh while riding, after a long stretch of listening to just the hum of the engine/ exhaust is kinda numbing for me. Having sunglasses or a tinted visor will help too. I would also add to make sure your geared up, but comfortable as well. I've read it's good to not have anything to tight because it can cause problems after a while too. If your taking luggage most people would also agree that you need to keep your packing with heavy on the bottom and keep it even.

Back