MOAB (Mother Of All Biketrips) Utah

Day 5 – Godfathers, Wash Roads and Moab!

Morning for me always seems to come a bit earlier than anyone I have ever traveled with and today was no exception. I wandered over to the shower house and had a leisurely, hot (free) shower and got suited up in the hot weather gear for a change. I suspected that today the heat would play a part. The bluffs were a little too far away to make any remarkable morning pictures so I shot a few of the campsite and made coffee with the Jet Boil. The rest of the guys were now stirring as we had planned to go into Price and search out breakfast before Chris’s 11:00 appointment to get the DR new chain and sprockets. This of course was dependant on the Brown Santa Truck from Salt Lake City being on time.

As mornings go we were all up early and packed up fairly quickly, so we set off in search of food, 15 miles north into Price. We passed under 191 and followed the GPS to the main drag in Price. After running all the way through the downtown without seeing anything promising, I was a little concerned we might have to settle for a fast food outlet. Just as that was crossing my mind I spotted a promising looking Café and wheeled across the street to its lot. Paul commented that he was thinking, “not the McDonalds!” since it was right across the street. The food and scenery in the restaurant did not disappoint, plus they had Wifi. The guys proceeded to do the dysfunctional-tech-family-meal-thing, (everyone stare at their electronics while absently mindedly poking at their food). Afterward we cruised back to meet the Godfather of Price, Tony Basso. He must have been have a new gold tooth put in, or perhaps delivering a horse head, and was no were to be seen. His stoolies (I jest) at the bike shop were very helpful and very accommodating while we hung out waiting the Brown shorts guy to arrive. The sun was quickly baking the earth and everything else outside while the hours ticked by. We took over the staff table at the back of the store and tried not to make too much of a nuisance of ourselves. Eventually the news we had all been waiting for came, and the parts arrived. The shop guys were quick to get the job done and we eagerly suited back up for the run to Moab!

One more time, we headed south on hwy 10 past our previous night’s camp spot to Castledale where I hooked up with my gps track and onto Green River cutoff road, headed east.

IMG_0083.jpg

P1020541.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

This was a fairly wide, well traveled gravel road at first but I was glad to have done the track up as there were numerous places to turn off along the way. It was hot and dusty with a nearly cloudless sky. The road narrowed and began to twist through washes and up and down over bluffs. Eventually it came to a fork that said we would be continuing on Chimney Rock road, and this is what my gps had routed, so off we went. We of course took a few pictures along the way.

P1020534.jpg

A really nice, narrow, twisting canyon was the highlight before hooking up with 191 again, not far north of I-70 and Green River. We were a bit behind schedule so I opted to ignore my track routing and blast east on I-70 for about 20 minutes until a small wash road that I had found on one of the maps that cut off the corner between I-70 and where 191 went south to Moab. It was blazing hot by this point and zipping along the Interstate was a relief for the bikes cooling systems. When I got to the spot where my track led onto the wash road things got interesting.

I pulled off I-70, following the track I had laid down only to find it veered left, into what looked like an old parking lot beside the main road. The road going south looked good, but the sign said the name didn’t jive with what I had intended. While the guys waited I did recon, figuring “what the hell, I’ll just follow my track exactly. Low and behold I found the faint dual tracks at the northeast corner of the lot, so I continued and they became more defined. I waved the guys over and they eventually figured out what I wanted. The “road” was nothing more than 2 tire tracks leading off into endless desert, but we discovered even this can be fun. About 5 times along the way we dropped into “washes” that were very deep cuts with steep approaches and exits and very loose at the bottom. You could not hit the bottom fast or you would bottom out and maybe flip over, but you also had to gas it to climb out. All this, with fully loaded bikes and this being a new skill, learned on the fly for all of us.

It is funny how having no choice increases the ability to quickly learn a new skill and all the guys made it through without a spill. At the east end, just before re-joining pavement on 191 we came upon a watering station surrounded by a lot of Cattle. The road widened out at this point, crossed a cattle gate and hit the highway. We were getting very close to our check in time in Moab and so I again opted to just burn pavement, south on 191 after consulting the guys. A short stop for construction north of Moab and we rolled down into the valley just north of the river and the junction of 191 and 128 and Moab Valley RV and Campground.

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

Our objective finally realized, we rolled into the parking lot with a sense of accomplishment, and for me at least a renewed energy. After checking in with the lovely ladies at the front desk we set up camp after getting out of the overly hot riding gear. We were starting to get into tourist mode, knowing we would not have to break camp the next morning. Later that evening we headed into town to the “Blu Pig” to enjoy a BarBQ and blues joint that came recommended. It would not dissapoint!

IMG_0090.jpg

Sporting the FZ forum shirt.
IMG_0089.jpg

more tomorrow....

Last edited:
Day 6 – Ignorance is bliss

Before the trip I had done extensive research on Moab, on everything from Campgrounds to gpx tracks (of course) to bike shops along the way to restaurants and it all paid off.
IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

The following morning we went into town for breakfast with a plan to go do Arches and have an easy day for a change. Paul the BMW pilot had to head out the following day and had a list that he wanted to see that did not really work with our list of must-dos. He and I discussed this and he planned to head out (south) after breakfast the next day.
IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

This morning however we were off to the Love Muffin, a source of endless jokes, some of which might have been work safe (but I doubt it). By happenstance (or by plan) the ladies at the Love Muffin were easy on the eyes, and we would, by weeks end become regulars. The food was great, reasonably priced and not your (Denny’s) run-of-the-mill. As a HUGE bonus the coffee was excellent (I almost felt like posing out front) and I discovered (the second time we visited), free refills, in generous sized mugs. The Edge Gallery that Brett on ADV owns is right next-door but despite my efforts I just never made it in during business hours (next time I promise).

While we were sitting having breakfast another ADV rider (sorry I can’t remember your name) pulled up beside the bikes parked across the street. He wasn’t hard to spot, nor shy, and came over to chat when he came in. He was with a KLR Forum group that Hondo from ADV was with over at Canyonlands Campground right in town. He pulled out the maps and we discussed a few good runs around the area. He and Paul eventually walked over to the bikes and compared notes on KLRs. It was going to be a hot day and we got going out fairly early despite our leisurely start armed with full hydration packs.
IMG_0106.jpg

Arches National park came first and we all had cameras and GoPros rolling. We trolled along with the rest of the rubbernecking tourists and pulled in to take pictures at all but one turn off (more on the later). Eventually we reached the Parking area for “Delicate Arch” and it was a little way from the parking lot. After squeezing all four bikes into the only available spot in the lot we (in full gear minus our helmets) went on a little hike. How far could it be, probably said on the sign, did you read it, no, neither did I…. After a about ten minutes of hiking and one small detour, I asked a guy in his 60s that just came back from the Arch, “Oh your about… half way”. You gotta’ be shittin’ me I thought, my reply to the senior was far more civilized. “Well guys”, I said, “I’m turning around, I can’t do this, in this heat, but you go ahead” They to, turned around. When I got back to the parking lot a woman, trailing a few young kids said, “you look like a power ranger”. I replied, “that’s a first, usually I get, Storm Trooper; these are not the droids we’re looking for, move along.” The young boys grinned. Once we were all back we drove further down the side road to where the viewpoint for the Arch was, duh! I must pay more attention to signs. I must pay more attention to signs. I must pay more attention to signs. Oh well, I probably lost a pound (or two) hiking pointlessly. After a picture we moved along.
IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

We carried on until we ran out of pavement at the north end of the park, but I had spotted a white gravel road that was part of my initial track into Moab from the north, not far back. Paul (BMW) told me he had a few things that he wanted to see yet today (since his time in Moab was limited) so he continued on back along the pavement. Chris, Paul (KLR) and myself (still packing the side bags) hit the gravel toward Klondike Bluffs.

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

Washboard for miles and miles, powdery sand in white, yellow and red was the order (of the day) for the next hour or so. At the Bluffs we watched a couple of lizards run around and Paul tried to get a picture of one, not sure how that worked out. Then we headed back in the roasting heat. The road would have been a lot of fun if the incessant washboard weren’t trying to shake our bikes apart and loosen fillings. Slow down, what! Then back to the tourist parade back out of the park.

IMG_0103.jpg

We went in to the campground and hit the pool for a while before getting cleaned up and heading to town for Dinner at the nice little Mexican joint called La Hacienda (I think) at the north end of town on the east side of the highway. Somewhere in between I think we hit a grocery store and the liquor store where Chris picked up a nice bottle of Bourbon.We also went to Arrowhead Motorsports so Paul could get a new front tire for the KLR and while there met a rather manic; "Jettin Jim."
IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

By the time we got back Paul (BMW) had returned from his explorations and it was getting dark. Sometime while we were gone another KLR (1st gen) rider from Nevada had joined the Campers in the spot just across the way from ours. As it got dark I could see that he was sitting at the picnic table by himself without so much as a light. Me being shy and introverted walked over and introduced myself and invited Wayne over for a drink. He told me that he had been having a drink on the sly (not wanting to offend anyone). “Hell” I said, “you’ll have to work harder than that to offend us, comon’ over”. He did, and seemed quickly at ease.
We sat around our LED lantern (since a campfire was verboten, unless it’s charcoal, and who wants to sit around that?) and had a few drinks before calling it a day.

I had not turned on my phone for two days and was blissfully unaware that my sister had died that afternoon, and that my family was trying to reach me. I would go through the next day into the evening before I knew.

Day 7- A celebration of life and beauty, a mourning of death

This would be the morning that Pawel would break camp and head south after Breakfast. It was also the morning we would try for a quick breakfast at the nearby Denny’s. That would be what decided that the Love Muffin would be or spot for the rest of the trip for breakfast. Paul slept in a bit and told us he would meet us over at Denny’s, so we headed over. After well wishes we parted company with Pawel and each headed in opposite directions. The now, group of three turned east down highway128 with Onion Creek road as our first objective.
IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

This road had been featured in the UTBCDR video and looked great with at least a dozen creek crossings as it weaved from side to side in the narrow canyon. The road itself was easy, but amazingly picturesque in the early morning light. The stream crossings easy as well as they were all very shallow. Eventually the road climbed up out of the canyon and ended at a junction turning east onto Thompson Canyon road.

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

just after the hill trenching, Paul cleaning his glasses.

This was a bit more challenging and had some very loose hill climbs as well as short sections of very sandy trail. The big KTM dug herself in for a moment on one loose uphill corner. Chris had to go around and Paul stopped behind me while I powered up the hill. At the top I came around the corner to see Chris running back with camera in hand. Sorry buddy no carnage this time, other than maybe some stone chips on Paul’s bike from my trenching. The sand was a bit of a challenge at times but the scenery was awesome! I stopped to check the Moab East map that I had picked up at the visitor center the day before since I had no gps track for this one. Eventually we climbed into the La Sal mountains and the views from up top were like nothing we had experienced yet and we were all in awe of the majesty of this place.
IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

This was truly living, and it was good. The map eventually led us onto a snaking piece of pavement called the La Sal Mountain loop road and we followed it, enjoying everything but the plentiful tar snakes. In time we dropped down to Spanish Valley road that took us parallel to 191 north into Moab. It was truly blisteringly hot as we came into town. I led us to Milts drive in, but we all felt the need for air conditioning by this point and headed to the Moab Diner instead. It was not to disappoint and had a funky 50’s feel, I’d go back. Once again research paid off. The rest of the day was spent around town and back at the campground in the pool.

Once in a while I remember to relax, and this was when I decided to fire up the phone and check my messages. My heart sank as I read the first message from my wife and I had this weird feeling that my chest was crushing in on my lungs. I didn’t know what to do, but managed to sound (hopefully) less shocked than I felt when I called home. A sick feeling of horror (for what my parents had been, and were going through) cascaded over me. I sat on the next campsite’s table head in hands, not sure how to go forward. My wife had told me the funeral was on the following Saturday, and right there I knew I had to make it, all other considerations were secondary. It was too late to call my parents so that would have to wait, even though I knew sleep would be a scarce commodity for them. I still had no idea what to say, and in honesty I still don’t. Just keeping from breaking down on the phone would be hard. It took all that I could muster to put on a somewhat normal appearance for the guys. I know they would understand but I have always had a hard time showing what I am feeling. Letting people in is not my strong suit, so this is rarity, me baring my soul. Maybe that is Deborah’s legacy to me. We were not as close as maybe we should have been, but I miss you dearly. May your soul be soaring free.

[video=youtube;gO3tFeCKoQM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO3tFeCKoQM[/video]

Last edited:
Craters of The Moon part 1 video

[video=youtube;HWbOQU24pYo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWbOQU24pYo[/video]

Boring but the videos do get better.

Last edited:
Day 8 – White Rim, with a lot of help from my friends! (part 1)

Sleep didn’t come easy and I was feeling drained emotionally right from the start. I did my best to be stoic and present a brave face, but behind blue eyes.

We made another very early start as we had a lot of ground to cover with a plan to do all of White Rim Trail today. It was cloudy for the first time in Moab (our trip) and it would be a Godsend in the heat of the day.

TheLoveMuffin.jpg

We were actually out front when the ladies of the Love Muffin unlatched the door and greeted us with smiles. Another amazing breakfast and great coffee started the day in the right direction and we raced north to the Canyon lands turnoff (hwy 313). We elected to stay on pavement until Horse thief /Mineral Bottom road, electing to do WRT counter clockwise. This road is unremarkable and allows a fast way to the Mineral Bottom switchbacks, taking you down to the river and (for us) the start of White Rim Trail. These as we found out pale in comparison to the Shaffer Switchbacks, but it was our first taste and it was spectacular. Almost immediately we started getting into the fine powder-like “sand” of WRT and passed a jeep crawling along on its huge tires leaving a large dust cloud in its wake. The trail then clawed its way along a cliff face beside the river and we were in our glory, stopping to take pictures like any first timers on WRT. Traffic was light and we didn’t hold anyone up.
IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

I had been warned that there was a “quarter mile of deep sand down by the river, other than that its good”. This was a slight understatement, I think and I am sure I put a lot more miles on the motor (if not the odometer) spinning and roosting my way through the sulfur colored powder, but I did it without crashing and it was kinda’ cool.

One thing about the White Rim Trail, or any other trail around Moab; it requires FULL concentration and commitment with very little room for error. This helped keep my mind off our family tragedy, to some extent at least. It was always there but I had to force it back to the shadows in order to do the task at hand. The sand sections (and I say sections) were numerous, and I suspect they added up to far more than a mile, if you include my nemesis, Hardscrabble Hill. After passing a group of young kids on bicycles and their support trucks in another sandy section, we stopped by two pick up trucks sitting on a rocky plateau. They to, were more support vehicles, for what turned out to be a large Boy Scout Troop. One of the guys warned Chris and Paul about the “deep sand” on the hill and to “stay to the left, or center” near the top. I didn’t get the memo as I was already on my way up, and found this out by experience as my front wheel sank and the rear dug itself to the swing arm trying to push through and up the steepest part just before a sharp right turn. I got off the dug in bike and managed to work the bike out of the trench before the cavalry arrived. They helped walk the bike down and after a failed attempt or two to get any forward momentum, I was spent. Maybe my lack of fitness (comparatively) or emotional state, or the heat (I suspect all played their part, in concert) but I was ready to turn around.

Hardscrabblehill.jpg

With a bit of help (from Paul and me) Chris made it up the worst of the hill and trekked back down to assist Paul and I. The KLR was next and Paul disappeared in a cloud of dust that we were choking on. We bailed back down the hill. Once clear of the cloud, we could still hear the thumper churning away but could not tell if Paul was making any progress. Chris commented about “Nuclear Testing on the White Rim” and we both laughed. The exertion had me on my knees though, at the side of the trail, thinking I was going to puke, and I felt all shaky. Paul hiked down from the flat spot at the top having successfully clawed his way up the hill. We had backed the 990 down the hill to where Chris and Paul had stopped to help me initially, in order to let me have a shot at some speed, past where the hill first beat me. My first attempt required all three of us to lift the KTM off me after getting sideways and (my leg not being long enough to hit ground) flopping over. The second attempt was even worse and at a bit more speed, but third time was the charm and with constant encouragement from Chris and Paul I made it to the top and around the corner. They are probably still coughing up sand, and my rear tire will never be the same! Thanks guys for not letting me quit, I really thought I was done on that hill.

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

That would prove to be the only real tough challenge for me on White Rim Trail and after that I was feeling better (after a long hydration break and a snack). If it had been bright sunshine I am not sure the same end result would have occurred. Half a mile later we met another rider on a fully loaded GSA, and lucky for him he was going to go down on that little sand chute. After a short chat we all carried on and the trail had a nice variety of sand, gravel, hard sandstone and loose chunky hills.

DragononWRT.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

BootcheckonWRT.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

At one point just before Hog’s Back Hill we met a group of older guys doing the trail on mountain bikes. They were relaxing and waiting for their (wife driven) support truck which arrived right after we carried on. As I rode over the hard rock steps past a group of reclining bikers (standing on the pegs and slowly climbing over the rocks) I heard one exclaim “holy crap”, perhaps at the size of the bike, but I am not sure. Just past them I dropped into a shallow sandy section so I put on a show and did a nice long roost.

Hog’s Back was very steep and narrow and did a 90 degree turn about halfway up before ducking under a rock shelf on the second half of the climb. I almost had too much throttle getting to the corner but managed to chop the speed at the right moment. It was a long way down otherwise, and better not to think about it. Chris and I agreed that going up Hogs Back was easier than (we figured) going down was. We had an audience at the top watching us do our thing.

To be continued…..

Day 8 – White Rim Trail, run dry & Go Pro MIA (Part 2)

“That was it?...can’t be, that was too easy,… It showed a DD on the map!” Is what we were thinking after we got to the top of Hog’s Back and past the group of Mountain Bikers Watching us. Hard Scrabble Hill had been much worse. It may like a few spots depend on whether you are going up or down. The clouds were lightening and the heat was coming on strong by this point. We stopped often to hydrate and had snacks like beef jerky and peanuts along for protein to keep our energy up and it worked. Back at the sandy little hill called “Hardscrabble Paul had pulled out an overheated Eatmore bar and that had been a disgusting mess that Chris and I had poked fun at. The Jerky and peanuts at least looked no worse for wear in the heat. Jerky looks like road kill no matter what, but is easy to pack and full of protein and electrolytes.

By my best figuring and the GPS track, I figured we had another hour to go before Shafer switchbacks and back up onto pavement to Moab. We however were running low on water already but figured we should be fine, despite the heat. Each of us had packed 3 liters, Chris and I in our Hydration packs and Paul between his pack and carrying bottles. Days earlier we had figured 5 liters each for this undertaking but had somehow forgotten. We were still finding places to stop and take pictures like newbies (hey we were) and somewhere on this last section Paul lost his Go Pro camera (with all the footage shot thus far on the trip still on the memory card) He didn’t realize this until close to where White rim intersects Shafer road before heading up the switchbacks. He suggested going back to look for it, but without any remaining water supplies and getting low on fuel it would have ended badly. His camera had been in a pocket on his backpack that was bungeed on top of his spare fuel container. Somehow the pocket came unzipped and a couple of empty bottles along with the camera had worked free and ended up back on the trail somewhere. It would have been like a needle in a haystack and I think Paul knew that.

Since the trail was straight forward and easy to spot I ran sweep until the junction of Shafer road where the guys stopped to be sure which way to go. I motioned straight ahead to them just as a couple of vehicles approached having just descended the switchbacks. The first was a black jeep with a load of young kids in the back, and I motioned him to stop. I told the driver about Paul’s camera just as a Park Ranger on a Yamaha WR 250 pulled alongside, so I told him about it as well. I explained that even if the camera was broken when found, we would really like the memory card back, and where we were staying. I then carried on, chasing Paul and Chris up the switchbacks that were in the shade by this time of day. Shafer switchbacks always make it into Moab ride reports and now I know why. They are a truly awesome ride. Shafer is made up of steep straight sections with loose, off camber corners, and a view that is not for those scared of heights. This is another example of very little room for error and I’m sure that is part of the attraction. From just about any corner you can look back down on anyone following you, and realize just how quickly you gain elevation. We were getting overheated, were out of water and the day was slipping away so once on top we booked it for camp. Just about the time I connected with hwy 313 and not long after the turnoff for Dead Horse Point my fuel reserve light came on. I wasn’t sure that I would make it but carried on and was 40 km into reserve (a new record) when we got to camp.

The plan had been to hit the Blu Pig after doing White Rim and that was still on, but gas up was going to happen first. The last time we went to the Blu Pig the food and service were awesome. I had the brisket and it was smoky- melt- in- your- mouth great! Chris wanted to try it this time. When we got there, the house blues guy was playing a set so we opted to sit in the lounge instead of the restaurant side. The hostess told me “Brad will be your server” and took us to a table. Apparently “Brad” didn’t get the memo and we sat ignored for what seemed like an eternity without so much as a jug of water. I needed the washroom so I strolled past the reception and said to the Hostess “Does Brad realize he is our server?” She responded with a look of horror, “What, he hasn’t been over?!” By the time I washed up and returned, Brad was taking drink and appetizer orders. He said “I’ll take your main food orders when I bring out the appetizer; they are really fast here since the food slow smokes all day”. Absent Minded Brad then forgot 2 out of 3 drinks and was gone so fast that he forgot all about our dinner orders to. I had to grab him (while he wandered by in a daze) to take our order. He was very apologetic and this time the food did come quickly. The brisket must have run out a bit earlier and the one that Chris had had not been on the smoker nearly long enough and as such was very disappointing. My Voodoo Chicken was awesome.

Then I actually had to go into the kitchen to find Brad to pay up since he had disappeared again. Just when we were about to leave in came Jettin’ Jim and the KLR crew. We ended up drowning out the poor Blues guy (or maybe his set was done) but he gave up and left, sorry. We managed to finally get away and head back to camp, very much done for the day.

Last edited:
Day 9 – Were no Chickens, Hurrah

Over our extended dinner the night before we discussed that maybe an easier (read shorter) day tomorrow would be nice. A run down Kane Creek road and out over Hurrah Pass and out to Chicken Corners seemed to fit the bill. That morning after our daily trek to see the Muffin ladies we followed the gpx track that I had found on ADV. First I had to guide us through town out along Kane Creek road. This was a nice picturesque run along the river with plenty of spots to camp along the way ( I noted). We stopped by a funky brick rest area built against the hillside to lube the chains as we always did every morning once we warmed them up. The road soon graveled out and dropped into a deep narrow valley. The road ran across one tight paved switchback and along a huge rock wall. It wasn’t long before we found the sign (and my gps track was spot on) for Chicken corner.

June4-1.jpg

First we climbed and twisted our way up Hurrah Pass. The trail was a decent width but had lots of rock steps and sharp turn over these steps and we had to pay attention. Just before the summit of the pass I came around a corner and to my right on a nice flat rock shelf was a Ford Fusion. I started laughing and later said to the guys “don’t get that in the shots, we’ll look like pussies”check for rental plates”. When I got back from the trip I told my boss, whose wife drives one, “don’t ever get rid of that car, they are the toughest cars on the planet!” Seriously, I think Ford must have brought it up there with a chopper, it looked too clean and I really don’t think that it would have had the ground clearance to get there by itself. If it did then I would not want to see the underside of the car afterward.

IMG_0034.jpg

From the Summit we could see something across the river valley near the Potash drying ponds. I broke out the 300mm lens, and had a look. It was a movie crew, and I could see a chopper, crew trailers and equipment trucks parked beside Shafer road. We would have to get a closer look in a day or two. We talked to a guy in a 4X4 pickup that was heading for Lockhart Basin road, and he was running ahead of us. He said he would pull over when we caught him. We lingered at the summit and took in the view for a while and never did catch up to him before the corner to Chicken. Along the way we encountered some deep, but short sand sections and I managed to surf my face into one deep pocket. Sand is so soft to Crash in, I like it! Thanks again to Paul for helping pick up the 990, you are getting good at it.

In one spot not far from the actual corner the trail becomes a bit hard to spot and I took a more rocky approach with large steps than Chris or Paul did (they stayed in the sand trough) but although stalling twice on the incline, didn’t crash (gold star for me, I tried).

ChickenSign.jpg

ChickencornersLochartBasinroad.jpg

It was a cooker this day and we would go through a lot of water and sunscreen (it mixes well with sand, who needs a loufa). We met a group of Quads at the Chicken, Lockhart Basin turnoff, and Chris talked to them briefly asking about the trail. They had told him,” If you made it this far the rest is easy”, Cool! Onward we went and Chicken corner was a bit anticlimactic but still very nice. We carried on past the point toward the trails end. I stopped to take a picture and heard a funny noise so I opened the fuel caps. This was a stupid thing to do in the blazing heat and I was sprayed with boiling fuel, good thing I don’t smoke (Ghost rider anyone?)

OutpastChickenCorner.jpg

TheViewfromChickenCorner.jpg

DragonrelaxingintheshadeofChickenCorner.jpg

I decided that I would get back to the corner where shade could be found and be ready for the guys and a picture shoot. I knew that they had very little trail left ahead of them by the gps track anyway. It was so hot the fuel stink went away quickly and the 990 with her boiling fuel was safely parked in the shade to cool down. What the hell did the desert racers do with these bikes if the fuel boils so easily? I even insulated the inner sides of both tanks before this trip to prevent this. Thankfully this would be the only day of the trip that I would have this issue.

After getting to the end of the trail the guys came back to the “Corner” and I took some action shots to prove they were no chickens. It really would be a bad place to run wide unless you were sporting a parachute. The guys after the photo-shoot relaxed in the welcome shade of the rocks as the quaders they had met at the trail’s end trundled by.

ChrisatChickenCorner.jpg

PaulatChickenCorner.jpg

PaulsnoChicken.jpg

PaulvsChicken.jpg

ConqueringChickenCorner.jpg

KLRandDRatChicken.jpg

IntheshadeofChickenCorner.jpg

PauldiscussesChickenCorner.jpg

Having again achieved our objective we headed back. The sand was fairly easy going back across, I guess I am learning how to sand surf a little at a time. As we weaved along the rock face (just before the summit of Hurrah) I was filming the guys and running sweep as such. We were following around a small slash Canyon and as I took a sharp right around a rock outcropping I had to climb a 10 inch step. I was standing on the pegs and leaned over to the right, my front wheel went up and over the step and as the rear tire hit the step and started up, I found myself on the ground under the bike (AGAIN). Paul was right, “Gravity is fast!” I hit the kill switch and started honking the horn. Paul and Chris were around the tip of the slash canyon and right across from me. I saw Chris look over and stop. He had heard the horn. Paul was just a head of him and around the next corner by then so he had no idea. By the time Chris got back to me I was up but just couldn’t quite lift the big orange beast myself (especially with the hydration pack getting in the way) so he helped pick her up. We took refuge in the shade 50 feet up the trail for a minute and caught our breath. We met Paul at Hurrah Summit a few minutes later and explained what happened. The best I can figure is the rock step jogged my side stand and killed the engine mid corner. I must override that “safety” feature before it becomes a big problem one day!

Afterthefall.jpg

The road back was just as much fun and we had a relaxing day at poolside when we returned.

[video=youtube;2HnDOe8YOVA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HnDOe8YOVA[/video]

LongCanyonUtah.jpg

To continue.....

Last edited:
Day 10 – Got Puckered, and a little Astrology lesson

Today Paul had relatives coming in from Grande Junction Colorado to meet up and take him for dinner. As such we all agreed to try and do something that would get us back early. Chris and I would go into town on our own after we got back and do some “touristing around” and find our own dinner.

With this plan we (of course) started our day with the lovely ladies at the Love Muffin, and I even tried a muffin, Oh so good! (Insert inappropriate joke here). Today we would head into Canyon Lands National Park Via Long Canyon, and then do Gemini Bridges roads and Dead Horse State Park.

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

We headed up 279 on the left, just north of the bridge on 191 over the Green River following the rock wall (climbers wall) along the canyon. We turned into Long Canyon on the right and ran the (at first) easy canyon run in the early morning light. The road then quickly climbed via a series of switchbacks and became very steep. We were now officially entering “Pucker Pass”. Coming around yet another tight switchback I saw the iconic (seen in so many ride reports on Moab) Rock tunnel, or as I call it the Donut Hole. We all made it under fairly easily and climbed into the sandy, narrow canyon for what the pass is named for. It has some fairly good, rock steps with deep powder in between. I managed to dig myself a trench but didn’t crash. I was however in no need of the side stand as she was up to the swing arm again. With a little assistance on the slippery steps we (Paul and I) helped get Chris and the DR over the steps and to the top. This we didn’t realize until the next day, having never been up this run before.

IMG_0060.jpg

LongCanyon.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

Puckerpass2.jpg

PuckerPass3.jpg

ChrisbeatsPuckerPass.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

PaulthroughtheDonutHole.jpg

I was too afraid of dropping the big bike, getting up the dusty steps, in the very narrow canyon so I opted to turn around. It may have been doable but it wasn’t worth the risk (to me) as the rock would be very unforgiving to both the bike and I. Paul felt the same way, so Chris turned around (from the top) and came back down. Had we realized (at the time) how close we had come, I think we would have persisted despite the risks. Back down the Canyon and up the highway to Gemini Bridges road. This was a breeze after our warm up in Long Canyon. We met another rider on a Yamaha 250 that we had talked to one

morning at the Muffin. He described the white “sand” on Gemini road as “Moon Dust” and I think that was as accurate a description as is possible (not having been to the moon yet). The view of the highway into Moab from up on Gemini is worth the time alone to do the road. The trail has a nice variety from hard packed, wide, red gravel to hard rock steps, to Moon dust troughs. The walk out to the actual namesake is also a must, unless heights terrify you.

AtGeminiBridge-1.jpg

BootsatGemini-1.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

GeminiBridgesroad-1.jpg

The road ends up on 313 and we checked out Dead Horse Point next, and wow what views there were, truly awe inspiring even if it was too late in the day for really good light, like sunrise would provide. Next time we would have to camp there.

DeadHorsePoint.jpg

ShaferroadbelowDeadhorsePoint.jpg

ViewfromGrandePointUtah.jpg

Then off to Canyon Lands National Park and some truly fun, twisty pavement in some sections, sorry my speedometer must have stopped working, oops. After exploring every inch of pavement we discussed returning on Shafer road, but we might run late, and Paul could not risk it, no big deal.

After lots of photos we returned to the Campground and cooled off, cleaned up and left Paul to the mercy of his relatives. I spotted what I though was them just as Chris and I were driving out the gate.

We parked in front of Zak’s on the main drag. It is a great place for pizza and burgers as it turns out. It has an eclectic décor but very modern and clean. The food was reasonably priced and really good. After dinner we hit the Liquor store for another bottle of fine single malt scotch and went t-shirt shopping. I, also found a few new decals for the saddlebags (what can I say, it’s a weakness). Back to camp we went to enjoy at least one of our purchases. I was disappointed that Wayne had packed up while we were out riding as we wanted to take him out for dinner, since the one time we dragged him along he insisted in paying. I hope his ride home to Nevada was a good one! Paul returned and reported that he had a good visit with his family and I was happy that he had managed to fit that in.

Tomorrow would be our last day in Moab and we planned out what we wanted to accomplish which would include Shafer road, The Shaffer switchbacks again, and Long Canyon (top to Bottom). Then go see the best of Arches Park. Remember we skipped one turnoff that first day in Moab. It turns out that is where the best Arches, and most easily accessible ones are, who knew?

Days ago I already decided that I would return to Moab again so I wasn’t stressed that we didn’t get done everything that I had heard about in Ride Reports. I kept reminding myself that this was my (and my friends) vacation and was about having fun, not ticking off boxes on a to-do list. From that stand point, I had succeeded, and the Moab part of the trip had been a total success.

Back