Need suggestions

Ok fellow FZers,

Here's my problem: First off, I have small hands to start with, and my reach for the clutch is maxed out which is not a big issues, Ive gotten used to it. Problem is when I'm getting on her (my bike that is :)) really good and I pull the clutch and hit the throttle hard, by the time I release the clutch, I don't have a good grip on the left grip and on several occasions my left hand slipped off.

Questions: 1. Will shortys allow me to at least pull the clutch with my index/middle finger while keeping the other two on the grip?

2. Is the distance between clutch to grip less with different levers (regardless of brand)?

I see mishap in my near future if I don't get a fix for this soon.

Don't just buy shorts, buy the adjustable shorties. You'll be glad you did! I bought dragon brothers 2 years ago, and I really liked that they didn't blow up my budget, look nice and have 6 different adjustable positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the same adjustable levers but the standard length ones. I have small hands and found the two finger shorties to be too short for me. They now sell the adjustable ones that adjust the length as well. If I were going to buy new ones, I'd consider those because you can adjust the lever closer to the grip and to a comfortable length.

Fire dragon bros has changed names but I can't remember what the new name is. They had their seller rating drop significantly since I dealt with them a couple of years ago and I'm not sure if they are still a good seller. I got my second set from another seller and they were the same thing as what I got from FDB.

I got the same adjustable levers but the standard length ones. I have small hands and found the two finger shorties to be too short for me. They now sell the adjustable ones that adjust the length as well. If I were going to buy new ones, I'd consider those because you can adjust the lever closer to the grip and to a comfortable length.

Fire dragon bros has changed names but I can't remember what the new name is. They had their seller rating drop significantly since I dealt with them a couple of years ago and I'm not sure if they are still a good seller. I got my second set from another seller and they were the same thing as what I got from FDB.

I also have the FDB adjustable levers in full length. They are great levers, but the anodizing seems more prone to fading. I don't know their new name, but I just got some new levers for my wife's '09 Ninja 250r from "Ride It". They came from Hong Kong and cost $60. I read about them on the sister FZ8 site. They also make the length adjustable, folding levers for about $110.

The website is www.rideitmoto.com and the FZ8 member who posted about it was djcecil http://fz8-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3645

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You mentioned that you had small hands (fingers?) but you didn't say if you did or didn't have a strenght issue. Shorties, and adjustable shorties will make the reach between lever and bar a little less but at the same time, a short physics lession will tell you that all other things being equal, a shorter lever will equal a harder pull so before you go out and buy new levers you might want to consider what a slightly more stressed pull is going to do. I have rather large hands for a 5'6" guy and shorties always just seemed too cramped for me and I prefer to use the outer part of my lever for the added advantage it gives me. I can still "Fan" the clutch as well as with a short lever.

You mentioned that you had small hands (fingers?) but you didn't say if you did or didn't have a strenght issue. Shorties, and adjustable shorties will make the reach between lever and bar a little less but at the same time, a short physics lession will tell you that all other things being equal, a shorter lever will equal a harder pull so before you go out and buy new levers you might want to consider what a slightly more stressed pull is going to do. I have rather large hands for a 5'6" guy and shorties always just seemed too cramped for me and I prefer to use the outer part of my lever for the added advantage it gives me. I can still "Fan" the clutch as well as with a short lever.

+1 on harder pull with shorties! If you ever find yourself in stop-n-go traffic, there's a good chance you will regret buying shorties.. I did love them for everything else on FZ6. On FZ1 though.. I went with regular length because of the very long friction zone on this bike. Infinitely easier to pull the lever in and adjustability should solve the short finger problem.

+1 on harder pull with shorties! If you ever find yourself in stop-n-go traffic, there's a good chance you will regret buying shorties.. I did love them for everything else on FZ6. On FZ1 though.. I went with regular length because of the very long friction zone on this bike. Infinitely easier to pull the lever in and adjustability should solve the short finger problem.

I have also tried both, long and short levers, and prefer the long levers on the FZ1 as well for that very reason. I find it much easier to modulate the clutch in stop-n-go traffic.

Thanks all for the replies. Good points for me to consider with the shorties and added tension. I don't have a strength issue in my fingers, but then again I've never riden a bike with shorties to see the difference in tension. I will definitely try to find a friend that had a set before I rake out the cash.

My issue won't be a problem from 2nd gear as I can shift without the clutch, but it's that damn 1-2 that always catches me with insufficient grip.

Thanks all for the replies. Good points for me to consider with the shorties and added tension. I don't have a strength issue in my fingers, but then again I've never riden a bike with shorties to see the difference in tension. I will definitely try to find a friend that had a set before I rake out the cash.

Oh I don't doubt that you'll be able to pull in the clutch just fine with the shorties. It's more an issue after repeated pulls such as stop-n-go traffic. If you don't ever ride in those conditions then it's probably not an issue. Personally I like to use all four fingers for the clutch so the shorties just didn't do it for me. For the brake I can go either way, two finger or four finger pull. I have seen some people do a shortie on the brake side and a long lever on the clutch side.

I never noticed any difference in strength required to pull, an I ride in all conditions. I could see if you have the adjustments further out from the hand grip, but the whole point in putting on adjustables is putting them where pulling is easier. Just my .02 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here! The shorties killed my wrist and gave me tingling pains entire day after being stuck for 45 mins in stop and go traffic. I prefer the longer ones too. Longer lever = more leverage = less pull. Also try shifting the lever perch inwards a bit which helps the pull too. Adjusting the levers at the cable and at the handle to remove some cable tension works well.

I prefer shorties for the brake side to allow 1 finger trail braking in corners and 2 finger regular braking. That is why I got the foldable, extendable and adjustable ones for R1 MC setup.

Last edited:
Little more detail to alleviating this problem:

Lube the cable thoroughly. Use the EZ-glide cable lubricator that was advertised here before.

If this does not help which is likely, loosen the clutch engagement adjuster until you feel the lever loose enough. I did this exactly till the point when the rear wheel does not spin when on center-stand and in neutral. From factory the clutch is a little tight and that is why all new owners complain about the wheel spin.
However, you may not like the the engagement point and the reduced clutch friction zone. Adjustable levers can take care of the engagement point.

loosen the clutch engagement adjuster until you feel the lever loose enough. I did this exactly till the point when the rear wheel does not spin when on center-stand and in neutral. From factory the clutch is a little tight and that is why all new owners complain about the wheel spin.
However, you may not like the the engagement point and the reduced clutch friction zone. Adjustable levers can take care of the engagement point.

When you say "clutch engagement adjuster", are you talking about the barrel adjuster at the lever? Or is there another adjuster I don't know about?

Barrel adjuster only moves the point where clutch starts to bite. It does not reduce friction zone. :confused0024:

Back