Modding the flies

Ok, so I attempted this tonight, and wouldn't you know it, I stripped ONE screw. Stripped it BADLY. I put everything back together for now, I know I can run around and find new screws, but now how do I get that one out? Thanks!

Ouch! Did you heat the screw with a torch before trying to remove it? I had to heat mine quite a bit but it came right out with ease after doing so.

Stupid question or not, I've never heard the term in this context; what are the "flies" on a motorcycle?

Not a stupid question, I thought the same thing at first. Here is a picture looking down at the flies on my FZ1 :
attachment.php

As far as I understand it the flies limit the airflow at certain RPMs, what this affects performance wise I'm unsure but modding them is supposed to increase midrange power. Copperdawg also has a good how to video on youtube that is deffinately worth checking out.

I ran into the same problem, striping the head of the screw so gave up trying to mod them. Even with the heat and what not, I actually broke the tip on a brand new number 0 screwdriver more than once in my attempt.

I got four of the screws out and then ran into a couple of stubborn ones. One started to strip and broke the tip off of the screwdriver, even though I used a mini butane torch to heat them first.

I decided to put the other ones back in and use the zip tie method to keep them open.

Secondary Butterflies are now always open! - FZ1OA Message Board

At some point I'm going to reinstall the connecting bar backwards, like post #44 in that thread, to make sure they stay open.

Here's the scenario, yes, I heated them, got the first 7 out, no biggie, and the very last one WOULD not come loose. Stripped it, tried the one size up Phillips, then the straight blade to try and catch any edge left. Then actually sealed the openings around it with tape and tried an easy out bit. All it did was take most of the top off. Used a magnet to clean up debris before I took the tape off but I ended up putting it all back together until I come up with a way to get that one out. Very frustrating. :(

I like the idea of tying them open to see if I like that..might give that a go rather then fighting that one damn screw. Anybody know what size those are?

Alright, I found a TINY reverse bit screw extractor tonight, and Saturday I'll attempt to get that screw out. It isn't just to mod the flies anymore, now I have a flaw in the bike and I can't have that. Back up plan, stuff a rag in the tube to collect debris, and I have a 3mm drill and tap, and 3 mm screws. Wish me luck!! :)

Alright, I found a TINY reverse bit screw extractor tonight, and Saturday I'll attempt to get that screw out. It isn't just to mod the flies anymore, now I have a flaw in the bike and I can't have that. Back up plan, stuff a rag in the tube to collect debris, and I have a 3mm drill and tap, and 3 mm screws. Wish me luck!! :)

Good luck and be careful...you don't want to break that tiny screw extractor in there.

I guess I was "lucky" with mine as I had no such trouble removing any of my screws. Didn't even heat them up, but did use a practically new screwdriver. Method I used was to tap on the screwdriver handle with a small mallet while at the same time twisting the screwdriver. Worked like a charm.

I guess I was "lucky" with mine as I had no such trouble removing any of my screws. Didn't even heat them up, but did use a practically new screwdriver. Method I used was to tap on the screwdriver handle with a small mallet while at the same time twisting the screwdriver. Worked like a charm.

That's the same method I used with mine but I still managed to break the tip off a brand new #0 Snap On screwdriver in the process!

That's the same method I used with mine but I still managed to break the tip off a brand new #0 Snap On screwdriver in the process!

My screwdriver... IS BETTER THAN YOURS!
My screwdriver... IS BETTER THAN YOURS!

You have to picture that as done like the milkshake song. ;)

I applied the micro torch for about 10 seconds each and the screws came right our. The idea is to melt the thread locker on them and get them started while it is hot. They all came out without a fight. :D

YES!! I drilled out the stubborn screw and retapped it for a 3 mm replacement screw. I cut the plates all down, but it started raining outside, so I'll reinstall the plates in the morning. Thanks for the support my FZ1 friends!! :)

Back