Motorcycle Fatalaties Drop in 2010

I have recently read this statistic as well. I'am writing a research paper for a English class, its on helmet laws. I'am startled by some of the statistics I've come across. What I find scary about it is the drop in fatalities are coming hand in hand with more states repealing their helmet laws. This is something that organizations will use to lobby the abolishment of these laws in their own states. I live in PA we do not have a helmet law here and yes knuckle head me has indulged in my" right to choose " and wouldn't you know a few years back on one of the rare occasions that I wasn't completely geared up I went down. Needless to say I had to give up my modeling and movie careers.: owned: My point I'am a experienced rider with many miles under my belt + safety/and performance riding schools attended. Three blocks for my house I end up in a ambulance and have no recollection of what happened. I have many scars and had med bills out the whazoo in a incident that I most likely could walk away from. I'am a advocate of helmet laws. BTW what is not said with the decline in fatalities is that helmet use is actually on the rise, and some say that increased amount of cycles with ABS seems to be playing a small part as well. :2cents:

It's amazing that you pretty much have to wear a seat belt in every state while driving an automobile, yet not a helmet while riding a motorcycle. Both items are basically there to help lessen injury in the event of a crash.

I don't have a problem with people wanting the right to choose. It is called freedom, and I am in support of an American's right to do anything that doesn't endanger anyone else. That being said, you have to be a complete dumb a$$ to ride without a helmet no matter what speed you are riding. Concrete, asphalt, trees, etc... don't get any softer the slower you hit them. I will give you a pic of one of my helmets that saved my life in 1998 when an 18 yr old kid decided he didn't like me riding next to him and ran my bike into a ditch. I on the other hand, after hitting the asphalt which cracked my helmet, ended up under the back tire of the truck at 60mph. I am here to tell about it because of my AGV helmet.

That is amazing. I think the big point of the helmet laws are some not all states don't have a age restriction or sufficient ins. Coverage proof. Theoretical situation kid no helmet gets whacked by one of those half dollar sized bees in the face startled jerks the bike off the road. Now he's a mess no medical insurance now the taxpayer is paying. Now I know the relative thing could happen with a helmet but reduces the risks significantly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
That is amazing. I think the big point of the helmet laws are some not all states don't have a age restriction or sufficient ins. Coverage proof. Theoretical situation kid no helmet gets whacked by one of those half dollar sized bees in the face startled jerks the bike off the road. Now he's a mess no medical insurance now the taxpayer is paying. Now I know the relative thing could happen with a helmet but reduces the risks significantly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter if someone has insurance or not. We all pay. Part of your premium goes to pay for other peoples misfortune.

My 17yr old son crashed his mothers car with four other kids in the car. There were some serious injuries but all survived. My insurance paid out the maximum $300,000. I was paying about $3,000 a year at the time for my coverage. It would have taken 100 years to pay them back. Luckily all you folks that have State Farm helped them pay for my son’s mistake.

Thanks

Also statistics:

Fewer new riders
Fewer new bikes sold
The average age of riders going up (40's to 50's)
Choppers (suspension-free-lead-sleds) are falling out of being trendy
Home-equity based motorcycle purchasing as a thing of the past
Harley Davidson Motor Company in a death spiral...

All sorts of things contribute to fewer deaths... most are bad reflections on an industry in the dumps.

Back