Looking For A New Helmet

Recon Viper 1

Just check out the extensive data on these beauties and see if they appeal to you

I habitually scour the major internet discounters for great deals on gear and I always read the product descriptions to learn as much as I can about the features of items offered.

The following helmets are being offered by KneeDraggers and I have no beef with them. I've ordered from them before and have received good service and good products at good prices but they don't make it easy.

Are you interested in a new

Icon Airframe Helmet - Claymore Chrome Blue/Chrome

7f98d4683a5d10510c5190cd1ff8fb29_rough.jpg

The price is good

ON SALE:
$184.50
Regularly $360.00, you save $175.50!

And here are the helmets features

The electroplating process leaves behind an energy that never truly dissipates. An energy best described as a soulless mercurial void. Both engaging and rebuking the envious stares of caged drivers, the Claymore Chrome glides through the jagged chasms of modern urbania. It passes no judgement, resigned to merely observe and note. It is the mirrored enabler - acknowledge and move on.

That's it. That's all the information they provide but it should be enough if you're "gliding through the jagged chasms of modern urbania".

Just in case you want one

http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/...me-Blue/Chrome

However, if you're interested in the

Icon Domain 2 Helmet

dbeb2658c854737faf7f1407e3c4d919_rough.jpg

You will find it attractively priced at

ON SALE:
$181.86
Regularly $390.00, you save $208.14!

And it features

It's cool to like fictional Japanese space robots. They've got future swords and cosmic powers and stuff. Some of 'em can even destroy entire planets. We don't know about this stuff ourselves. We knew a guy who was into robots back in the day.

SNELL M2005 and DOT FMVSS 218 approved
Dyneema/Carbon fiber/Aramid composite shell
Wind tunnel tested and refined
Imported

Just in case you want one

http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/...t-Sha-Do-Black

Well, at least we got some data there but makes me wonder who would buy them with the lack of data available and how are their sales with these juvenile descriptions.

I'll be honest, I'm not interested in ventilation, shields, liners or fit; it's those "soulless mercurial voids" that are appealing to me.

Each to there own, but why waste your money on flashy crap made in China/Taiwan/Korea.

False economy.

Each to there own, but why waste your money on flashy crap made in China/Taiwan/Korea.

False economy.

In todays world it has less to do on where it's made and more about the merit of the actual product. As far as I'm concerned, Icon products have none so I won't buy them!

Icon is nothing more than a brand name for products from Yamaha's wholesale side .

There are only a small X number of helmet makers in the world , and everyone does it through them and rebrands them.

All built to a price and a fashion.

If you want a real helmet buy a Arai or Shoei simple as that.

Helmet threads are like oil threads, everyone brings their own biases to the table. Saying that the only worthy helmets are Shoei and Arai is foolish and ignorant, there are many good helmets made and marketed. I've owned many Arai and Shoei helmets and have been happy with them, but I currently wear an HJC FS-15 Carbon Fiber lid and it is superior or equal to the other two in overall fit 'n finish, weight, quietness, and their test results are also as good as the Big Two, except the street price is about 1/3 of the others. Best advice is to try on different brands and styles, read the online reviews, and make a choice.

Helmet threads are like oil threads, everyone brings their own biases to the table. Saying that the only worthy helmets are Shoei and Arai is foolish and ignorant

Wrong son, Arai and Shoei revolutionised the helmet industry 30 years ago , that put Bell broke in the long run.

Everything available now is nothing more than a cheap copy of either , modified for fashion and costs.

I'll tell you a story,

Back in 83 bought a Arai CLC Wes Cooley replica , cost me $300 , about 3 weeks wages , I crashed at Oran Park coming into the main straight , got highsided by my TZ350 , crashed into the cement wall with my head on the right side , and the back wheel on the spinning bike on my left side at the same time.

Complete cruncho , only cracked the shell slighty , I had no head injuries other than a big headache , and a broke collarbone .

This is where modern day safety did not excist.

No Air bag fences , just 3 gym pads taped on , ( missed it by that much )

They sent the lid back to japan , for testing .

Thats commitment to quality !

Sold for Life !

I find it really stupid you youngsters , will spend $300 or $400 dollars on useless crap for no benifit over than looking good , yet whinge at the price of a helmet.

How much is your head worth ?

Really in a SMASH or just looking in the mirror at yourself standing up ??

Best advice is to try on different brands and styles, read the online reviews, and make a choice.

All i can say is you must have a fat head and a cheapskate.

If you base your helmet buy on online reviews , your a tool.

I've got several....I've been wearing a Scorpion EXO100 that I bought when sportbiketrackgear.com had them cheap. I also have a Arai, and a Scorpion EXO400.

Check out sportbike track gear for some decent deals also..

All i can say is you must have a fat head and a cheapskate.

If you base your helmet buy on online reviews , your a tool.

Why the name calling?

Your facts are correct but meeningless!

A study was done to decide which level or standard or brand saved lives better.

The result was this.

Out of all of the crashes where head injury was determined the cause of death only 5% were wearing helmets at all.
And of that 5% the bodies had so much additional body trauma they would have most likely died anyhow even if the head injury wasnt the ruling.
End result of the study.
There were not enough fatalities due to head injury while wearing a helmet to determine if DOT, Snell, Or Brit standard gave better protection.
Wearing a helmet at all saves lives.
The recomendation was buy at least a DOT approved and be sure to follow correct fitment for the best protection.

Im not saying one helmet isnt made better or is flashier.
What I am saying is you dont have to buy into hype.
I doubt Brain buckets were in the study, so Im not even considering them a helmet. The person who wears them does not care about brand or paint schemes.

Now your up to date. Stop name calling.
There are no tools here.
I can provide the study results if anyone else would like to see it, I just need to relocate it.

Last edited:
I prefer Shoei. Companies manufacture helmets in differing shapes and I found a Shoei to fit a round head almost perfectly where the Arai was slightly egg/oval in shape.

The most important thing to me is if a helmet passed both Snell and DOT AND it is a snug fit. It shouldn't slip on your head AT ALL when you wear it and shake your head in any direction. I always try them on at the dealer then give the dealer a chance to match internet pricing.

Every head is different and there's a manufacturer out there who has one your shape and size. Bell has been making gains back into the market in recent years. HJC has a long track record but when I envision a quality helmet, I personally think of Shoei first and compare all the rest to it.

No one can say here what company is the best because that company may not make one that fits your head shape thus it isn't the best for you. Web Bike World has some extensive information and charts that show what company makes what shape, approvals, etc.... Helmet design is constantly evolving and several players have been upping the game.

Try 'em on and choose what YOU FIT. :tup:

I prefer Shoei. Companies manufacture helmets in differing shapes and I found a Shoei to fit a round head almost perfectly where the Arai was slightly egg/oval in shape.

The most important thing to me is if a helmet passed both Snell and DOT AND it is a snug fit. It shouldn't slip on your head AT ALL when you wear it and shake your head in any direction. I always try them on at the dealer then give the dealer a chance to match internet pricing.

Every head is different and there's a manufacturer out there who has one your shape and size. Bell has been making gains back into the market in recent years. HJC has a long track record but when I envision a quality helmet, I personally think of Shoei first and compare all the rest to it.

No one can say here what company is the best because that company may not make one that fits your head shape thus it isn't the best for you. Web Bike World has some extensive information and charts that show what company makes what shape, approvals, etc.... Helmet design is constantly evolving and several players have been upping the game.

Try 'em on and choose what YOU FIT. :tup:

But you know Arai makes 3 different head-shaped helmet models, right? :shine: (I think maybe they are the only company to do this........?)

The Importance of Arai's Different Interior Shapes

I've previously had Shoei too, but will always stay with Arai now. I wear the RX-Q :flash::

Helmets

Last edited:
But you know Arai makes 3 different head-shaped helmet models, right? :shine: (I think maybe they are the only company to do this........?)

Yes, thanks! Here's a list of the shapes that are available. Arai isn't the only one but they were definitely the first to start recognizing that riders have different shapes! :tup:

Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld

The last column shows the shapes and the key is at the top.

Looks like with my helmet I'm a SR-slightly rounder in that distribution, which is unusual per the 1 standard deviation difference from average presumed population...

So........I'm "above-average". Cool. :p

Back