Mix of FZ1n and FZ1 Fazer...

Hi guys,

I'm still looking for a bike. To be honest neither FZ is perfect for me.

What I really want is the naked front end and the rear end from the Fazer so my wife is comfy.

Im trying to work out which is cheaper. My choices are:

a) Buy a Fazer and a Euro Conversion kit from the USA (if it fits a UK bike..)
b) Buy a FZ1n and source a rear end from a Fazer.

I'm not sure which will work out cheaper really. I think probably the Fazer with the conversion kit.

Are there any other differences in the bikes that make this approach worth it?

I'm probably looking at about $800 by the time I've paid import taxes and shipping, maybe more so its quite a big investment but if I cant find the ideal bike off the shelf, I'll damn well build one :D

Anyone who has such a blended bike have any input on this? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

If you could find another rider interested, you could get the N and swap the whole tail with the Fazer owner? Then there's no additional costs involved. I know if I were close and didn't have custom seats, I'd be interested in a swap! Maybe someone else is just as interested so ask around. Seek the Fazer owners and talk to them. :tup:

As far as pricing, I think it would be cheaper to get the Fazer and then install the N headlight assembly. The tail section conversion, without a donor bike, is a bit extensive and quite a bit more pricey if you have to buy all the pieces.

Cheers Cobalt!

Maybe someone from here spots this and is interested. Can ship to the USA even. Theres taxes involved but it would still work out cheaper than sourcing all the bits!

I dont even have a bike yet but if someone is interested in a swap, then I'll find one knowing that I have a plan!

Just had another thought too. Has anyone posted a full parts list for the conversion kit? Its possible I can source the necessary bits individually from a breakers or similar.

Who knows, it might work out much cheaper than buying those kits from the US.

I wonder if the part numbers differ from the US to UK.

Thanks for the leads guys.

Its two things, the Fazer seat is more comfy and angled better for a pillion and also the grab handles.

I'm going to research further and see if I can get a back end from a breaker.

I did just what you are talking about. It worked out very expensive to buy all of the parts new so I ended up buying all of the part right here. Although the two look similar there are a lot of differences. I may be interested in selling mine as my wife is not interested in riding on the back. As you mentioned there is much more room on the FZ1S rear. I also have a Corbin seat with the backrest, as well as the standard S seat.

001rcd.jpg

Just a thought...

Am usually wrong, but are the parts you are looking for just the bit with the handles on and the seat? if thats the case, all the people that have bought the retro kit should have the bit with the handles spare, and if anyone has bought, say a Top Sellerie seat and has bought it outright, they should have a spare seat too...
Just a thought...

Hi guys thanks for all the responses.

I've finally chosen a bike. I need to go and inspect it on Tuesday/Wednesday but looking at the pictures and from what the guy is saying should be fine. Its a mint condition 2008 black FZ1n with 5k on it and ABS to boot.

Bit nervous about condition now but if its mint I think I've got a superb deal on it. £4300 which is about £1300-1500 below the closest match from the cheapest dealer in a nationwide search. It was such a good deal I've had to be extra cautious to make sure it wasnt a scam but I've checked the seller out (background and such) and it all seems legit. Happy days.

So since I've got the naked, I guess I'll be looking for the Fazer back end. At least sourcing the parts for now and fitting it over winter.

supersonic, how did you identify the parts needed to do the conversion? I think shipping from Australia might be prohibitive so I may need to source the bits in the UK or possibly USA. Everything I guess right down to the last nut and bolt. When I've got the bike I'll put something in the wanted section.

I've decided a swap might not be a great idea because I think it would murder the resale value of the bike. In the UK nobody wants anything that isnt standard unless you're willing to discount a lot.

Hi guys thanks for all the responses.

I've finally chosen a bike. I need to go and inspect it on Tuesday/Wednesday but looking at the pictures and from what the guy is saying should be fine. Its a mint condition 2008 black FZ1n with 5k on it and ABS to boot.

Bit nervous about condition now but if its mint I think I've got a superb deal on it. £4300 which is about £1300-1500 below the closest match from the cheapest dealer in a nationwide search. It was such a good deal I've had to be extra cautious to make sure it wasnt a scam but I've checked the seller out (background and such) and it all seems legit. Happy days.

So since I've got the naked, I guess I'll be looking for the Fazer back end. At least sourcing the parts for now and fitting it over winter.

supersonic, how did you identify the parts needed to do the conversion? I think shipping from Australia might be prohibitive so I may need to source the bits in the UK or possibly USA. Everything I guess right down to the last nut and bolt. When I've got the bike I'll put something in the wanted section.

I've decided a swap might not be a great idea because I think it would murder the resale value of the bike. In the UK nobody wants anything that isnt standard unless you're willing to discount a lot.

I bought the complete kit from a guy in the UK who had done the reverse, he installed a Naked rear end onto his "S".
There are a lot of parts needed, ater researching myself I found this to be the most cost effective way to do the conversion. I did get a parts printout from my Yamaha dealer, so if you study that you can get an idea of what you need.

Someone on one of the forums makes some pretty nice handles for the rear of the N model.

hello, i am the 'someone' that make the handles for the fz1n. For my opinion is much expensive to change the tail of your fz1n (infact i have created the handle:) ) and for the seat the difference for confort is little, are you sure to doing this work?

Back