Michelin Pilot Road 3

I did find them on two sites but neither has a 190 listed... just 180 and 170. I'm in a quandary because I *should* have new tires but do I get the PR2 CT or go for the PR3 without knowing any road reports?

Well we both know that the PR 2CT is an excellent tire so you can't really go wrong with them. I'm just going to bank on the fact that a company with Michelin's reputation is not going to put out an inferior tire. I'm sure the PR3 will be a great tire like the PR2.

Interesting, so THAT's what those grooves are for, water or rain. I'm already not interested have I mentioned it never rains here? :tup: It does look like a cool tire though.

hmm might be a good tyre here in aus, we have had over 200mm of rain in 48 hrs. i have the pr2's on mine and have no complaints. well except that they get too hot and chunk up

hmm might be a good tyre here in aus, we have had over 200mm of rain in 48 hrs. i have the pr2's on mine and have no complaints. well except that they get too hot and chunk up

Well do remember that these are sport-touring and not sport tires. I think for general street riding they are fine unless you really pick up the pace or use them on the track.

I'm confused, I understand that the sport tires are better than sport touring but still, if it has sport in it's name I'm assuming I should be able to really lay into these without problems? Would you mind shedding some light on what "picking up the pace" would mean?:confused: I have used the Conti Road attacks which are supposed to be sport touring and I have leaned into them with no problems so I'm wondering how these would hold up if I tried the same type of ridding with them. I wasn't interested until someone dropped the 15K mile number....now my ears have perked up and my tail's a wagging.

Well do remember that these are sport-touring and not sport tires. I think for general street riding they are fine unless you really pick up the pace or use them on the track.

What IS your ridding style there?

I put a set of PR2s on 15K miles ago. Got great mileage, excellent grip for my riding style, and very predictable feedback and slippage the few times they slid. The rear didn’t start squaring off until 13-14K miles, and the wear bars were showing soon after…Tony can attest to how well they held up. The front still has life left. I’m looking for a new rear and am considering the PR3. Clearly it’s supposed to have better wet grip and longevity than the PR2, but what about dry grip? I see on the Michelin website that the PR3 has the “soft” compound in the center 50% of the front tire, while the PR2 has the soft compound in the center 60%. Does that mean the PR2s are still the more aggressive tire? If so, I’ll take the PR2 at the cheaper price. 15K miles is plenty long enough, and I don’t push my tires to the slipping point in rain anyways…

Also, the graphic showing the bend/give of the PR3 rubber (claiming it helps break up the water tension) makes me nervous. Maybe that’s good in the rain, but it seems like it would cause the tires to act weird when dry.

sipes2.jpg

I'm confused, I understand that the sport tires are better than sport touring but still, if it has sport in it's name I'm assuming I should be able to really lay into these without problems? Would you mind shedding some light on what "picking up the pace" would mean?:confused: I have used the Conti Road attacks which are supposed to be sport touring and I have leaned into them with no problems so I'm wondering how these would hold up if I tried the same type of ridding with them. I wasn't interested until someone dropped the 15K mile number....now my ears have perked up and my tail's a wagging.

I'm sure for the vast majority of street riders these tires would be fine (I know for me they would). I think the issues with them arise if you use them on the track where they will eventually overheat or possibly if you were riding at near track pace on the street for a long time.

And by the way I have seen the rear tire (PR2 CT) that went the 15k miles and Josh wore it pretty evenly all around even though he does a fair amount of commuting with the bike.

I see. Well, the only problem I have is that I bought this bike with the Conti's already on so I have no idea what type of ridding has been done and now that I'm at the 16K mile mark I see I need to replace the rear. I myself have already put a good 8K in 5 months (uh hum, winter months :) I know you guys appreciate that) SO, it is conceivable that the Conti's do have some good mileage as well. I think that if I get a good 10K out of them I'm good. I think I'll take a bullet for the forum here and try the Conti II's for you guys. Will report my findings ;)

Thats great that you are getting that much out of Conti's. They are notorious for low mileage. Just about all of the reviews I have seen have said that they handle great but wear out quick. I am very partial to Michelins though due to the experience with them over the years on my cars. Keep us posted on these Conti's. Sound like you have beaten the odds.

Quick question. Do the PR2's and PR3's have the same compounds? If so, the tread pattern is the only difference, correct? Would an increase in mileage be evident from pr2's to pr3's??

Glad I saw this thread. I now have 11600 on my stock tires, funny thing is since i'm not a knee drager, just the center of my tires is getting close, sides are still good, so if anyone wants to do a couple thousand miles in circles I can send them to you :). I think i will buy the PP2 next week as I've seen good things about it here. Hope I can get 11+K miles out of them too. If those of you that had them don't think it's possible let me know so i can buy OEM

You mean PR2 right, not PP2? I just replaced my PR2 rear 3 weeks ago after almost 14K miles. It was a great tire. I wanted to replace it with a PR3, but due to the long wait and higher price, I just went ahead with a PR2 and couldn't be happier. For the type of riding I do, it really is a great tire for me.

Still looking at the PR2 here since the 190 is still hard to find in a PR3 plus the price of the PR2 is quite stable with some good deals out there. The PR3 is too new to find a bargain on them. I want to hear from riders who have used up a set I guess... maybe the next time around will be the PR3s!

I did find them on two sites but neither has a 190 listed... just 180 and 170. I'm in a quandary because I *should* have new tires but do I get the PR2 CT or go for the PR3 without knowing any road reports?

You should go with what you know. Nobody know yet what these tires will handle like. Of course, someone has to try them to find out. You're right, it is a quandry. I don't know if I want to pay that much for tires you'll hate or just buy the tires we know are great tires. :doh2:

Decisions....decisions.

At over $300 a set, it really seems pointless to invest in them so early in the game when we all know the PR2 is a fantastic tire at much less. Hell, even the original Pilot Powers are great tires and 1/2 the price of the PR3s

I went with the Bridgestone 023's this time around. I had them shipped for $221.00 for the set through Jake Wilson. The 016's were great but I needed something with a harder center for all the commuting I do. The rear is still a triple compound. I'll have a write-up this Spring once I've put some miles on them. I also opted for the Dyna Bead Set for another 12 or so dollars.

I just put a set of 023's on my bike over the weekend. I had three plugs and 9500mi on the original Dunlop’s. The center of the rear tire was sooo squared off from doing my 70mi per day commute. The bike handles so much quicker now with "round" tires. I could hardly ride the bike with the new tires. I felt like a drunken sailor pushing a wheel barrel around. I am interested to see if the mileage is up par. Time will tell. They were just over $300 mounted, balanced, sales tax, excise tax, use tax, and trash tax. Yes, in California you have to pay to throw your tires away! :disturbed

I just put a set of 023's on my bike over the weekend. I had three plugs and 9500mi on the original Dunlop’s. The center of the rear tire was sooo squared off from doing my 70mi per day commute. The bike handles so much quicker now with "round" tires. I could hardly ride the bike with the new tires. I felt like a drunken sailor pushing a wheel barrel around. I am interested to see if the mileage is up par. Time will tell. They were just over $300 mounted, balanced, sales tax, excise tax, use tax, and trash tax. Yes, in California you have to pay to throw your tires away! :disturbed

I believe here in New Hampshire we also have to pay to throw away our tires. That is one LONG commute you have. I would think that a harder compound in the center of the tire is what you need for commutes like that. I don't know a whole lot about the different tires that are on the market so I guess it's time to get educated. :shaking head:

Anybody have any info on these yet? Not even sure if they are available yet, but look intereting. I will be in need of new tires this riding season and I'm thinking about these since the Pilot Road's 2CTare a good tire from everything I've read and feedback I've received from others. One thing is that they are not cheap, but then again tires are not an area I like to skimp on...lol

Competition Accessories has free shipping on them now to boot.

Looked at PR3 last week at our biggest bike tyre shop here in Auckland NZ. I will get a set of them soon cause my front is getting low but I need to do some more burnouts to use up the rear at 11500kms now. PR3 is better in the wet and winter is just around the corner here. PR3 retail here for $700NZ.

Looked at PR3 last week at our biggest bike tyre shop here in Auckland NZ. I will get a set of them soon cause my front is getting low but I need to do some more burnouts to use up the rear at 11500kms now. PR3 is better in the wet and winter is just around the corner here. PR3 retail here for $700NZ.

$700? Can't you just order it from another country?

1 New Zealand dollar = 0.7896 U.S. dollars at the moment which means a set of PR3s from America @ $350 USD is about $450 NZD... $250 less! Hell, you could order a set of BT023s or PR2s for under $350 NZD I'm sure

Back