My Naked and Chopped 1st Gen

Tell me about this digital fuel gauge...

I don't know anything about it either ! ONLY the picture of it he has posted in the ebay auction. The auction is over, but it's still up for viewing. I am not familiar with that gauge or the clutch lever he has described that is now installed. I pick up the FZ tomorrow and will know more about everything on Tuesday when I get a chance to di-sect things out . . .. .:innocent0002:

Here's the link to the auction for those that want to see pics...lol

Yamaha : FZ - eBay (item 290549562223 end time Apr-02-11 06:58:47 PDT)

The pictures are kind of small, but that gauge might be a multi-function one that I've seen in the past. Someone used to make them (doubt they still do) and you had to wire it into the rest of the wiring loom. I think in addition to fuel level, it also displayed volts and possibly other things as well.

Good luck with the bike and I'm sure you'll be posting plenty of pics when you finally get it.

Ah! Its what I throught it would be and not what I hoped! ha
That super gauge is pretty cool. I was wondering if someone managed to produce a stand alone gauge with brains to monitor fuel. I'm running the Trail Tech Vapor gauge and am running without a fuel gauge.

RE: Digital fuel gauge

Thanks guys !! Of course, I'll be posting some pics of the gauge when I get it home and get it figured out. Hopefully the instruction manual for the gauge will come with it. Thanks for posting the link to the FZ1 on ebay.
Alas, my '01 was heavily modded with many of the most popular tricks and ideas. There is so much information coming from the minds of the many experienced and knowledgable people you see on here. This is a great forum community! I really enjoy learning and doing the upgrades and improving these great machines . . . . now, heh,heh,heh,, I get to start all over on this one.

RE: Fuel gauge

Thanks for the information concerning the optional multi-function fuel gauge. I checked out the website you linked, and, printed it off just in case it is the very SAME gauge set up. If it is . . . . WOW !! If it works like the website indicates . . . WOW again !! Thanks again for finding this and passing it on. I will be picking it up tomorrow. I'll let you know what in fact it is . . . .

RE: . . . Poor ebay--FZ

Hey Guys,

The trip to Pleasant Planis, ILL. for the 2002 FZ10 was all for naught. When I got there he immediately said to me, "pull your truck on inside the garage here, we can load the bike up in out of the wind and rain." Mmhhhh. I politelty declined and said I would ride it first, here is the money. I asked if he had started the bike. Yep he said. Starts right up. The bike was warm, and, it was flooded. Mmhhhh. After several minutes I got it started. Mmhhhh. The fancy FZ1 gauge (in the place of the fuel gauge) was blank. No amount of fiddling with it would awaken it. Mmhhhh. After warming it up good (while messing with that gauge thingy), I get settled in the saddle and WTF ?? The bars are tilted to the right, and also down, about 3 or 4 degrees. Mmhhhh. Still looking at the bars and pondering what this maybe meant, I noticed that the forks between the triple clamps were twisted ever so slightly. Mmhhhh. Off I go down the skinny, county road, pulls to the right ever so slightly. Mmhhh. Shift to second, , , ,nothing, only air, no engagement, no click, no snick. No second gear. I found neutral a couple of times. Mmhhh. I apply the brakes and also poke it back into first gear and, and, ooww, ooww, I'm headed for the ditch, pulling mightily to the right ---HARD.. , hope I don't tip over now . . . brakes,,,brakes. 'Whew' that was close. Skinny road and all. Mmhhh. I do a U-turn and creep back to the garage, in first gear. Mmhhh.
I told him what I found when I rode it. He confesses, that he hasn't ridden the bike either. His son (in the Navy) left him the Illinois title and ask him to sell it, told him that he didn't like riding it very much. Mmhhhh. The FZ with an Illinois title had a North Carolina license plate on the back. Mmhhhh. I noticed that the GIVI trunk for the rack on the back was missing. Mmhhhh.
I said, "You know what, in light of everything I have found after riding this Yamaha, I am just not interested in going through with this purchase." "Just to many issues, and to many things I don't like about it's mechanical condition." I drove 3.5 hours over here and I'll take my money back thank you, and drive the 3.5 hours back to Indiana. He apologized and thanked me for coming, and thanked me for doing a basic shake-down ride for him. Mmhhh. I am still looking for a NICE, well equipped, fairly priced YAMAHA FZ 10 !! Mmhhhh. :beer:

Wow.. That is horrible news. I hate that you had to go through that and also hate people would try and do business in such a way. There is no excuse.

Since you're soooo upset, offer me double and you can have mine! Ha

Hey Guys,

The trip to Pleasant Planis, ILL. for the 2002 FZ10 was all for naught. When I got there he immediately said to me, "pull your truck on inside the garage here, we can load the bike up in out of the wind and rain." Mmhhhh. I politelty declined and said I would ride it first, here is the money. I asked if he had started the bike. Yep he said. Starts right up. The bike was warm, and, it was flooded. Mmhhhh. After several minutes I got it started. Mmhhhh. The fancy FZ1 gauge (in the place of the fuel gauge) was blank. No amount of fiddling with it would awaken it. Mmhhhh. After warming it up good (while messing with that gauge thingy), I get settled in the saddle and WTF ?? The bars are tilted to the right, and also down, about 3 or 4 degrees. Mmhhhh. Still looking at the bars and pondering what this maybe meant, I noticed that the forks between the triple clamps were twisted ever so slightly. Mmhhhh. Off I go down the skinny, county road, pulls to the right ever so slightly. Mmhhh. Shift to second, , , ,nothing, only air, no engagement, no click, no snick. No second gear. I found neutral a couple of times. Mmhhh. I apply the brakes and also poke it back into first gear and, and, ooww, ooww, I'm headed for the ditch, pulling mightily to the right ---HARD.. , hope I don't tip over now . . . brakes,,,brakes. 'Whew' that was close. Skinny road and all. Mmhhh. I do a U-turn and creep back to the garage, in first gear. Mmhhh.
I told him what I found when I rode it. He confesses, that he hasn't ridden the bike either. His son (in the Navy) left him the Illinois title and ask him to sell it, told him that he didn't like riding it very much. Mmhhhh. The FZ with an Illinois title had a North Carolina license plate on the back. Mmhhhh. I noticed that the GIVI trunk for the rack on the back was missing. Mmhhhh.
I said, "You know what, in light of everything I have found after riding this Yamaha, I am just not interested in going through with this purchase." "Just to many issues, and to many things I don't like about it's mechanical condition." I drove 3.5 hours over here and I'll take my money back thank you, and drive the 3.5 hours back to Indiana. He apologized and thanked me for coming, and thanked me for doing a basic shake-down ride for him. Mmhhh. I am still looking for a NICE, well equipped, fairly priced YAMAHA FZ 10 !! Mmhhhh. :beer:
That sucks, I feel for ya.

Sorry it didn't work out...I'm sure you'll find another ride soon. Hey at least all you lost was some time and gas money. Better that you discovered all those issues now than a week or two down the road when the bike was "yours".

And this is a perfect example of why you can't buy any bike w/o test riding it first (or at least inspecting it in person)...

Last edited:
I found the closed relisted auction (that someone else won) and he mentions NOTHING of any of the issues in the description. He says he rode it a few miles and it did great. :(

Now, that's the pure essence of motorcycling the way it should be. Throw away all those boxes, bags, and bundles. If you need to carry anything put on a duffle bag or backpack. If I have mine long enough, this is the way I'm headed. "No riders", they can get their own wheels or we'll take the car. Two thumbs up!

can you please post step by step how you did the tail, my saw is itchin to cut but how did you attach the rear lights? what does the seat go to? the stock latch? what does the tail fairing attach to?

Yeah, looks wow! Never seen a chopped FZ1. About the front end - what make, style headlight is that? Does it show good light at night? What did you do for mirrors and indicators?

Back