New member welcome thread...

Quick 'new member' introduction: I bought a well used 2001 FZ1 back in 2012 and was an active member on the fz1oa site for a long time, but realized a few years ago that site was not working well and eventually was shut down. I've been riding this FZ for the past 12 years nearly every day for my short commute and it's been great. Just recently I stumbled upon a Gen I with ridiculously low mileage and I'm thinking of buying it, which got me looking to the forums again. Glad to see this place is still active! I just went to sign up for a new account and realized I already had one here since 2013? I guess I'm not really "new" but looking forward to getting back into the community.

I'm just trying to get an idea if all the common modification parts are still available, specifically AIS port blockoffs and jet kits. I have some reading to look forward to now that I re-discovered this place.

Last edited:
Hey all!
My name is Evan and I'm from Utah. I've been riding riding dirt bikes since I was 10 years old and have been watching moto GP for as long as I can remember. This year I made the jump to the street and got this beautiful 2006 FZ1 as my first street bike! My grandpa Ned (ndgibbs15 on YamahaFZ10A forum) had a first gen. I wanted one to be just like him though I opted for a second gen haha. The bike has a two brothers racing slip on muffler, egr delete, and a throttle commander tune thanks to the previous owner. I love the bike and want to keep it forever! I already have a couple mechanical questions so if anyone can point me in the right direction to get some help diagnosing a mechanical issue let me know. Thanks!

Welcome! You sound like me, I grew up riding dirt bikes from a very young age and didn't make the transition to street until I was 30! I started with a 70cc two stroke Zuma then got my 2001 FZ1 a few months later as my first real bike, which I still have and continue to ride.

Quick 'new member' introduction: I bought a well used 2001 FZ1 back in 2012 and was an active member on the fz1oa site for a long time, but realized a few years ago that site was not working well and eventually was shut down. I've been riding this FZ for the past 12 years nearly every day for my short commute and it's been great. Just recently I stumbled upon a Gen I with ridiculously low mileage and I'm thinking of buying it, which got me looking to the forums again. Glad to see this place is still active! I just went to sign up for a new account and realized I already had one here since 2013? I guess I'm not really "new" but looking forward to getting back into the community.

I'm just trying to get an idea if all the common modification parts are still available, specifically AIS port blockoffs and jet kits. I have some reading to look forward to now that I re-discovered this place.

Welcome back! It was a literal ghost town here when I first joined a couple years ago. With the other site now defunct, we've seen a few folks make there way here, which has been nice!

Feel free to share any pics of your bike!

Feel free to share any pics of your bike!
I've had a Silver 2001 FZ1 since 2012. It was dropped by the previous owner and had a dent in the tank, with the fairing and headlights removed and replaced with generic dual round street fighter headlights. The chain and sprockets were shot and the rear tire was destroyed. I replaced all that and have been riding the bike nearly every day since then. No idea of the history or exact mileage. Two years before I bought the bike there's a registration record of 30 some thousand miles, and the odometer I added when I bought the bike has close to 20K now. The title is clean however a VIN search showed it may have been salvaged in a different state, though that's not even clear. Either way I got it for a great price and got my money's worth out of it. Oh yeah it came with a titanium Akrapovic slip on too.

I've been looking to fix the tank and get a new factory fairing but prices have been insane every time I looked so I gave up on that. I've been looking at buying a new bike too, MT-10, MT-09, Z1000, Multistrada, Super Duke GT, but can't justify the cost when this "old" FZ1 suits my needs just fine... just wish I had a fairing for more comfortable highway cruising and usable headlights.

Then a few weeks ago I spotted a barn find 2004 FZ1 and bought it. I won't say the price but it's absurd. Owner got it from a relative who bought it new in 04, rode 3000 miles, then parked it under a cover alongside his house where it sat since then. The paint and plastics are in surprisingly good shape, just needs a good cleaning, new tires, new grips, and a few other pieces. Oh and that Akrapovic slip-on from the silver bike is coming over.

The bike starts and runs, and idles with the choke on but sputters as soon as you give it too much throttle. Carbs are certainly clogged and are coming off and getting cleaned along with new o-rings. Now to look and see if I should install the Ivan's jet kit, or use the RavenRider carb mods that I made to my silver one.

Last edited:
Back