Mileage

On my first tank of gas I got 35 MPG (6,7 Liters/100 KM) and after that, around 27 MPG (8,6 liters/100 KM). Is 27 MPG normal for normal driving on a Gen II?

On my first tank of gas I got 35 MPG (6,7 Liters/100 KM) and after that, around 27 MPG (8,6 liters/100 KM). Is 27 MPG normal for normal driving on a Gen II?

How hard are you riding? There is alot of variables involved. I believe that the GenII's average about 130-140 miles per tank. There is a thread....
http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-general-discussion/5912-best-full-tank-mileage-ever.html
where you may get a sense of just what kind of mileage you should be getting. Check it out.

How hard are you riding? There is alot of variables involved. I believe that the GenII's average about 130-140 miles per tank. There is a thread....
http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-general-discussion/5912-best-full-tank-mileage-ever.html
where you may get a sense of just what kind of mileage you should be getting. Check it out.

Thanks for the link. I'm commuting to get 27 MPG, it's winter, wet and cold weather over here. I also accelerate a bit now and then, but it's not inspired tempo riding like in the summer.

Mileage on the bike is not good. Smiles/Mile is very good. I generally get 37 MPG and have seen as bad as 30 MPG and as good as 45 MPG. Winter's not a good time to break any mileage records.

Mileage on the bike is not good. Smiles/Mile is very good. I generally get 37 MPG and have seen as bad as 30 MPG and as good as 45 MPG. Winter's not a good time to break any mileage records.

I feel bad for ya Norm. I am experiencing the exact opposite. The last three weeks I have had the most phenominal mileage of the year. And I'm not even conserving! On last Sundays ride we stopped 2/3rds into our trip to gas up. As Tony is my witness, I had gone 150 miles on 3.4 gallons. Thats 44mpg and that was riding on highways where I was averaging between 65 and 70, and also "getting on it" every so often. During the summer had I been riding like that, I would have surely averaged mid-30's without a doubt. I'm having a ball with it. Imagine being able to ride a little more aggressive and still get mid-40's. Thats awesome!

I'm generally right around 39-40 MPG. Once in a while if I am riding the back roads and not getting on it too much I may get up to 42-43 MPG. However, my bike is not stock so I am not sure how much of a difference that makes...

I'd say that 35 is on the low side of average but I often get in the low 40's even if I'm running a constant 70+ on the interstate. If you like to twist the grip, you'll see quite a reduction in MPG. That 130 or so H.P. has to come from somewhere.

I feel bad for ya Norm. I am experiencing the exact opposite.....

But you have a Gen I, right?

I get around 32 mpg. Once on a trip, mostly highway, I averaged 39 mpg.
Oh....I go fast all the time and keep the engine above 6K rpms. I got the bike for performance and I'll be damned if I'm going to fret over MPG. :sport12:

But you have a Gen I, right?

I get around 32 mpg. Once on a trip, mostly highway, I averaged 39 mpg.
Oh....I go fast all the time and keep the engine above 6K rpms. I got the bike for performance and I'll be damned if I'm going to fret over MPG. :sport12:

i'm trying to think like that all the time , but reality keeps waking me up , like today , I got a 400 USD speeding ticket for driving 66 km/h on a 50 km/h stretch :wtf:

Harsh

i'm trying to think like that all the time , but reality keeps waking me up , like today , I got a 400 USD speeding ticket for driving 66 km/h on a 50 km/h stretch :wtf:

Wow that's harsh. What do they do over there if you are 20 kph over. Hard labour or just shoot you !:shame:

Wow that's harsh. What do they do over there if you are 20 kph over. Hard labour or just shoot you !:shame:

Yepp, it's harsh. The new right wing governament brought some changes to the table, doubled fines, to finance some other programs. 20 km/h more than the speed limit would be around 800 USD. In Finland it's based on a percentage of your salary, so the CEO of Nokia got fined something like 100.000 USD for a speeding a couple of years ago.

In Norway you go to prison for 16 days for driving 140 km/h on an 80 km/h stretch. Sick, huh ?

i'm trying to think like that all the time , but reality keeps waking me up , like today , I got a 400 USD speeding ticket for driving 66 km/h on a 50 km/h stretch

Ouch! Yea, I have to pick my spots. I certainly didn't mean to imply I speed when it is unsafe to do so (not implying you do either) or in suspected/ known speed trap roads.
My one experience with Sweden and driving: While in High School, my dad took me with him on a business trip to Sweden. Our host (working for the same company as my Dad) served wine at dinner. I slipped out, after dinner, for a test drive of the rented SAAB. I was scolded and lectured beyond belief upon my return. At that time, if one was stopped for DUI in Sweden, they lost their driver's lic. for LIFE! I took the lecture in stride. I was neither drunk or cared if I lost my right to drive in Sweden. I recall thinking that was awfully severe punishment. Yet, one could rightly argue a car in the hands of a drunk is a loaded weapon.

Last edited:
I recall thinking that was awfully severe punishment. Yet, one could certainly argue a car in the hands of a drunk is a weapon.

haha, what a nice experience you had, and this instead of the Swedish bikini team ! Everything is so dead serious here, and people are so afraid of breaking the law .. it's hilarious. I'm not talking about ignoring law, but there's grey zones. If I need to urinate and I'm besides a tree (maybe not in broad daylight) I'll do it. You can get fined for that here. People look at you like you're a criminal if you drink ONE beer, then drive home. They lack facetts, everything is black or white.
Small stuff like speeding and making your own booze is severely punished here, but crime against children, violent crime, rape, murder, etc, you get off easily.
Strange, but hey, everything can't be perfect.

Even with some of the lows posted I am a little :embarrased: to mention. But I am not crying. I have fun watching the tac needle go right and the fuel needle go left its a cool dash effect.lol

Averaged 34MPG on my bike when it was stock. Mostly aggresive riding. havahaxxor move to Texas I just got a 71 in a 40MPH $291 will take it to court and most likley get to take defensive driving class (again). Then it wont even go on my record.

Averaged 34MPG on my bike when it was stock. Mostly aggresive riding. havahaxxor move to Texas I just got a 71 in a 40MPH $291 will take it to court and most likley get to take defensive driving class (again). Then it wont even go on my record.

haha, that was cheap ! Defensive driving class ? that's a bit like anger management :) The more they tell you to calm down, the angryer you get

Back