Maybe moving to Northern California. Is it worth it?

speeddemon2588

To all my California Motorcycle owners,

I'm considering a new job in Richmond, CA. I've always loved California as a visitor but most people I know who grew up in California hate it.
As a two wheel enthusiast will I have a hard time with a modded bike (shortened header no cat, shorty pipe fairly loud, fuel controller)? Are the taxes, laws and politics really that bad as people make it out to be? How happy are you living in CA? If you are north Ca resident, what's it like to live there? I figure it can't be much worse than living in Indiana. I really miss mountains and the sun.

Thanks in advance.

I moved to NorCal in 1998 from the Dallas area. The cost to live here at the same level was about $15-20K more. The salaries are higher here. The weather is fantastic. The politics are decidedly liberal with an extra dose of stupid IMHO. I always tell people to visit rather than move here, however it is a fantastic place to ride motorcycles. Your motorcycle will be fine as long as the VIN numbers match. Indiana huh. Hmmmm. See ya soon!

I lived in the East Bay of SF about 20 years ago and it was great for motorcycling, but since I was on an assignment for my company I didn't get hit with all the taxes CA heaps on it's citizens. Do some research on the state income tax.....if I recall it is in the 10% range and that rate kicks in at a fairly low income level ($50,000 or so?), that's enough to give me pause. Everything is higher in CA, including fuel. Only you can decide if the weather and riding conditions offset the higher cost of living and the wacko politics.

Lived here all my life

Not sure I would if the wife did not have a huge family, I have a 2 year old granddaughter, can't retire for five years and the incredible amount of great places to ride the FZ1. It is very expensive to live in CA. IMHO :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I've lived in Southern California most of my life, and I have been up north too many times to count. The weather and roads are great for motorcycles. Beyond that, I'm leaving California as soon as I retire.

It is the only state in the Union where you can legally lane split, so when it comes to Motorcycle ownership IMO it is the most Motorcycle friendly.

Also you should not have any issues moving your bike in. The DMV only seems to care about cars.

I moved almost 3 years ago to SF Bay and love it. Yes it is expansive but who cares you pay for being in a great place and the salaries here give you a good life.

The bike first. California DMV DOES care what you bring into the state. You will have to go to a dmv office and show engine and frame vin numbers plus any emission stickers from the year your bike was made. I brought in an 08 Wing from Oregon a year and a half ago and that's what I had to do. PIA

Plus any fees, ca dmv is not bike friendly when you bike is not stock. EDIT a friend just got a 2002 Triumph from Texas registered without the emission sticker as it was a used bike with over 7,500 miles so you may be ok.

The riding-best weather and state in the US by far. Rear round riding with twisty roads for hundreds of miles.

I would not want to live in the Bay area(or any metro area) but that's your call.

Politics and cost of living is a pain but when out riding in January who cares how screwed up they are at the Capital.

PS the women are easy on the eye too :)

Last edited:
LOL yes living in Redding and growing up in the Hills of Northern California I Don't really consider Sac and the Bay area Norther Ca. That being said I have a unique situation I have a great Job in a cheaper part of Ca.I absolutely love it in Redding. The riding is off the hook. The laws and libatards will drive you crazy and your out numbered in most the state.(not in upper Northern Ca,). Good lucj wiht what you decide.

LOL yes living in Redding and growing up in the Hills of Northern California I Don't really consider Sac and the Bay area Norther Ca. That being said I have a unique situation I have a great Job in a cheaper part of Ca.I absolutely love it in Redding. The riding is off the hook. The laws and libatards will drive you crazy and your out numbered in most the state.(not in upper Northern Ca,). Good lucj wiht what you decide.

However what he's not saying is the average summer daily temp. in Redding is 115 bazillion degrees! :poke:

i'll say the same thing to you as i do anyone who moves around there, i'd be too busy riding to ever be on a forum. the roads in the northern half of cali plus southern oregon, are amazing

I wouldn't move to California if they offered to pay me to live there. Visit yes, did a N California ride just last year. (redwoods and north) Did have a great time that trip. Heading out to do yellowstone, the Peaks and twisties of Colorado, Arizona and all the national parks in Utah May 27th or so. one of my kids is the only one going so far.

I wouldn't move to California if they offered to pay me to live there. Visit yes, did a N California ride just last year. (redwoods and north) Did have a great time that trip. Heading out to do yellowstone, the Peaks and twisties of Colorado, Arizona and all the national parks in Utah May 27th or so. one of my kids is the only one going so far.
Good welcome to Ca now get out..lol I am strange I love the heat so Redding is fine.Ca is the most beautiful and diverse sate in the USA it has everything. but taxes and politicians screw it all up for some. I have lived here all my life so I don't know any better. I am staying..

The bike first. California DMV DOES care what you bring into the state. You will have to go to a dmv office and show engine and frame vin numbers plus any emission stickers from the year your bike was made. I brought in an 08 Wing from Oregon a year and a half ago and that's what I had to do. PIA

Plus any fees, ca dmv is not bike friendly when you bike is not stock. EDIT a friend just got a 2002 Triumph from Texas registered without the emission sticker as it was a used bike with over 7,500 miles so you may be ok.

The riding-best weather and state in the US by far. Rear round riding with twisty roads for hundreds of miles.

I would not want to live in the Bay area(or any metro area) but that's your call.

Politics and cost of living is a pain but when out riding in January who cares how screwed up they are at the Capital.

PS the women are easy on the eye too :)

I was referring more to once you have it here. You can mod you bike anyway you want to because unlike cars there are no smog requirements for motorcycles, and most Harley guys run straight pipes, so you can get away with whatever exhaust you want.

I was referring more to once you have it here. You can mod you bike anyway you want to because unlike cars there are no smog requirements for motorcycles, and most Harley guys run straight pipes, so you can get away with whatever exhaust you want.

You can ignore the politics and high prices as salaries here are great and much higher than rest of the country. However the cost of living is prohibitive to sustain after retirement so move out at that time.

You can ignore the politics and high prices as salaries here are great and much higher than rest of the country. However the cost of living is prohibitive to sustain after retirement so move out at that time.

I would say depending on industry and job role.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Back