Need NEW Levers??

I usually have to rework all of the non-oem parts that I install on bikes. Maybe I'm just picky.

I don`t know what brands are you buying, but I never have to rework anything when I buy brands like Rizoma, Puig, Pazzo, Braking, etc.. But on the other side I have to rework something almost everytime when I buy something from China.

Anyone who installs a set of levers without testing them before riding is a fool. I did have to ream my master cylinder lever pivot hole. This could have caused a problem if not corrected. Proper installation is always required on anything.

When you install levers with bad tolerances on master cylinder lever pivot hole, levers sometimes work just fine when you test them. If you do not lift the front wheel and check if the wheel spins freely, you can easily think that everything is ok. You go for a ride and then.. I always check everything. But believe it or not, some people do not. Idiots? Maybe. For me it is just not acceptable that some people are selling such dangerous parts. If you buy and pay for a lever for xx model, the lever should fit on that xx model without any modifications!

Any bar stock aluminum is stronger then simple cast parts. I bought silver levers to avoid the anodize issue. I have been using anodized parts for decades, from many different countries and they all fade over time. Protective coatings on the more expensive levers helps this. The Chinese levers are cheap because of cheap labor and currency manipulation by the Chinese government. Just my opinion.

True. If the aluminium block does not have some foreign object inside it.. It happened at least once.. CNC milled lever just snapped in half.

The Chinese levers are cheap because of cheap labor. But not just because of that. Chinese products are also cheap because crappy cheap materials are used and also because quality control is shit.

I once broke in half a 22mm chinese wrench (it suposed to be made from chrome vanadium steel, yeah sure) with my bare hand. And I am no bodybuilder!

Last edited:
Wow!
Cheap tings nuh good, good tings nuh cheap. Lol
But I guess I speak for everyone here, we love a good deal just as the next guy, just need to know where to draw the line between cheap and quality.

I don`t know what brands are you buying, but I never have to rework anything when I buy brands like Rizoma, Puig, Pazzo, Braking, etc.. But on the other side I have to rework something almost everytime when I buy something from China.

I am talking about parts in general. I haven't bought any expense levers.

When you install levers with bad tolerances on master cylinder lever pivot hole, levers sometimes work just fine when you test them. If you do not lift the front wheel and check if the wheel spins freely, you can easily think that everything is ok. You go for a ride and then.. I always check everything. But believe it or not, some people do not. Idiots? Maybe. For me it is just not acceptable that some people are selling such dangerous parts. If you buy and pay for a lever for xx model, the lever should fit on that xx model without any modifications!

In a perfect world all parts would fit as intended.

True. If the aluminium block does not have some foreign object inside it.. It happened at least once.. CNC milled lever just snapped in half.

That sounds like a hidden defect. It could happen with an air bubble in a casting. Thats why we have rear brakes. LOL

The Chinese levers are cheap because of cheap labor. But not just because of that. Chinese products are also cheap because crappy cheap materials are used and also because quality control is shit.

The stuff that I have been buying has been of very good quality. Photo accessories,bike parts mostly.

I once broke in half a 22mm chinese wrench (it suposed to be made from chrome vanadium steel, yeah sure) with my bare hand. And I am no bodybuilder!

I think that they are getting better, but quality does vary among different manufacturers.

They are getting better, a lot better compared to let`s say 10 years ago, but they are not just there yet..

I have bought a lot of Chinese stuff (electronic gadgets, knives, bike accessories, etc..) Quality varies from very very good to total crap.. But when it comes to brakes and other vital parts I prefer known brands and proven quality. You just can´t be sure what you get with this Chinese parts..

He Fellas,

So, just to let you know, Jan, or at least that's how the person continues to sign their responses back to me, has come through for me. I was sent two pair of levers, same colours as originally pictured when I started the thread, one pair was the entirely wrong colour choice for me.

McMotorparts /Jan is sending me the correct colour of levers/adjuster to me, less the bases, however, I don't have to ship anything back to them.

So, just to be clear, that's why I originally started this thread was to inform all of this eBay vendor that actually seems to give two shits about their clientelle who is selling reasonably priced decent parts, seemingly a very rare thing these days. I did not start the thread to debate the efficacy of chinese parts compared to high quality, high priced Italilan/USA parts. DUH, the more expensive ones are better, REALLY??

I don't say this to offend either but rather as a matter of rhetoric. Assuming the average aged rider of an FZ-1 is more middle aged I would also assume that the average FZ-1 forum member would understand the idea of a forum being a useful tool to help one another. What I've witnesses with this thread appears to be more pissing contest than the intended help I was offering.

DAMN!

drmgillan said:
Wow!
Cheap tings nuh good, good tings nuh cheap. Lol
But I guess I speak for everyone here, we love a good deal just as the next guy, just need to know where to draw the line between cheap and quality.

Thank you sir!

They are getting better, a lot better compared to let`s say 10 years ago, but they are not just there yet..

I have bought a lot of Chinese stuff (electronic gadgets, knives, bike accessories, etc..) Quality varies from very very good to total crap.. But when it comes to brakes and other vital parts I prefer known brands and proven quality. You just can´t be sure what you get with this Chinese parts..

" But when it comes to brakes and other vital parts I prefer known brands and proven quality. "

Your very wise Sir. :)

IMG044.jpg

MCmotoparts-Brake-clutch-Lever-show-3.jpg

Is the color you ordered suppose to be gold?

I have a set of FDB levers in 'gold' with black adjusters, full length on my '07 cobalt blue FZ1 with the gold forks and black wheels. The gold doesn't match the forks, but it falls in the 'close enough' category for me. Other than the color not being quite right, I've been very happy with them for over a year now.

I looked and looked for adjustable levers for my wife's Ninja 250r, but had some trouble finding them. I was looking over the FZ8 sister site and found someone (sorry, but I can't remember the member's name) talking about "Ride It" levers for the FZ8 at RideItMoto.com, so I checked out the site, and they had Ninja 250R levers. I bought a regular length black set with titanium adjusters and have been impressed with them on her bike. I know they make FZ1 levers too. I've been considering a set of shorties from them for my FZ1. I just wanted to share this site as an options too.

YAMAHA ADJUSTABLE SHORTY LEVER SET

I used a set of these on my R6 track bike I really liked them and they held up great in a lowside, I bent the clipons but not the levers. I would recomend them to any of you with confidence.

FP Racing Tactical Bi-Folding Levers

I have a set of these shorty levers on my 2007 Triumph Daytona, I like the fit and feel a lot. MototMummy sells them and you can also get them custom engraved for an extra fee of course. https://www.motomummy.com/store/home.php?cat=516

sushiplease said:
Is the color you ordered suppose to be gold?

Yes the colour is gold, that's an over exposed picture however, so if you're thinking it's too washed out, you're right.

Bdazzler,

Not sure if you're looking for a gold pair of levers for later FZ-1, but I will have an extra pair of Gold levers for sale soon. The merchant is coming through for me on sending me the wrong colour. Initially he was just going to send me a replacement pair of levers in the correct colour, minus the bases. I've asked him to charge me a few extra dollars for the black bases as well, $25, or $20 hopefully, not sure yet but still not bad including shipping. That's the end of my story now.

Cheers

Yes the colour is gold, that's an over exposed picture however, so if you're thinking it's too washed out, you're right.

Bdazzler,

Not sure if you're looking for a gold pair of levers for later FZ-1, but I will have an extra pair of Gold levers for sale soon. The merchant is coming through for me on sending me the wrong colour. Initially he was just going to send me a replacement pair of levers in the correct colour, minus the bases. I've asked him to charge me a few extra dollars for the black bases as well, $25, or $20 hopefully, not sure yet but still not bad including shipping. That's the end of my story now.

Cheers

I would be interested in another gold set of levers. (sorry if you said earlier, I haven't read the entire thread yet) What brand, shortie or long and how much would you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Fellows,

So, the eBay seller whom I was originally saying was great is still just that. After finally installing them I can say that the fit and finish with the machine are TOP Notch. I took off a competing pair of chinese levers and I must say, those ones were junk compared to these ones, very nice indeed.

The retailer sent me my correct colour of levers no-charge and I didn't need to send back the orginally sent wrong coloured ones. NICE!

Hope this helps.

I've had FDB gold shorty levers for three years and 23,000 miles. They still look great, and operate great. So
While some of the stuff coming out of Hong Kong may be junk, these have rocked. Take it for what you will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back