Lowering question

chopper71

I've been fighting the want to lower my bike.Thought against it but now wanting to do it.I'm wanting to do it for my piece of mind.I'm right on my tippy toes when I stop and take off.I know about using one leg with a slight lean puts that foot flat on the ground.I just no longer feel comfortable doing that.My question is lowering the bike an inch would give me about two inches lower in the seat? Also would I have to lower the front the same inch as the back? I'm going to get the 1 inch lower link from Cyle One Off.Then going to take it to the shop and have them lower it.

I dropped mine 1", with the link from cycle one off, the owner of that company lives in my neighborhood :). I did the 1" drop and DID NOT adjust the front end. I have had no issues with this. The 1" drop is the change you will feel at the seat, the link isn't actually 1" longer than the stock one, the 1" describes the change more or less. With this said, I am about 5'9" and I am now very comfortable with the height. In my opinion, 2" drop would be a bit more than you probably will need.

....also... (it'd be great if i could formulate a complete thought before i post)

Lowering the bike yourself is VERY easy... Two bolts, just need a socket and a wrench, The only thing that is helpful is a second person to lift on the rear wheel to get the bolts back in, but this can be done on your own also.

Just an FYI... Traxxion Dynamics can build you a Penske 8900 that will lower the rear 1" too, AND you'll have performance/comfort/stable suspension. ;)

Thanks for the info fella's.That's pretty neat its your bike as the advertising.I think I'm going to go with that link.Since he lives near you.Ask him if he can put a rush on my order lol.I've already put so much money into this bike.The next I'll probably be paying for is a divorce lol.

Like Brenda, I lowered my wife's FZ1 2" with Soupy's link too. Fully micro-adjustable so you can get it set exactly where you want, not limit yourself to 1" or 2" with the other products. Keep in mind, you will need either an adjustable kickstand or modify your kickstand.

That one looks pretty solid, I'd just avoid the adjustable ones as they have a record of snapping. The thicker and chunkier the better. If that snaps when you're riding, you're done

I've only heard of two snapping and it is Soupy's belief that it was installation that caused it by not torquing the bolts properly. That causes some slop/movement in the ends which then failed. I put my wife on one of these links and if I thought it was unsafe, it would have been removed already. I check it once in a while and it is still as solid as when I bought it. ;)

Like Brenda, I lowered my wife's FZ1 2" with Soupy's link too. Fully micro-adjustable so you can get it set exactly where you want, not limit yourself to 1" or 2" with the other products. Keep in mind, you will need either an adjustable kickstand or modify your kickstand.

I saw somewhere in a post on here about you lowering your wife's. I do have the Soupy's adjustable kickstand already. Bought that when I thought I would be getting Cycle One Off's lowering link, so all good there. Personally I would rather get a solid versus adjustable.As I just want to lower it just enough and I think for me. One inch will be the sweet spot for me. Would lowering the rear 1 inch and raising the front 1/2 sound about right? I have read so much and have seen so many different opinions.Some say raise the front, leave the rear alone.Some say raise the front equal to the amount you lower the rear.Then some say just lower the rear and leave the front alone. Others say lower the rear then raise the front half of what you did to the rear. Any sound advice on how I should go?

I saw somewhere in a post on here about you lowering your wife's. I do have the Soupy's adjustable kickstand already. Bought that when I thought I would be getting Cycle One Off's lowering link, so all good there. Personally I would rather get a solid versus adjustable.As I just want to lower it just enough and I think for me. One inch will be the sweet spot for me. Would lowering the rear 1 inch and raising the front 1/2 sound about right? I have read so much and have seen so many different opinions.Some say raise the front, leave the rear alone.Some say raise the front equal to the amount you lower the rear.Then some say just lower the rear and leave the front alone. Others say lower the rear then raise the front half of what you did to the rear. Any sound advice on how I should go?

You mean lower the front, right? You cannot raise the front from stock. ;) I lowered her bike 2" in the rear and 1.5" in the front. Here's how this has cause and effect:
  • Lowering the rear and not the front puts more weight on the rear of the bike. Great for straight lines but makes the bike harder to corner (think about the rake of a cruiser here)
  • Lowering the front and not the rear puts more weight forward on the bike which is great for cornering but too much will make the bike unstable in a straight line. The bike will always *feel* like it wants to fall into a corner. Great for track days but if you go extreme, consider a steering stabilizer.
  • Lowering the front and rear as close to the same amount as possible will leave the bike feeling most like stock.

Currently, I have my Penske set .75" high and I've gone from a 50R to a 55R rear tire. My bike is raised in the rear 1.2" and I've lowered the front (raised the forks in the triples) 6mm. I also have a GPR Steering stabilizer. I feel quite stable in a straight line but the bike easily falls into the corners with a slight counter-steer. The stabilizer gives me 100% confidence I won't get steering-head wobble (tank slapper) when I lift the front exiting a corner or headed in a hard straight line.

Lowering the rear with a 1" solid link and not doing anything to the front will not lower the bike 1", more like 1/2"... to get the full effect of the link, you'll need to raise the forks in the triples as well. What I'd suggest is put in the link and see how you feel. Test ride but keep it sane! See how the bike responds to counter-steer and corners and test how your feet are planted at a stop. Then, move the forks up in the triples 1/4" at a time, testing the same way each time. You'll know when your feet and your cornering is optimal. With a 1" link, try to keep the forks no more than 1" raised in the triples. I think this is the safest approach for you without making an extreme change to the dynamics of the bike and riding out not understanding how this affected your bike.

If you have any questions, please keep asking. We want you safe and confident.

Last edited:
By raising it I meant raised in the triples, so it would actually be lowering it. Sorry if I made it confusing on what I was meaning lol. Maybe I should just try harder to get use to how my position is when at a stop. That way I don't change how the bike handles now and what seems to be the safest route. I do appreciate all the advice and tips, thanks.

hi I did the adjustable lowering kit and had it done by a trusted service shop (didn't want to risk my life on believing I did it right ). they also lowered the front to match the rear drop. Handles great on the highway still at high speeds. But be careful with adjustable making sure the lock nuts stay tight found mine have loosen. And yes you will need to mod or get a adjustable kickstand

Back