New Flat Bars.........Again

After the accident, I opted to get the stock GenI bars instead of the straight bars that I bought the bike with. After riding the bike with the new bars I just couldn't get the feel of it. I've been trying for two weeks to get accustomed to the new setup but It just didn't feel the same. I wound up buying a set of07' GenII bars and installed them today after work.

What were the differences between the two bars?.....

GenI Bars: Much more comfortable when cruising around town and in stop
and go traffic.

Less tiresome on longer trips, especially on my back and neck.

Steering was a bit harder and turn-in a tad slower.

Buffeting from the wind was very annoying.

GenII Bars: A bit more hunched over especially for me with short arms.

Had to make minor adjustments on the throttle cables and brake
line.

Much easier to turn the bike and turn-in much more pronounced.

Way less buffeting and noise from the wind.

Overall a much better feel of control on the bike with these bars.

Now of course these are just my observations and just what works for me at my weight, height, and age. I think I can definitely say that if I had bought this bike with stock bars, and tried a set of straight bars, I would have never gone back to the stock bars. I'm glad I at least tried them once. This is what the bike looks like now. These GenII bars are way heavier than the straight bars I had on the bike at the time of the accident. I can say one thing, had I had the GenII bars at the time of the accident, I probably wouldn't have all the damage to the gas tank that I have now. The aftermarket straight bars I had are so much more flimsier than the Yamaha bars. So I'm happy again! Here are some pics of course.

This is the BEFORE shot:
IMG_0021-2.jpg

This is the AFTER shot:
IMG_0006-4.jpg

This is the protrusion that I was asking Tony about. I'm not sure what it's there for but I left it alone as it wasn't bothering me and wasn't in the way of anything.
IMG_0002-8.jpg

If any GenII owners know what this nipple is for please let me know. Just for my personal knowledge and nothing more. Thanks!

maybe someone mis drilled a hole for the throttle pin and came up with that solution to plug it.....flip the bar 180 and you would not know it????

Yeah Billy, you basically have it backwards. It would normally be on the underside on the right.

That explains why I couldn't find it on the left side of my bars when he asked me about it. Never occurred to me to look on the right side. Oh well I would just leave it alone at this point. Not worth the trouble of taking everything apart again to fix it.

Well, I thought the same thing too but when I had it upside down, the holes didn't line up for the controls. I flipped it over and all the controls matched up with their prospective holes perfectly. Maybe the GenII controls have their pins opposite of the GenI bikes? Not sure but I'm not going to switch it around now cause I don't want to drill more holes for the controls. Thanks guys for letting me in on that one!

I rode Cruzman's Stella today after we finished with my bike. He has the gen2 bars and everytime I ride it, I think I really like them. I just can't decide if I like 'em cause their on his bike and not mine or if I'd really want to change my bars.

there is a definite better difference I just don't know it I'd want that for the long term.

I rode Cruzman's Stella today after we finished with my bike. He has the gen2 bars and everytime I ride it, I think I really like them. I just can't decide if I like 'em cause their on his bike and not mine or if I'd really want to change my bars.

there is a definite better difference I just don't know it I'd want that for the long term.

Is his bike a GenI or GenII?

Well, it turns out that my bars are on upside down too. I decided which way was up by the holes in the bars... Didn't much matter though because both sets of my controls had the index nub removed before I got it.

I love the Gen2 bars. (mainly because they are straight :) )

I put in some 350 mile rides and neither my back or my neck complain about the bars.

Other than being straight I think that the best reason for having them is that my bike accepts steering input better with the lower bars

Nice Billy! That is the first step to getting the Gen II bike! ;)

I had read before that the Gen I owners had to flip the bar to get holes to line up so you are spot-on about how to introduce then to the Gen I bike. No worries as it will gain you nothing to try and flip it and only cause a lot more work.

Glad you have them on for the Sept trip because you're going to need them! The technical roads there will require a lot of input at the bars and 110% of your concentration.

Well, it turns out that my bars are on upside down too. I decided which way was up by the holes in the bars... Didn't much matter though because both sets of my controls had the index nub removed before I got it.

I put in some 350 mile rides and neither my back or my neck complain about the bars.

Other than being straight I think that the best reason for having them is that my bike accepts steering input better with the lower bars

Nice Billy! That is the first step to getting the Gen II bike! ;)

I had read before that the Gen I owners had to flip the bar to get holes to line up so you are spot-on about how to introduce then to the Gen I bike. No worries as it will gain you nothing to try and flip it and only cause a lot more work.

Glad you have them on for the Sept trip because you're going to need them! The technical roads there will require a lot of input at the bars and 110% of your concentration.

Thanks you guys. I knew I wasn't going crazy. At first I figured that they were upside down, but when flipped the holes didn't line up. I figure that I will use the protrusion to hang an air freshner from! ;)

That must be why I like them so much. :surrender: You keep telling me to stop buying stuff for my bike then finding stuff I need to buy. :teeter: If you stop, I'll stop.

My mod list that I thought was nearly complete just got one or two things longer since talking to you beginning with our Thurs conversation. Still not convinced about the aftermarket air filter though. After we get the kinks ironed out I think all I'll need is a new oem filter.

Back