Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Penske 8900E

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • Hyperpro Steering Damper

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other? List below

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
Alright, so basically here is the deal. There are a LOT of things I still want to get for my FZ1, however money has basically run out and I am back to saving for things one at a time again... :(

My 1 year with my girl is coming June 8th, and she is getting me something for the bike. Somewhere around the 350 range I can spend. She is doing this because there is really nothing else that I want and we have both agreed that the bike is my prized possession so getting me something for that is the best gift by far haha.

Here is where I don't know what to do. Original plan was for her to get me the OEM belly pan, which I KNOW will look amazing. However, now I am looking around at a bunch of other things.

I know my rear shock sucks, that is a given. So I am kind of debating on getting the Penske 8900E, as I just don't see the need for the 8983 with how I ride the bike. Hellgate seems to really like his 8900 and he most likely rides the bike more aggressive than I do anyways so I am going to venture to say that's more than enough shock for me. If I go this route, I will have to add some of my own cash to go with hers to get the shock.

Then there are steering dampers. Was looking at the Hyperpro top mounted one. But I am not sure exactly how needed this really is. It seems like only 30% of the people with FZ1's even use them.

And then there is the belly pan... But that is literally just a cosmetic thing so other than looks, it serves no purpose.

I will be getting a PC3/PCV on my own some time over the summer, so I am not going to have her get me that as I will eventually find a good deal on one.

So basically, if you were me.. What would you get? You can mention something else if you like as well.

Thanks!

Buy low, sell high.

Oh! bike related. Hands down, the Penske. My FZ1 is a street bike, not a track bike, and the 8900E is the perfect shock. Much better than stock but at a resonable price. A very good value for street riding. Now if I was taking the FZ to the track I'd upgrade my 8900E to the two way Penske for $250, which is kinda cool.

I would definitely go with the Penske, especially with the amount of riding that you'll be doing. The steering damper is nice but not a "necessity" at this time, as is the belly pan. The shock however will make your rides much more enjoyable.

That is basically how I am thinking..

I want to get myself a set of R1 forks and the 6 Piston brakes, so I have been hunting the R1 forum every day and eBay looking around. The rear shock though is more important and I think should be done first... I don't really have anything against my front forks, I really just want those killer brakes basically.

That is basically how I am thinking..

I want to get myself a set of R1 forks and the 6 Piston brakes, so I have been hunting the R1 forum every day and eBay looking around. The rear shock though is more important and I think should be done first... I don't really have anything against my front forks, I really just want those killer brakes basically.

The forks are actually pretty good when compared to other bikes like the FZ6 and the SV650, Ninja 650, etc. They are USD, adjustable and the brakes are very, very good. The rear shock however is a boat anchor.

Eventually I'd like to convert the forks to R1s but that project is way down the list. For me, not to steal your thread brother, is Arrow headers (only because they look so cool with springs and things), radiator screen replacement, and one of those new lithium batteries (only because they are cool too). Other than that I am very, very pleased with the FZ.

Yeah, what is funny is even though I am looking for the forks, I can't afford to buy any right now lol. But at least I am getting an idea as to what they go for.

In all reality, the forks may not be getting done until next year.

The rear shock though, it really does need to go. Ugh, sometimes I consider selling my Desert Eagle and buying the 8983 becuase I know it is like the god of shocks, and then I could even get the belly pan.. :(

I'm in the same boat, due to writting the fed/state a check for a LARGE amount of $$$ (single/no write off's!!!) . . . the FIRST thing I bought was an OHLIN! Now what should I buy next?

I'm in the same boat, due to writting the fed/state a check for a LARGE amount of $$$ (single/no write off's!!!) . . . the FIRST thing I bought was an OHLIN! Now what should I buy next?

Brake lines by HEL. They improve the feel and feedback which is always good.

I voted for the Penske( take into consideration Ohlins now has a shock at the same price point). I have the HyperPro damper and love it but consider my butt is up 5mm and my front is about to go down some with the R1 stuff. At stock ride height or lower the steering damper would just be for looks. My Penske was a great investment so far. Money you can feel every time you ride. I do have some very nice fork sliders for sale cheap.

I gotta do tires next. I have 9000+ miles on the original.

Then I want to do the block off plates (I really hate the pop-pop-pop) and Graves Velocity Stacks. I already have an Akro Slip-On, modded airbox, K&N Filter, PC III.

The shock mod will have to wait until summer. Mid summer. Maybe late summer. :drools:

I'm in the same boat on the uncle sam payment.

I voted for the shock. That will most likely be my next non-cosmetic mod. And by the way someone just sold a Penske 8983 for $550. I just didn't have the money for it right now :(

I voted for the shock. That will most likely be my next non-cosmetic mod. And by the way someone just sold a Penske 8983 for $550. I just didn't have the money for it right now :(

Same here... next up is suspension (yes, I spent it all backwards!) but I don't have the cash to put up right now. I'm already budgeted out for this year and unless there is a windfall..... Modless 2011. ;)

Last edited:
SPORT_1.jpg

Here you go Geno, Lee is waiting for you call.

RE: Want/List

Papa, take it from me , , , married for 41 years to the same gal. Get HER a side car for the FZ !!! She will love you for it ! Just make sure, double check it for--SURE, that it has a really tall wind-screen so as not to muss her hair up. (experience talkin here) For when cruisin in them triple digits ! :noworries:

I think the same guy I got my forks from.

Probably. He was putting his naked '06 back to stock before selling it. Don't think he ever got those R1 forks on it. He wasn't too far from me, and he even offered me the shock for $525 if I would pick it up, but I just didn't have the money to spend on it right now :(

So here is the deal. I just talked to Lee for about half an hour. The 8983 is a great setup for what I will be doing with the bike. Problem is money. My girl wants to actually get me something for our one year but the shock is wayy out of the budget. So for that its either the hyperpro or the belly pan. I may throw my Desert Eagle up for sale to get the shock, if not I will be getting it mid summer on my own.

So now out of these two, what would you get? Belly pan or Hyperpro?

So here is the deal. I just talked to Lee for about half an hour. The 8983 is a great setup for what I will be doing with the bike. Problem is money. My girl wants to actually get me something for our one year but the shock is wayy out of the budget. So for that its either the hyperpro or the belly pan. I may throw my Desert Eagle up for sale to get the shock, if not I will be getting it mid summer on my own.

So now out of these two, what would you get? Belly pan or Hyperpro?

Get the HyperPro and look for a used belly pan on the forums or eBay ;)

Agree with the mass majority = Suspension is the biggest improvement & gearing is the cheapest performance gain. Aftermarket bits can be picked up on fleebay 2nd-hand easy, it just waiting and watching.

Back