Need Recommendations for Frame Sliders for Lower Fairing

I just bought a 2007 FZ1 that has the lower faring on it. Can some one recommend some longer sliders that will protect the bodywork if it falls over. I'm not really mechanical, so something that I could just bolt on would be great.

Thanks in advance......Roy

I have a 07 with full fairings too, I ordered the T-Rex ones last friday as they seem longer than others, should receive them at the beginning of next week.

I hope they will be long enough too, I can show you pictures as soon as they are installed!

You can order the sliders designated for the R1 but they come with adapter extension plates which IMO is not the best design for protection. You can just dremel a small section of the fairings to make the sliders fit.

I too have been researching sliders that will work with the fairing and I wonder if these would work?

Graves Motorsports Yamaha R1 Frame Sliders - No Cut 2007-2008

r1-sliders-07-08.jpg

It appears the mounts would stop the extension bracket from shifting during impact. What I'm not sure about is if the spacing between the anti-rotation tabs on the bracket will fit around the frame since they are made for the 07-08 R1.

I don't suppose anyone has tried them on a GenII FZ1 have they?

Jon...

Last edited:
You can order the sliders designated for the R1 but they come with adapter extension plates which IMO is not the best design for protection. You can just dremel a small section of the fairings to make the sliders fit.

yeap agree here is not the best design. I used to have a full faired FZ6S2 with R1 no cut Shogun frame sliders.

Had a bad accident with a cager 2 years ago. After the wreck, noticed that the slider scratched the frame of my fz6. It looks like the adapter turned anti clock during the fall!!

i'd reckon the slider would be more effective if it is directly mounted to the frame. although its painful to dremel into the full fairings

Regarding the Graves R1 sliders I posted above......

I just came across this post from 2009.

I've got the Graves motorsport R1 sliders on mine and I still had to trim the lower fairings to install them. Thankfully haven't tested them but the stick out far enough to at least keep the fairings off the ground if it just falls over, don't know if they'll help much in a slide.

So I guess that answers my question on fitment to the frame. To bad they appear to require some trimming of the fairing. I'll bet it's because of the thickness of the mount (see picture in other post above).

Here's the link to that thread if interested...
Frame Slider Questions - FZ1OA Message Board

Jon...

After researching for hours........

These seem to be the only ones made specifically for the bike:
Yamaha FZ1-S Aero Style Crash Protectors CP0225BL

2 Facts:
Their expensive
Impossible to find in the U.S.

I sent an e-mail to the company and will see if they will reply. If they do reply and are willing to sell them directly, I may buy them and have them shipped here.

Still looking for other all options. I suck as a mechanic, even a basic one..LOL. Tried to replace one screw yesterday in the cowling, dropped the part some where inside, Had to take off the whole:frown: side faring (2 times) just to find it, then had problems getting the faring back on. Life is great when you don'y have money for a mechanic!:frown:

These seem to be the only ones made specifically for the bike:
Yamaha FZ1-S Aero Style Crash Protectors CP0225BL

2 Facts:
Their expensive
Impossible to find in the U.S.

I noticed they do have dealers in the US. Have you spoken to any of the dealers on their "Partners" page to see if they can order them?

My only concern with those is they appear to be spaced out quite aways from the frame. It may not be an issue since I would prefer to bend a bolt than crack a frame in an impact. But spacing it out like that bothers me the same way using an unsupported spacer/extension to relocate the slider to clear the fairing does.

On the other hand, they should provide protection for a low speed drop or parking lot drop though which in the big picture which is reason I personally want sliders since I figure during a high speed get off I'll have a lot more to worry about than fairing damage.

If I was racing the bike, or doing a lot of track days, I personally would just cut the fairing and bolt sliders directly to the frame along with installing axle sliders front and rear.

Jon...

Last edited:
Ordered Direct fro R&G Racing

I ordered them today direct from England, sooooooooooo/

No one in the U.S. had them and I believe that it would be quicker to order them directly. Almost the same cost. Now it's just wait and see:flash:

I hope you'll be pleased with the R&G sliders, they may be slightly more costly but are used by race teams so have been well tested.

I fitted mine with the fairing in place, but it may be wise to move it out of the way if you need more working space.
Just make sure you don't get the bolts cross threaded and don't torque them too tightly and you're good to go. :D

I ordered them today direct from England, sooooooooooo/

No one in the U.S. had them and I believe that it would be quicker to order them directly. Almost the same cost. Now it's just wait and see:flash:

Please post back when you get them to let us know how the install went and what you think of them.

Also, with the current exchange rate, if you don't mind me asking what was the total cost with shipping?

Thanks,

Jon...

I finally got my T-Rex sliders yesterday, took a look at it with the bike near, and I'll have to do some custom work to make them fit :p

I'll keep you updated...

Back