New 2013 vs 2009 with 10k miles

I’m interested in an FZ1 and live in northwest NC and have read much of the posts on this most excellent forum. I would be interested in any comments or observations about a new 2013 (dealer is asking $8421) versus a used 2009 with 10K miles (private seller is asking $8,000).

Here’s more info about the used 2009:

I have a little over 12k invested in this motorcycle. I hate to let it go but just don't ride much anymore now. This is no standard FZ1. If you have ridden a factory ride, this is nothing like it. Givi V35 bags and V46 trunk with clear lenses. Waited 3 months for the clears vs the red standard lenses. They also have the quick release mounting frames. Sargent driver and passenger seats installed. Ride for hours, not 1 hour. Copperdawg moded flies, moded air box, high flow filter, full Yoshi exhaust and custom map on power commander 5. Touring tinted shield and lower cowl installed. Frame sliders installed for an extra foot rest on long trips and "incase of need." Cell phone mount and GPS mount installed on yamaha's "bent bar" instead of the factory straight bar with ISO hand grips. I have all factory parts to go with the sell. Newer Pilot Road 3's installed last year. From one hour to week long trips this bike does it all and in a rider friendly upright position. Included will be a XL & Med Flat black HJC Sky helmet with 1 1/2 Chatter boxes. XL summer mesh and Med Rider jackets. Older owner. Garage kept. $8,000.00. It is regularly serviced at the dealership.

$8000 is quite a lot for a used FZ1, mods or not. At that price, you might as well buy new. Plus, all those mods may not even be what you're looking for

I have to agree with Dustin. Unless you really want all of those mods, the price is a little high. Besides with the new 2013 you will have a full warrantee and you only have to add the mods that you want.

Offer him $6K for his used FZ1, from the prices that I have seen US FZ1's advertised for, this one is way too expensive.

The new one does sound like the better deal.

Sent from my Nexus 5

The price is a bit steep, but also thousands in mods, if they are appealing mods its worth considering. Even if they are not you can sell what you dont care for. ( he has all the factory parts ) Those bags , full exhaust and pcv alone probably add up to $2500-$3000 ( new )
Doubt the bike will sell at that price, make a low offer and see what happens.

Four years newer - brand new, in fact, so "book price" is a lot more with the new one. And you have a warranty. Hard to beat. You decide to sell whichever one you buy within a year - lets say. Which are you gonna get more for? A five year old with lots more miles or a one year old with hardly any miles.

Yeah, the add-ons. But they are all opinion. You've gotta find someone who agrees thsoe things are good and worth what he is suggesting. Heck, you may try his "super" seat and hate it? Just 'cause he likes it doesn't make it good or worth anything. Some people would say it is worth less with all that stuff on it - because it is a lot of work to try to get it back to close to stock.
Just saying.
On the other hand - you might like his stuff. He certainly wants you to. He wants someone to. That's the trouble with modifying any machine - it often even decreases desirability - and thus value. --- Independent of the book value difference - which is substantial - 4 years, a bunch of miles vs new, zero miles, warranty --- and no mystery as to how the machine was treated in it's past.

Don't want to bad-mouth the guy's bike. It may be very nice. But you don't know. And for a similar price - you get one brand new!
He's just not being very realistic with his pricing - or maybe he is looking for that one sucker out there that will buy into all the "good" talk. It's just the automotive business.

Only other thing to consider is what the dealer is actually going to charge you before to get out the door. They are well known for adding a bunch of junk fees.

$8000 is quite a lot for a used FZ1, mods or not. At that price, you might as well buy new. Plus, all those mods may not even be what you're looking for

+1! While those mods are great and some are very expensive (the Givi setup alone is ~ $1500), typically mods add very little value to the bike. The seller would be wise to pull the mods off and sell everything separately, or accept the fact that he will not get the $8k he's looking to get.

In the case, I too would go new. But what I'd really do is look around some more. I got my 07 in mint condition, 2.5 years ago with 8.5k miles on it for $5k even.

Do some more searching for new fz1's on cycle trader. I got mine for 7200.00 and I've seen a couple for 6999.99. You can steal a new one now since they are considered old stock. You might have to drive a couple hours but you'll get a brand new bike and save a lot!

Do some more searching for new fz1's on cycle trader. I got mine for 7200.00 and I've seen a couple for 6999.99. You can steal a new one now since they are considered old stock. You might have to drive a couple hours but you'll get a brand new bike and save a lot!

Hmmm. This is great idea! I also have new bike fever, but spring is the worst time (pricewise) to buy any bike in Ontario. I could easily use my reward miles to fly down, pick up a new scoot and ride her home!

Edit - I've e-mailed 2 dealers that said their dealer agreement with Yamaha won't allow them to sell a motorcycle for export... :disapproval:

Last edited:
I paid $8243.45 OTD for my 09 that was sitting for 3 years on the show room floor. Nothing has changed on the bike sept color, right ? Ask em for out the DOOR price. Go new if you can, and do your own thing on the Fz.

I bought my 09 for $5500 from a private party in October 2013.

It had a couple of mods that I liked, namely flush front turn signals, intigrated rear tail light (turn signals within the brake). Also had a two brothers slip on exhaust and a Givi top case.

THe topcase was a Monolock and not campatable with my Monokey Givi cases (I already had 2 cases) so I bought a new Monolock plate, kept the frame and the Monolock case/plate is sitting on my garage shelf. Will list it on craigslist or whatnot.

My seller wanted $6000. Showed up with $5500 cash and rode home with a 1 owner bike. I love this bike, added a heat troller for my heated gear, two Ram mounts (1 radar detector, 1 for my cell phone which is also my GPS), added a 12v power port, replaced the windscreen and seat with a sargent I got from these forums... and tada! It's my mini FJR sport tourer. Took it on a 2 day ride last weekend, had a blast!

The warranty is nice but let's be honest. It's a 1 year warranty and Yamahas being bullet proof, aren't known for having any major warranty issues in the first year of ownership. That's a moot point for me.

I would offer the guy $6000 or less.

I just bought a 2009 FZ1 with 11.5K on it a couple of months back. I had several of the mods you mention and some the used bike you are considering does not have. I thought that the Sargent seat was going to be too firm but I like it much better than the stock seat.
Regardless of what other people have paid for their bikes, you should choose what you like better. I personally would try to offer less for the used bike with the mods.

I paid $8243.45 OTD for my 09 that was sitting for 3 years on the show room floor. Nothing has changed on the bike sept color, right ? Ask em for out the DOOR price. Go new if you can, and do your own thing on the Fz.

The 2012 and newer ones have a much improved stock fueling, that alone is a very good reason to go for it given the small price difference. In general Mods do not add much value, as many others pointed out. I bought my bike with corbin seat, leo vince titanium exhaust and crg shorty lever and these were very nice to have but I did not like the corbin seat at all. Only the Leo Vince is a nice to have, it is just awesome in sound, performance and looks and would have been about 600$ new, which I would not have spent for a slip on. That said I did not pay any money above the blue book value because of these mods and would not have added any money but it made the decision for this bike instead of two other offers.

Back