Multimeter use?

Remember I change parts, I'm not a mechanic, I never used on of these before.

I bought a multimeter at Sears last night, the cheap one, $19.95.

So to test the stator I disconnected the harness from the rec, and folow the directions from the Yamaha manual.

The MM is on Ohm, "20". I also have 2000, 20K, 200K, and 2000K. 20 looked good to me. I've got the red lead in the red plug and the black lead in the "COM" plug. This is correct, right?

When I touch the leads to the stator harness, I get a flash of numbers and it settles on .4. Obivously well out of range. Am I reading/understanding this correctly?

The MM does work as I tested my battery and got 12.7, with the bike not running.

Now ask me to install the new stator, no problem.

Thanks!

I just checked my manual (06-09) and it says on pages 8-93 & 8-94 that the resistance of the coils should be between .14 and .18 Ohms. They recommend using the X1 scale so I think your "20" scale is equal to the X1 scale by the looks of your other choices. Your .4 is out of spec if you are in fact looking at a x1 multiplier. It also says to check the plug between pins 1&2, 1&3, and 2&3. The book tells you which lead gets the positive lead and which one gets the common lead. I'd read all three again and see what kind of variationyou get, if any.

I followed the manual and got .4 in all of the positions.

I saw the X1 but my MM didn't have that option so I wan't sure.

Thanks for the help.

Bike is now at the repair shop. I'm not going to have time to mess with this and I just want it fixed. I'd been dragging that damn Buell to the shop of the past 18 months, I just want to ride.

Sorry Pete but I too need to learn a lot more about a MM and the use of it. I'm looking at buying a pretty good one with a go-zillion settings.

For now, here's a how-to and there's many videos on Youtube showing the use of them as well. I've just never taken the time to use or buy one to learn.

How to Use a Multimeter - wikiHow

What do you all think of this one? [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002LZU7K/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?ie=UTF8&cloe_id=e2396d8a-84d5-4e1e-95c4-3520b299edc0&attrMsgId=LPWidget-A2&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000JFHMQ6&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19J1YC4Y62S6QGVQTZFJ"]Amazon.com: Actron CP7677 Automotive TroubleShooter - Digital Multimeter and Engine Analyzer: Automotive[/ame]

Last edited:
Sorry Pete but I too need to learn a lot more about a MM and the use of it. I'm looking at buying a pretty good one with a go-zillion settings.

For now, here's a how-to and there's many videos on Youtube showing the use of them as well. I've just never taken the time to use or buy one to learn.

How to Use a Multimeter - wikiHow

What do you all think of this one? Amazon.com: Actron CP7677 Automotive TroubleShooter - Digital Multimeter and Engine Analyzer: Automotive

Looks good to me Eric, but what do I know???

I bought this one: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03482141000P

Sears had analog ones for $13.95, all the way to the uber trick Flukes for $159.95. They all kinda looked the same to me and had similar features so the least expensive digital one looked like the best fit. It's not like I'll be using it everyday.

Thanks for the links. I think I understand the dial better now.

The multimeter of that caliber is likely not sensitive enough to measure resistance that small. .14 to .18 ohms is practically a short.

Check the specs on the meter to see its accuracy and sensitivity.

http://assets.fluke.com/manuals/287_289_umeng0200.pdf Look at page 82/88 (pdf page, not page at the bottom)... That's the precision you get out of a $600 meter.

Thanks, but for that cost I can buy a new stator, rec, and battery. :tup:

Last edited:
Back