Minimum mods & advice for Gen II FZ1

Hey all

Just joined up today, am looking at getting my first "big bike" soon and am falling in love with the FZ1-S.

Have been reading lots of reviews and owners comments on here.

The two main drawbacks with the FZ1 seem to be:

1. Fuelling issue on 2006 model.
Fixable with "Ivan's FCE". Available down under or do I need to import it?

2. Reviews seem to indicate a lack of low to midrange power in 2006-2009 models (improved in 2010?), everything is up in the high revs. I don't plan to ride around at 10000rpm so I want more power down low.
Can this be improved with say a Power Commander? (and maybe a professional dyno tune)
Anything else I should be doing?

I'm looking to spend minimal cash to get a reasonable improvement, I don't need the hottest FZ1 in town.

Can any of you Aussie members (there seems to be a few!) recommend a place in Sydney to fit the mods and do the tuning?

Mike

Hey all

Just joined up today, am looking at getting my first "big bike" soon and am falling in love with the FZ1-S.

2. Reviews seem to indicate a lack of low to midrange power in 2006-2009 models (improved in 2010?), everything is up in the high revs. I don't plan to ride around at 10000rpm so I want more power down low.

e

Welcome to the forum Mike! :welcome:

On #2: You might consider getting a 16T front sprocket to get a little more power down low at the slight expense of some top end. Start with that at about $25 US for a sprocket.

On #2: You might consider getting a 16T front sprocket to get a little more power down low at the slight expense of some top end. Start with that at about $25 US for a sprocket.

Cheers mate!
I assume I would then need to get the speedo and odo adjusted?

Cheers mate!
I assume I would then need to get the speedo and odo adjusted?

Well you don't have to. ;) I recently did this on my bike and will likely buy a speedo healer soon. I do not want my ODO racking up more than it actually is. Someone else can confirm but I think the speedoo healer is around $65 US.

If you want to increase "torque" then two best mods are the 16T front sprocket that has already been mentioned and some sort of slip-on exhaust. A full exhaust such as the Yosh R-77 would increase mid-range torque even more, but that's not a "cheap" upgrade.

Hey Mike - Have you ever ridden a 1000cc bike before? Because there is plenty of power. If you want to ride bike with low end try an '08 R6.

Since when have R6's had any low end? They need to be revved real hard.
You must mean R1?? Better still ride a K6 Gixxer thou, way more low end than FZ1.

Your first mod should be to get a 16T front spocket, it helps a lot as the FZ1 is geared very tall.
The 2001-2005 FZ1 1st Gen FZ1 comes with a 16T front sprocket standard. They cost around $35-40 from Yamaha Australia. They are quieter than after market due to the rubber dampener on them.

Last edited:
Slip-on, de-cat, filter, airbox mod & gearing 16/46 or 47. Mikey you will be as excited as a little school girl with all the low-mid range power.

If you think you need more TQ than the FZ1 has, you need a Triumph Rocket III. The FZ1 has enough power to scare you so I wouldn't make any presumptions about lack of power till you've had the opportunity to throw a leg over one and give the throttle a twist.

If you think you need more TQ than the FZ1 has, you need a Triumph Rocket III. The FZ1 has enough power to scare you so I wouldn't make any presumptions about lack of power till you've had the opportunity to throw a leg over one and give the throttle a twist.

True that brother! I am brand new at motorcycling and decided to take the plunge and skip the starter bikes all together so I got an FZ1...I did take the Basic Rider's course with the little 250's. Let's just say hitting the throttle on an FZ1 is a bit different than the 250, good thing I had a good grip :)

Since when have R6's had any low end? They need to be revved real hard.
You must mean R1?? Better still ride a K6 Gixxer thou, way more low end than FZ1.

Your first mod should be to get a 16T front spocket, it helps a lot as the FZ1 is geared very tall.
The 2001-2005 FZ1 1st Gen FZ1 comes with a 16T front sprocket standard. They cost around $35-40 from Yamaha Australia. They are quieter than after market due to the rubber dampener on them.

Errr..."no low" end. What's two letters between friends???

True that brother! I am brand new at motorcycling and decided to take the plunge and skip the starter bikes all together so I got an FZ1...I did take the Basic Rider's course with the little 250's. Let's just say hitting the throttle on an FZ1 is a bit different than the 250, good thing I had a good grip :)

Don't become a statistic mate, it's all in the right wrist, treat the bike with respect & you will be ok.

Gday Mikec,

I have an 06 , done the airbox mod,K & N filter ,blocked the AIS, and have a bloody magnificent titanium Two Brothers Can, it does have the fueling problem but will fix that with Ivan's or a PC3-4 , but will get to that can ride around it a bit,

Beleive me it has got heaps of useable sweet grunt and ridden well will keep a lot of sports bikes VERY honest,

Do the cheap easy mods first, like i have and you will not beleive how much the bike changes for the better, it really is a gem of a bike , Also chuck some sticky tyres at it and it will reward even better , currently i have Sportmax 2 on it, makes it a good jigger better . Got 7 k out of last rear .

This is a real world bike that wil deliver,

I highly recommend you ride it for awhile first, Then make decisions as to what you feel you need.
In the beginning there is PLENTY of power. But then, I've done the 16T sprocket, air box mod, after market exhaust, K&N filter, fly mod, velocity stacks......on and on....it's Addicting. :)

After re-reading the first post and then the posts by romr I want to change my advise :)
As this is your first big bike I would recommend riding the bike for at least 6 months before you attempt any mods. The bike is plenty fast enough stock, especially if your new to riding or it's your first 1000 cc bike.
I sometimes forget that not everyone is as experienced as myself (or other experienced riders on this forum) and tend to give advise that's applicable to my experience level.

After re-reading the first post and then the posts by romr I want to change my advise :)
As this is your first big bike I would recommend riding the bike for at least 6 months before you attempt any mods. The bike is plenty fast enough stock, especially if your new to riding or it's your first 1000 cc bike.
I sometimes forget that not everyone is as experienced as myself (or other experienced riders on this forum) and tend to give advise that's applicable to my experience level.

Good advice!

Thanks folks, I'm getting the gist of it...

No purchases made yet. Yes, I am certainly inclined to get comfortable with the bike before messing with it. But it's good to know options are there for improvement.

I have just spend my hard-earned cash on another big boys toy, new bike might have to wait a couple of months... oops.

Old thread I know, but I am new to the FZ1 and wondering much of the same questions. Does the 16T sprocket mod affect the gas mileage significantly? Those that have made the change, what kind of MPG impact did you see? Thanks

Back